Author Topic: Movies  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Movies
« on: January 24, 2005, 03:45:36 PM »
Anyone seen this.  For some reason its only in 4 cities at present, due to open in more on Jan 7th but still not nationwide.  What up with that?

Clints last movie was intense, well done, too dark for me "Mystic River".

If anyone has a take on Million dollar Baby please post.

Ditto "Coach Carter."  

Racing Stripes is good even if cornball.  Ignore the paid off immoral critics, take your young uns to this movie.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Movies
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 11:33:01 AM »
go to www.rottentomatoes.com

Has tons of different reviews...
Paul

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Movies
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 02:19:19 PM »
Skander, Caleb and I saw "Coach Carter."  All three of us liked it - and it's rare that all three of us descibe a movie as "good."
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Movies
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 12:00:37 PM »
Coach Carters highlights for me was when the entire team volunteered to help do the remaining punishment pushups and suicides for Cruz.  I found the # of these for not only Cruz but for other violaters to be extremely phony, no teenager on Earth including the Guiness book record holder could even come close to 2500 pushups and suicide sprints in 4 days.  Ditto going from being almost unable to read / skipping 90% of classes to pulling 2.3 GPA.  Also while under the umbrella of "discipline", Coach Carter really came off much more as simply the negative reinforcement critical barking sterotype coaching mentality that i grew up with, hated then and hate now.  Bobby Knight et al.  

He did have some positive reinforcement and that i liked.  In addition to stressing team over "I"  I do get it that they needed discipline and boundrys.
I liked how off the court Cruz felt he could approach Coach after his druggie dealing friend?? was shot.

Of those of you who really did grow up in this kind of 'hood, how much of this was realistic/embellished?  While i know its based on a true story who are we kidding.  Hollywood lie?  Gasp, perish the thought.

Joe V and co i could live with all the above but the pro abortion part really gagged me.  Props to the teenage girl for her stance at the time frame upon getting pregnant up until she caved.  Yet when biofather boyfriend f-i-n-a-l-l-y grows a heart and accepts responsibility, its too late.  They way they filmed both of their responses after that was  :puke: .   It was nice to see the couple stay together but the feelings/thoughts (lack of feeling?) towards the dead baby was just gross.

Nonetheless that many of (all?) the team graduated high school, made
it not only out of the hood but 6 players on to get college degrees was an uplifting ending.

sf101 I've gone to rottentoms before and while its somewhat useful, i smell the same old paid off critics running the show.  I can't see who it is that rates these.  Does the site tell?  Plus if its the *public* who can post that's not going to stop Phonywood from ordering their minimum wage employees from posting 7000 times for the film they are backing.   Ive seen the same thing on Yahoo users review.  Helpful but also full of 'Posers.
Example the write up on Life of Steve Missou on RottenToms.  Its a total loser movie.  Yet the tommatoes writer sucks up and rates it high.  Still overall it only got a 48%, thats cool.  

I'm interested in seeing Born Into Brothels and possibly Sideways.
None of you took your offspring to Racing Stipes. :nonono:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 11:38:08 AM by Reality »