Author Topic: JoMal, what do you think of Cuttino Mobley  (Read 1484 times)

Guest_Randy

JoMal, what do you think of Cuttino Mobley
« on: January 26, 2005, 09:43:53 AM »
as a King?  I really thought it was going to take some time for him to settle into life as a King but he looks as if he settled in pretty well (as well as pretty quickly).  His 10 assists simply amazes me (not complaining since he is on my FNBA team) since he doesn't seem to have ever done that before.  Is there something in the water in SacTown that causes a person to pass the ball more than they have ever done before in their life?  Mobley isn't the defender that Doug was but he is a decent defender.  I really thought that the biggest thing SacTown would miss with Doug is his leadersion (on and off the court).  

SacTown got spanked in SA but their spanking of NJ came without CWebb (perhaps Miller needs to try and step up his game more often -- he seems too eager to defer to Webber (who certainly isn't the player he used to be).

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 01:47:10 PM »
as a King?  I really thought it was going to take some time for him to settle into life as a King but he looks as if he settled in pretty well (as well as pretty quickly).  His 10 assists simply amazes me (not complaining since he is on my FNBA team) since he doesn't seem to have ever done that before.  Is there something in the water in SacTown that causes a person to pass the ball more than they have ever done before in their life?  Mobley isn't the defender that Doug was but he is a decent defender.  I really thought that the biggest thing SacTown would miss with Doug is his leadersion (on and off the court).  

SacTown got spanked in SA but their spanking of NJ came without CWebb (perhaps Miller needs to try and step up his game more often -- he seems too eager to defer to Webber (who certainly isn't the player he used to be).
We have noticed that Cutino's assist average, in the short time he has been in Sacramento, has jumped up to 4.3 per game, from 1.8 while in Orlando, and his career level of 2.7. After only 6 games, that is way too early to confirm a shift in his passing ability, but he said after last night's game that his confidence in his teammates making shots has made him want to pass the ball more. The "unknown" factor was how his court vision would be in doing that and it mostly has been very good - last night it was excellent, as some of those ten assists were perfectly thrown.

I can't figure out why he did not utilize his passing more while in Houston or Orlando. From what I've seen from him up to now, he is actually an above average passer.  

I noticed that after he was removed from the game in the second half last night, he went directly up to Pete Carill and squatted in front of him for at least five minutes while the game was going on, asking him to explain a specific Princeton offensive play he flubbed just minutes earlier. 'Coachy' diagrammed the play right there for him. Carill has an absolutely incredible basketball mind, and if Mobley is on your fantasy team, you might find his stats are going to improve across the board, especially assists. The King's guards are required to be playmakers from both positions.

Its the system, Randy. If the Princeton ball-movement is fun to watch, apparently it is twice as much fun to play. Cutino is turning out to be a fast learner, though his shooting, of all things, has not been as stellar as it has been even though statistically it looks the same. He runs hot and cold.

Defensively, he has been a bit of a surprise, but the Kings are starting to use a zone more and it suits him. He has shown good anticipation.

Doug was a 'quiet' leader with the Kings, and his job of defending the toughest opponent every night led Adelman to install the zone more often now that he is gone. Cutino, on the other hand, was a bit reluctant to leave Orlando at first. Now, you can see a gleam in his eye during games, and unmasked enthusiasm afterwards discussing how things went and what to expect in the future.

He is fitting in well with the rest of the team, and they are welcoming him into their close-knit world, from what I have seen. What I have liked most about him personnally has been his throwing his body on the floor after loose balls and his drives to the basket where he often lands hard. Not that I like the idea he may hurt himself, but the activity of chasing balls and driving the lane hard are aspects sorely lacking with some of his teammates.  

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 01:53:16 PM »
Glad hes working out for ya guys....still dont like the trade but it sounds like you are happy with his play so far.

Cat has always been a streaky shooter JoMaL...I wouldnt expect that to change.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 01:58:18 PM »
I can't figure out why he did not utilize his passing more while in Houston or Orlando. From what I've seen from him up to now, he is actually an above average passer.  

Because of who his backcourt mate was.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 02:11:36 PM »
as a King?  I really thought it was going to take some time for him to settle into life as a King but he looks as if he settled in pretty well (as well as pretty quickly).  His 10 assists simply amazes me (not complaining since he is on my FNBA team) since he doesn't seem to have ever done that before.  Is there something in the water in SacTown that causes a person to pass the ball more than they have ever done before in their life?  Mobley isn't the defender that Doug was but he is a decent defender.  I really thought that the biggest thing SacTown would miss with Doug is his leadersion (on and off the court). 

We have noticed that Cutino's assist average, in the short time he has been in Sacramento, has jumped up to 4.3 per game, from 1.8 while in Orlando, and his career level of 2.7. After only 6 games, that is way too early to confirm a shift in his passing ability, but he said after last night's game that his confidence in his teammates making shots has made him want to pass the ball more. The "unknown" factor was how his court vision would be in doing that and it mostly has been very good - last night it was excellent, as some of those ten assists were perfectly thrown.

I noticed that after he was removed from the game in the second half last night, he went directly up to Pete Carill and squatted in front of him for at least five minutes while the game was going on, asking him to explain a specific Princeton offensive play he flubbed just minutes earlier. 'Coachy' diagrammed the play right there for him. Carill has an absolutely incredible basketball mind, and if Mobley is on your fantasy team, you might find his stats are going to improve across the board, especially assists. The King's guards are required to be playmakers from both positions.

