Author Topic: Draft  (Read 2369 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Draft
« on: March 29, 2005, 10:12:14 AM »
20 year old Center from Australia.
Played for Utah in NCAAs.  Not so hot in loss to Kentucky.  Still put up decent #s.
Talk is he may be #1.  You want him at #1?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Draft
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 10:39:06 AM »
He looks soft to me.  Sure hes having his way with college ball players due to his height but did you see what happend when Kentucky started to make him work and eat wood?  The guy totally got out of his game and even admitted to that being his worst game ever.  Kentucky did an excellent job of pounding away at his thin body down the stretch.  He seems like a smaller more active Shawn Bradley.

Im not a Kentucky fan but our corporate lawyer forced me to watch the game saying if I didnt he'd have to take legal action against me :laugh:  He says I remind him of the young kid with the shaved head who plays guard for Kentucky.  #22 I believe.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 10:39:38 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Draft
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 10:42:44 AM »
Concur.
Whether or not he can develop i don't know, havent seen enough.
I'd want a high schooler instead.  One with more hops and athleticism.

Word is Bogut came out because he knows he'll be top 3 at wor$$t.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Draft
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 10:56:28 AM »
Concur.
Whether or not he can develop i don't know, havent seen enough.
I'd want a high schooler instead.  One with more hops and athleticism.

Word is Bogut came out because he knows he'll be top 3 at wor$$t.
I havent seen him much outside of the tournament so my opinion is limited based on that but he doesnt stand out to me as someone that would hype me up about the draft.  He looks like a generic big man who, just like you were getting at, doesnt to seem to be all that athletic.  Youve got to be more than just tall in the NBA to be real good, ask Shawn Bradley. You would think id pay more attention seeing how the Lakers are fighting for the most lotto balls come draft time  :D

I think him and whats his name from Duke are going to be the top 2 this year.   Real exciting draft =/
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 10:57:44 AM by westkoast »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Draft
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 11:20:25 AM »
Duke?  Williams or Redick?

Williams, who I'm not sure will declare, I don't think will be more than a top 5 pick.  Redick, if he declares, won't go top 20.

I think Bogut can actually play in the paint, and I don't think he typically shies from contact.  but he's a weak #1 pick

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Draft
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 12:14:37 PM »
The draft is so iffy these days, with all the young guys coming out, including the high school kids. Only one in three ever really accomplish anything, and the rest barely look like they belong in the NBA.

On a side note about drafts, it looks like the 49'ers are looking at this year's NFL draft's #1 slot as unworthy of the options, and are now pursuing a trade for a quarterback. With San Diego. For an unused backup who was thought to be a pretty good quarterback coming out of college last year. Phillip Rivers.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Draft
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 12:33:45 PM »
Duke?  Williams or Redick?

Williams, who I'm not sure will declare, I don't think will be more than a top 5 pick.  Redick, if he declares, won't go top 20.

I think Bogut can actually play in the paint, and I don't think he typically shies from contact.  but he's a weak #1 pick
I was speaking about Williams.  Even tho Duke looked pathetic on Friday he did try his damnest to get the team in striking distance.  I think he will go in the first 3 slots because I dont see too many players making a huge buzz.  

Bogut seemed to be taken out of his game by a little bit more physical play by Kentucky.  A number of times in the first half Kentucky really stuck it to him in the paint and he ended up on the ground.  To me thats when he took himself out of theg ame.

Who is the next big thing out of High School because the talk as been real real quiet?

Offline NYCdog

• View Profile
    • Email
Draft
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 11:04:49 PM »

Who is the next big thing out of High School because the talk as been real real quiet?

A little late with info....but still chiming in....

Greg Oden of Indiana...kid will prolly end up being a center or power foward. 7-0, 245 pounds and only 15 years old.

The say he will be the next KG.

He will drop in 2006.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 11:07:25 PM by NYCdog »

Guest_Joe Vancil

Draft
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 09:21:02 PM »
A name you may want to keep an eye on is Martynas Andriuskevicius, a young center being trained by Arvydas Sabonis.

Personally, I'm hoping he goes to the Minnesota Timberwolves - the fact that they need a center isn't the reason, though;  I just want to see how many letters can get crammed onto one jersey.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Draft
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 09:50:40 PM »
'Vicious will be a top 10 pick, no doubt.  Probably top 5 when all is said and done.  He would have came out last year if he had gotten a top 10 guarantee, of which he was close to with Phoenix at 7 before they traded the pick.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Draft
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 08:43:30 AM »
'Vicious will be a top 10 pick, no doubt.  Probably top 5 when all is said and done.  He would have came out last year if he had gotten a top 10 guarantee, of which he was close to with Phoenix at 7 before they traded the pick.
I've not heard anything about the next great HS kid but I've been hearing great things about a 14 year old, he's got an odd first name, starts with a D.  He's about 6'6 plays the point and has a terrific jumper.  Did I mention he's 14 and still growing?  I think he's been on the cover of a magazine or two and had a half hour TV show dedicated to him, that's how I heard about him.  SWEET SWEET jumper.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Draft
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 10:54:50 AM »
Well, the high school prospect the pros are looking at for THIS year, is Monta Ellis, out of Lanier H.S. Mississippi. Pro scouts are drooling over the 6'3" 19 year old, who is considering going to Mississippi State instead of entering the draft. His skills have impressed the scouts, one of which said. "There are five or six point guards in the NBA right now who can't play with that kid."

His preference, or at least what he has told his coach, is that he would like to play college ball for two years first, unless he is guaranteed a top 15 selection in the upcoming draft.

He, along with Greg Oden of Indiana, were co-players of the year in the latest Parade rankings.

One of the local articles on him.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../502200350/1177
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 10:56:37 AM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

guest-koast

Draft
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 08:27:33 PM »
Man when's the last time (Aside from Lebron) that there was a point guard with alot of hype?  Always hear about the big men and the shooting guards.  What about the head of the offense?