Author Topic: The latest on Peja....  (Read 1431 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
The latest on Peja....
« on: September 28, 2004, 11:44:42 AM »
Joe was interviewed at the Monarch/Sparks playoff game in Sactown the other day and naturally he was asked about Peja. He said he and Gavin had spoken to him and that he fully expects Peja to report to training camp on time next week and play out his contract here in Sacramento.

His opinion was that everything is just great now with Peja. (Hummm) Webber has been working out in town for some time, but no one has asked him about Peja, or he just isn't talking. Peja also has not been talking to anyone, but he redid a local commercial for a specialty shoe design store. (Peja had plantar fasciitis himself a year or two back) What was interesting was that he says in the commercial that the rumors were all wrong, he still was on the team - the foot store team (ha ha)  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Guest_Randy

The latest on Peja....
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 11:53:46 AM »
he fully expects Peja to report to training camp on time next week and play out his contract here in Sacramento.

I don't think that Peja is the kind of player who will pull some of the antics that have been pulled by players recently:  Stevie Francis, TMac, Shaq, now Carter.  Peja is a lot like Ray Allen -- they are both players who want to be traded but they have a contract and will play it out -- they won't hold their team hostage.

However, I think there's a lot in that interview that one COULD read that ISN'T said:  Where is Joe saying they WANT Peja longterm?  That he is a key to their franchise and they don't want him to EVER leave.  Comments like expecting him to come to training camp and play out his contract leave a LOT unsaid -- the Kings would be dumb to allow Peja to leave for nothing.  Maybe the Lakers can keep Vlade around long enough to encourage him to suit up in purple and gold!   :nod:  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
The latest on Peja....
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 12:29:14 PM »
Well, I don't know Randy. They ran the tease during a promo for the news show, with what I said earlier, then said "Listen to the whole interview on Monday, which I missed. So maybe he did talk about Peja's long-term status, but I did not hear it.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
The latest on Peja....
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 12:36:13 PM »
Randy has a point. Maybe the wording in that quote was bad.  Hopefully that interview you missed talks about keeping Peja for the long term.  Not just for the remainder of his current contract.  If he leaves so does the team's chances of staying in the top pack of elite basketball teams.  You can always build around a shooter of his caliber.  

I would like to write the Maloofs and tell them 'Stop catering to Webber and focus in on Peja.  Recruit more Euro's and less street thugs from Ruckers.'
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 12:38:16 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
The latest on Peja....
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 02:32:16 PM »
Randy has a point. Maybe the wording in that quote was bad.  Hopefully that interview you missed talks about keeping Peja for the long term.  Not just for the remainder of his current contract.  If he leaves so does the team's chances of staying in the top pack of elite basketball teams.  You can always build around a shooter of his caliber.  

I would like to write the Maloofs and tell them 'Stop catering to Webber and focus in on Peja.  Recruit more Euro's and less street thugs from Ruckers.'
You know, since the stupid Webber interview, and the demand to be traded statement by Peja, this is just about the only statement I have heard for about two months.

Webber has been completely mute, which is a good thing, but nothing about Peja has been said by anyone until now. With training camp starting next week, I have to think the King's management group are collectively holding their breath.  

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
The latest on Peja....
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 05:31:13 PM »
I see nothing in Peja's personality that would indicate he would do anything other than honor his committment and give 110% out on the floor every night, unlike the spoiled punks that this country raises to play basketball.

That being said, the problem is not whether Peja will stay or play his best, it is whether the Kings should cut their losses regarding Webber and focus on building the team around Peja and the existing supporting cast. I feel that would be best for the team. Only an idiot wouldn't see or admit what a tremendous disruption and liability Webber is, last season he proved it in spades. He's soft, he's disruptive, he's injury-prone (or maybe more like just a little crybaby sissy), and he is NOT a leader, he chased the leader out of Sacramento, nor is he a good fit in the Kings offense. The problem is the huge amounts of coin the Maloofs have tied up in his sorry behind.

If none of that works out, what I wouldn't give to see him in Purple and Gold. not everyone agree's with this, but the cat is a legit superstar, he's just not the flashy bling-bling type that this country produces, he could easily be the centerpiece of a title contender, given the right mix of support, and Adelman installing some semblance of defense.
Dan