Author Topic: HUGE night for basketball . . .  (Read 3555 times)

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
HUGE night for basketball . . .
« on: February 26, 2004, 01:42:36 PM »
Tonight the matchups are:

Lakers vs. Kings at LA:
     The Lakers have a LOT to prove -- the Kings have a lot to gain.  If SacTown loses, they simply say, "we've beaten them already and we don't have CWebb or Miller" -- if they win, they say, "we don't even have to have our whole roster to beat LA -- perhaps next time we simply play our bench and give our starters the night off."  This game is BIG for the Lakers -- not season ending at this point -- the Lakers already have enough experience to work through it but it is a BIG game tonight for the Lakers -- they have a lot to prove.

Spurs vs. Mavs at Dallas:
     Same with the Spurs as the Lakers -- the Spurs have a LOT to prove and the Mavs have a lot to gain.  If the Spurs win, the Mavs simply say, "well, we beat them in the past and we should have won tonight" -- if the Mavs win they say, "our past struggles with the Spurs are in the past -- the loss of DRob as well as Speedy and Jackson have made this team beatable on a regular basis.  The Spurs don't want to see us in the playoffs."  This game is BIG for the Spurs -- the Spurs have to prove themselves -- otherwise they continue to prove they can't beat the top teams in the league (2-7 isn't a very good record -- that's why Spurs fans keep telling themselves they have won the last two -- lose this one and their hopes get dashed once again).  The Spurs have a lot to prove -- the Mavs have a lot to gain.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 01:49:16 PM »
Sweeeeetttt!  They BOTH better be televised.  Must win games for LA and SA?  I don't think so, both teams  are experienced and have proved themselves in the playoffs.  Pressure is on Sac and the Mavs.
Paul

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 02:00:25 PM »
I agree with your assesment, MUST win for LA and SA, but I don't expect much from the lazy Lakers on the back end of a back to back running their legs off in Denver.  The Kings will pick the Lakers defense apart.  Still, if the Lakers can't beat the Kings without Miller, Webber AND Jackson in the line up on the back end of a TRIPLE back to back to back ;) then the Lakers, George/Slava, need to be publicly flogged!  I expect to see big minutes for Rush/Walton/Fox.  

I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad Fox is back, I can't stand Samaki George..err...Devean Walker....err whatever that meathead's name is!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 02:06:49 PM »
Sweeeeetttt!  They BOTH better be televised.  Must win games for LA and SA?  I don't think so, both teams  are experienced and have proved themselves in the playoffs.  Pressure is on Sac and the Mavs.
What pressure -- the Kings need to prove that they can beat the Lakers again?  The Mavs need to prove that they can beat the Spurs again as well?  As if two wins against the Spurs to date this year aren't enough?  The Mavs need to prove again that the Spurs can't beat any of the top teams?  

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 02:15:49 PM »
Randy, you forgot to post this like it means something.....

San Antonio
2-7 record vs Elite teams so far

Lakers
5-5 record vs Elite teams so far

Wolves
6-4 record vs Elite teams so far

Kings
3-5 record vs Elite teams so far

Mavs
8-3 record vs Elite teams so far

It wasn't so long ago that you were a big proponent of the wait until it counts (i.e. playoffs) theory.  :lol:  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 02:29:07 PM »
Randy, you forgot to post this like it means something.....

San Antonio
2-7 record vs Elite teams so far

Lakers
5-5 record vs Elite teams so far

Wolves
6-4 record vs Elite teams so far

Kings
3-5 record vs Elite teams so far

Mavs
8-3 record vs Elite teams so far

It wasn't so long ago that you were a big proponent of the wait until it counts (i.e. playoffs) theory.  :lol:
It wasn't so long ago that you were a big proponent of the wait until it counts (i.e. playoffs) theory.

Hmm, almost like the one who opposed the fact that the regular season didn't count.  It seems like I've heard someone oppose that concept in the past, am I right?