Its the system, Randy. If the Princeton ball-movement is fun to watch, apparently it is twice as much fun to play. Cutino is turning out to be a fast learner, though his shooting, of all things, has not been as stellar as it has been even though statistically it looks the same. He runs hot and cold.

Defensively, he has been a bit of a surprise, but the Kings are starting to use a zone more and it suits him. He has shown good anticipation.

Doug was a 'quiet' leader with the Kings, and his job of defending the toughest opponent every night led Adelman to install the zone more often now that he is gone. Cutino, on the other hand, was a bit reluctant to leave Orlando at first. Now, you can see a gleam in his eye during games, and unmasked enthusiasm afterwards discussing how things went and what to expect in the future.

He is fitting in well with the rest of the team, and they are welcoming him into their close-knit world, from what I have seen. What I have liked most about him personnally has been his throwing his body on the floor after loose balls and his drives to the basket where he often lands hard. Not that I like the idea he may hurt himself, but the activity of chasing balls and driving the lane hard are aspects sorely lacking with some of his teammates.
JoMal,

You weren't ever going to see Cuttino's passing ability in Houston/Orlando -- Francis only knows one type of offense -- isolation, drive and dish -- okay, add to that the jack up a shot from anywhere on the court at any time in the shot clock.  A point guard usually sets the mindset offensively and Cuttino adopted the same format as Stevie Franchise.

You WILL like Mobley's defense -- he isn't on the same level as Christie but he is an underrated defender -- did an outstanding job on Kobe last year in the first round of the playoffs.  Couldn't contain Kobe but there isn't anyone who can do that (esp. for a series) by themselves.  

I am quite surprised how quickly he seems to be fitting into SacTown.  It looks and sounds as if he is enjoying it immensely and is having fun on the court.

By-the-way, Mobley is a VERY streaky shooter (see Anthony Peeler) but a better cutter than Christie was -- and a better penetrator.  He is a better penetrator than Bibby is -- perhaps as good as Bobby Jackson was (not sure Bobby will ever get back to the skills he once had).

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 02:36:45 PM »
Because of who his backcourt mate was.
Right. Of course. How could I forget he has only played with the "Franchise" as his backcourt mate up to now. Maybe it will be Cutino who is going to find himself instead of the high expectations they have for Stevie in Orlando now that Mobley is gone?

The Magic do not seem to be doing any better after the trade, going, I believe, 3-3 so far. Christie is playing less minutes, with fewer assists, points, and rebounds then he had in Sacramento.

Mobley, on the other hand, is really only shooting a fraction under his career average and what he was averaging in Orlando - 42.0 compared to 43.2, and his scoring average has gone from 16.0 to 16.5. But the Kings have him on the court for 6.4 minutes more per game.

You know, if anyone were to question whether the system or the coaching in the NBA actually makes a difference regarding a player's development, Mobley could now be used as a model to that theory. After parts of six seasons playing next to Steve Francis, he now gets to play with a wide-open offense in a completely different usage in the offense.

After the season, a comparison of his stats between Orlando and Sacramento will be enlightening.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 03:03:03 PM »
Actually, many folks forget that Cuttino Mobley started out his career in Houston as their point guard - playing alongside Michael Dickerson, who played the 2.  He's always been a good passer, but has essentially never played the role of distributor as much as one of gunner.  Back then, Houston ran the ball through Olajuwon in the isolation offense, and the next year, Francis arrived.  Mobley's never had a good chance to show how good of a passer he is.

Sacramento robbed Orlando on this one.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 05:00:33 PM »
Sacramento robbed Orlando on this one.
Williamson to Toronto for Christie.....to Orlando for Mobley.

Billy Owens to Golden State for Mitch Richmond.....to Washington for Chris Webber.

Turkoglu and Pollard to San Antonio and Indiana, with foot scrapings thrown in between the Pacers and Spurs, and Brad Miller.

Jason Williams to Memphis for Mike Bibby.

Two second round draft picks to Boston for the rights to Darius Songaila.

Geoff Petrie has been an equal opportunity robber within the NBA.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 05:01:52 PM by JoMal »

rickotreat

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2005, 08:08:30 PM »
Geoff deserves some major recognition for this.  He's moved a lot of players and the Kings are still a great team.  To make so many changes and for them to continue to play at a high-level (.700 ball!) is extremely impressive.

Cuttino is better than I realized.  Just shows what a difference different teamates and a system can make.  It helps his assists that he has so many good targets to pass to.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 11:37:27 AM »
Geoff deserves some major recognition for this.  He's moved a lot of players and the Kings are still a great team.  To make so many changes and for them to continue to play at a high-level (.700 ball!) is extremely impressive.

Cuttino is better than I realized.  Just shows what a difference different teamates and a system can make.  It helps his assists that he has so many good targets to pass to.
Yeah, so how does the League reward him after he goes out of his way once in Sacramento to be cooperative with the media and does a national TV interview, even putting on an NBA-logoed scull cap just before the camera starts rolling?

Why, they contact him about a new League rule that states NBA players cannot wear any kind of headgear when doing TV interviews and if he does it again, he will be fined.

An NBA-logoed skull cap, BTW.

Take a look at this story from the SacTown Bee in today's paper:

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story...-13023062c.html