Author Topic: OT : Astros vs Cards  (Read 1764 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
OT : Astros vs Cards
« on: October 19, 2004, 12:09:45 AM »
Superman (Beltran) does it again.  Two 1 hitters going into the 9th, and then Beltran singles and steals second, which sets up everything.  LaRussa blew it.  You have a 2-2 count on Berkman, and then you decide to walk him intentionally  :crazy: ?

Bob Brenly and McCarver said he should but I SAY NO WAY.  OK if it is 3-2, you give him nothing to hit, but this was 2-2 so I say to pitch to him, and if you can get him to strikeout, then walk Kent, and pitch to Ensberg.  Lifetime Berkman and Kent are both 2-8 vs Isringhausen, while Ensberg is 0-3.  Berkman and Kent are far better hitters than Ensberg.

What risk do you have pitching to Berkman, with 2 strikes?  Here are the scenarios

1.)  Berkman gets a hit then game over, but same with Kent.  No one is throwing Superman out trying to score from second on a single.  I repeat NO ONE, except Vlad on a hard hit ball right at him, but no way Walker, Edmonds, or Sanders throw him out.
2.)  You get Berkman to fly out to right or right center and Beltran takes third, but so what, you walk Kent and Ensberg and pitch to Vizciano with bases loaded and 2 outs.
3.)  A ground ball to the right side, and Beltran takes 3rd, and you walk Kent and Ensberg and pitch to Vizciano.
4.)  A ground ball to the left side, and you hold Beltran at second, and you then walk Kent and pitch to Ensberg.

The only case where it is smart to walk Berkman is if Kent grounds into a DP.  Now yes Kent does ground into a lot of DPs, probably 12-18 a year.  A DP is not a guarantee though, Kent only hits into a DP maybe once every 8-12 games.  That doesn't happen all that often.  That is the ONLY case where walking Berkman and pitching to Kent is the best case scenario.

I am sorry, but you have an advantage of being 2-2 on Berkman, DON"T GIVE IT AWAY, until you have to.  If you miss 2-2 and it goes 3-2, then throw in the zone Berkman struggles the most with.  If he walks then you are in the same situation you would have been had you intentionally walked him.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 12:36:45 AM »
How about Brad Lidge.  That guy throws BB's.  He pitchs the 9th, throwing only 9 pitches, 7 for strikes, and strikes out Larry Walker and Albert Pujols with fastballs in the high 90's, and one wicked curve ball to Pujols.  Where or where have you gone Octavio Dotel?  Trade Dotel for Beltran and make Lidge the closer.  Move of the year, without a doubt.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 12:39:16 AM »
Superman (Beltran) does it again.  Two 1 hitters going into the 9th, and then Beltran singles and steals second, which sets up everything.  LaRussa blew it.  You have a 2-2 count on Berkman, and then you decide to walk him intentionally  :crazy: ?

I am sorry, but you have an advantage of being 2-2 on Berkman, DON"T GIVE IT AWAY, until you have to.  If you miss 2-2 and it goes 3-2, then throw in the zone Berkman struggles the most with.  If he walks then you are in the same situation you would have been had you intentionally walked him.
zig,
concur with all.  Including 1 2 3 4.  I just took it out to save space.
Now if you are doing Astro strategy, do you start Clemons in Game 6 short rest or Game 7 full rest?

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 12:44:50 AM »
Superman (Beltran) does it again.  Two 1 hitters going into the 9th, and then Beltran singles and steals second, which sets up everything.  LaRussa blew it.  You have a 2-2 count on Berkman, and then you decide to walk him intentionally  :crazy: ?

I am sorry, but you have an advantage of being 2-2 on Berkman, DON"T GIVE IT AWAY, until you have to.  If you miss 2-2 and it goes 3-2, then throw in the zone Berkman struggles the most with.  If he walks then you are in the same situation you would have been had you intentionally walked him.
zig,
concur with all.  Including 1 2 3 4.  I just took it out to save space.
Now if you are doing Astro strategy, do you start Clemons in Game 6 short rest or Game 7 full rest?
Game 7.  You lead the series, so play to your advantage, and make sure Clemens is ready to go if need be in game 7.  That also allows you to pitch Oswalt if needed in relief on 3 days rest in a game 7.  Also allows you to pitch Oswalt in Game 1 of the WS, and possibly he gets 3 starts.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 12:58:03 AM »
Game 7.  You lead the series, so play to your advantage, and make sure Clemens is ready to go if need be in game 7.  That also allows you to pitch Oswalt if needed in relief on 3 days rest in a game 7.  Also allows you to pitch Oswalt in Game 1 of the WS, and possibly he gets 3 starts.
Yep.  Actually with Ozwalt i would add that it allows you to pitch Oz in relief in Game 7 if such occassion arises.  Garner has finally gotten out of the way and allowed
1. Clemons/Ozwalt 2. Wheeler (if middle needed) 3. Lidge.   (Well tonight how could anyone have forseen Brandon Backe going 8 innings of 1 hit shutout.)

Should it come to 7 I would use 1. Clemons, Wheeler Lidge Ozwalt with 234 being  whatever order it took to keep the lead secure or keep score close if behind.  If Lidge has to come in earlier and Oz has to close then so be it.  

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 08:22:12 AM »
Heh, don't worry Zig, I'm leaving sports topics on here.

It's just fantasy and politics i'm moving.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 08:58:08 AM »
Screw basketball, screw politics, I think we should change the nature of this board and just make it a BASEBALL board!!   :up:

Fantastic playoffs all around, MAJOR props to Boston, they are showing some knads by fighting even though they were down. Lidge was amazing last night. I say rest Clements til Game # 7 if needed.
Paul