As for the idea of "flipping the switch," it's a horrible concept and it shows lack of professionalism, self-respect and respect for fans and the game.  But that's pretty much Shaq (and to a lesser degree DRob) all the way.  You won't see Kobe do that, however.  He may have bad games but he won't mail them in.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 02:32:06 PM »
As for the idea of "flipping the switch," it's a horrible concept and it shows lack of professionalism, self-respect and respect for fans and the game.  But that's pretty much Shaq (and to a lesser degree DRob) all the way.  You won't see Kobe do that, however.  He may have bad games but he won't mail them in.
To even hint that DRob use to "mail" in games or compare his competiveness to Shaq is a disgrace to basketball.  However seeing who it is that wrote that statement I guess it should come as no surprise.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 02:37:00 PM »
As for the idea of "flipping the switch," it's a horrible concept and it shows lack of professionalism, self-respect and respect for fans and the game.  But that's pretty much Shaq (and to a lesser degree DRob) all the way.  You won't see Kobe do that, however.  He may have bad games but he won't mail them in.
To even hint that DRob use to "mail" in games or compare his competiveness to Shaq is a disgrace to basketball.  However seeing who it is that wrote that statement I guess it should come as no surprise.
DRob and Shaq both worked so hard in the off-season -- just not on basketball, huh?

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 02:38:13 PM »
To even hint that DRob use to "mail" in games or compare his competiveness to Shaq is a disgrace to basketball.

And it's not a disgrace to bball -- just to the Spurs (and yes, I agree, it was a disgrace).

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004, 04:12:14 PM »
D-Rob, in comparison to Shaq, worked out hard every summer.  Only knock on D-Rob was that he didn't posess that killer instinct. He sure had it when he beat out Shaq for that scoring title though!  What was it, 70 something points in one game!  
Paul

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2004, 04:15:00 PM »
D-Rob, in comparison to Shaq, worked out hard every summer.  Only knock on D-Rob was that he didn't posess that killer instinct. He sure had it when he beat out Shaq for that scoring title though!  What was it, 70 something points in one game!
In work ethic, they didn't compare, Dave was far superior.

In competiveness, they didn't compare, Shaq was far superior.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2004, 04:30:20 PM »
I GUESS I would agree. I just don't see Shaq being all that competitive. NO WHERE NEAR the level of Kobe, that's for sure.
Paul

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2004, 04:38:59 PM »
I GUESS I would agree. I just don't see Shaq being all that competitive. NO WHERE NEAR the level of Kobe, that's for sure.
Shaq is not, never was and never will be in the same class as Kobe in that regard.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Guest_JoMal

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2004, 06:30:17 PM »
It's a little early, guys, to be calling either of these games MUST WINS.

The Lakers are getting close to their full strength and just have to maintain until Malone comes back and finishes the deal.

The Kings continue to manage with key players out of the lineup for going on four years now. They probably NEVER will know how to play at full strength. So it hardly matters that Webber, Miller, and Bobby Pops are all sitting this one out - chances are if it weren't them, it would be someone else.

But we are down to our third string power forward now - a kid named Darius Songaila who was giftwrapped in the preseason to us by Boston's Danny Ainge, who did not see any use for a foreign born, Wake Forest trained bruiser in the Eastern Conference. All he gave up was a rookie who is averaging 14.2 points, 8.8 rebounds and 34.6 minutes in his last five games as a starter.

Honestly, I am worred about Ainge and what he is doing.

As for the Mav/Spurs, San Antonio has nothing to prove about their efforts late in the season against the better teams, but the Mavericks still do. Dallas needs to win this game more then SA to prove to itself they are still to be considered contenders this season, because I am having my doubts.  

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2004, 06:38:09 PM »
It's a little early, guys, to be calling either of these games MUST WINS.

The Lakers are getting close to their full strength and just have to maintain until Malone comes back and finishes the deal.

The Kings continue to manage with key players out of the lineup for going on four years now. They probably NEVER will know how to play at full strength. So it hardly matters that Webber, Miller, and Bobby Pops are all sitting this one out - chances are if it weren't them, it would be someone else.

But we are down to our third string power forward now - a kid named Darius Songaila who was giftwrapped in the preseason to us by Boston's Danny Ainge, who did not see any use for a foreign born, Wake Forest trained bruiser in the Eastern Conference. All he gave up was a rookie who is averaging 14.2 points, 8.8 rebounds and 34.6 minutes in his last five games as a starter.

Honestly, I am worred about Ainge and what he is doing.

As for the Mav/Spurs, San Antonio has nothing to prove about their efforts late in the season against the better teams, but the Mavericks still do. Dallas needs to win this game more then SA to prove to itself they are still to be considered contenders this season, because I am having my doubts.
Umm, JoMal, Songaila would still be struggling in Boston -- struggling to even get off the bench.  It's a LOT easier to play well on a team where the defenses are focusing on other players (see Peja, Bibby, Vlade, etc.).  Why do you think Mark Madsen still is playing in the NBA?  

There is a lot to worry about when it comes to Ainge and Boston but Songaila isn't one of them.