Author Topic: 2004 Predictions  (Read 2123 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
2004 Predictions
« on: September 24, 2004, 12:28:02 AM »
Patrick J. Austin
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Sep 21, 2004, 18:43

The summer of 2004 has blown by and the regular season is almost here. I will now look into my crystal ball and predict the awards for the 2004/2005 season:

M.V.P.-Shaquille O'Neal
why?
He is now in shape and eager to make Laker management look like fools for trading him.

Coach of the Year-Jeff Van Gundy
why?
With T-Mac and Yao, the Rockets have a chance to compete for the Western crown. If JVD can get them into contention, he should win this award.

Rookie of the Year-Emeka Okafur
why?
He is their foundation and will get plenty of playing time to show off his array of skills.

Most Improved Player-Al Harrington
why?
He is going from sixth man in Indiana, to No.1 option in Atlanta. I wouldn't be surprised if he averages 20ppg&10rpg.

Atlantic Division Winner-NY Knicks
why?
They are very talented on the perimeter(Marbs, H20, JC, TT, etc.), which will help them outscore teams during the regular season. But I don't see them doing much in the postseason.

Central Division Winner-Detroit Pistons
why?
Rasheed will now be fully ingratiated in the system and a healthy McDyess off the bench gives them a real edge.

Southeast Division Winner-Miami Heat
why?
This is the worst division in the NBA, and possibly in all of sports. If the Heat don't win it, then they have major problems.

Southwest Division Winner-San Antonio Spurs
why?
Duncan, Duncan, and Duncan.

Northwest Division Winner-Denver Nuggets
why?
Martin is going to flourish in Denver, and their uptempo style gives them a major advantage at home(due to the high altitude).

Pacific Division Winner-Sacramento Kings
why?
Webber is now healthy.

Biggest Surprise-Utah Jazz
why?
Jerry Sloan always has a competitive team. On top of that, they now have a talented roster. I think they could challenge for their division.

Biggest Flop-Dallas Mavericks
why?
Losing Nash and replacing him with Jason Terry is going to hurt this team in a big way.

Players Traded by Midseason-Vince Carter, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Jason Kidd, Wally Sczherbiak, Ray Allen, Joe Johnson, Nickoloz Tskitishvilli, Nick Van Exel and Antoine Walker

A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
2004 Predictions
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 09:24:39 AM »
All on point until I seen the Knicks winning their division.....uhhh nope!

Shaq has a good shot at being MVP but is his body still able to withstand the abuse plus the strain it got from him finally deciding to work out in the off-season after taking a 4 year break?  I do believe he has a good shot, especially with the division they are in.  The could run away so far ahead of everyone in that division that it will only boost Shaq's chances.

Van Gundy could win coach of the year very easily.....but I think it will come from a suprise team, much like Hubie and the gang last year, then it will be from a team with players like T-mac and Yao.

If Peja stays the Kings win the pacific....if he doesn't then another team ends up taking that spot towards the end of the season.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 09:26:42 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
2004 Predictions
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 11:04:52 AM »
Counting on a lot of "What If's" for some of those predictions.

M.V.P.-Shaquille O'Neal. Maybe. But Shaq doesn't strike me as the type to starting working out harder just to show up anybody, including the Laker management. And how can he make the Lakers look like fools for trading him when GM O'Neal orchestrated the trade?

Coach of the Year-Jeff Van Gundy. Van Gundy had the chance with Yao and Francis and he sort of ignored Ming in the offense. With T-Mac hogging the ball, expectations are very high in Houston in his pairing with Yao. No pressure, but if he doesn't produce now with this lineup, I would say Van Gundy is history, let alone NOT COTY

Rookie of the Year-Emeka Okafur . Possibly, and highly dependent on his health. Doesn't Okafur have a bad back? NOT what you want with your foundation player.

Most Improved Player-Al Harrington. I always thought this award goes to someone who makes a huge improvement in their game from one year to the next. Harrington is already pretty solid, so the jump to regular just doesn't strike me as likely to be that noticable.

Atlantic Division Winner-NY Knicks. PUL-EEZE!! If the ball boy in New York signs a new sneaker deal, they start screaming that this is just what the Knicks needed to put them into the championship. What they should be worried about is how these players are going to handle the NY scrutiny and start laying bets on which one they can make cry first.

Central Division Winner-Detroit Pistons. Well, it certainly is a safe bet, isn't it?

Southeast Division Winner-Miami Heat. See above. But if they don't - YIKES!!

Southwest Division Winner-San Antonio Spurs. See above. Plus, the addition of Brent Barry is going to be huge on this team. He is a perfect fit, IMHO.

Northwest Division Winner-Denver Nuggets. I don't know if Martin is going to be enough, but the watered-down NBA is in such flux that the Nuggets are as likely as anyone else, so I have no problem picking them. Elsewhere on this team, they are young, however, and sometimes that plays into those late season playoff pushes.

Pacific Division Winner-Sacramento Kings. More by default, I would say. The Kings still have a dangerous core group of players, but now that a Webber/Peja feud is brewing, it might affect the play of both of them. Everyone says "So what, Kobe and Shaq feuded for years and they got the Lakers three championships." I say, Peja and Webber are NOT Kobe and Shaq, they DON'T have Phil Jackson to mitigate their differences. and who knows if their animosity towards each other doesn't affect both their games.

Biggest Surprise-Utah Jazz. As Bum Phillips once said about Don Shula, "He can take his'n and beat yourn, and he can take yourn, and beat his'n" That is Sloan.

Biggest Flop-Dallas Mavericks. Terry is not that big of a stiff. He actually is not a bad point guard at all, and most importantly, he is still getting better. I thought Nash fell off last year.

Players Traded by Midseason-Vince Carter, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Jason Kidd, Wally Sczherbiak, Ray Allen, Joe Johnson, Nickoloz Tskitishvilli, Nick Van Exel and Antoine Walker. Plus a dozen more.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 12:17:33 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
2004 Predictions
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 12:03:18 PM »
This guy writes for a living?

He is now in shape and eager to make Laker management look like fools for trading him.

I thought Shaq forced the trade?

Rasheed will now be fully ingratiated in the system and a healthy McDyess off the bench gives them a real edge.

Can you "ingratiate" someone into something? Is that physically possible? McDyess gives a team an edge? The opposing team?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 12:18:47 PM by Ted »
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
2004 Predictions
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 12:05:54 PM »
My 2 cents:

Knicks have as good a chance as any in their division....but wouldn't be my first choice.

Detroit over Indiana for the division title isn't as clear cut as many would like to believe.

Denver over Minnesota in the Northwest....I would pick the team that is returning their starters (including MVP) over a young team with changes & question marks.  Also don't overlook his "surprise" team in this division.

Utah was a surprise last year...then they added more players.  Who are they going to surprise?

Dallas as the biggest flop....possible but I would pick Dampier as the reason not Terry.  However, their most important signing was Avery Johnson.  When he was there 2 years ago as a de facto player/coach the Mavs played their best defense in years (AJ actually learned something from Pop).  Watch out for a team more focused on defense to challenge for the SW division.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 12:07:37 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
2004 Predictions
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 12:25:55 PM »
Can you "ingratiate" someone into something? Is that physically possible? McDyess gives a team an edge? The opposing team?
Ingratiate - to curry favor, suck up to, toady, crawl to, get in with, grovel to.

Did this guy really want to imply that Rasheed has now sufficiently sucked up to the Piston's system and that with McDyess, who I am surprised is even still playing, that the Pistons will now have an "edge"?

Golly.    
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
2004 Predictions
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 02:33:06 PM »
I think the moron meant "integrated"

And say what you will about Shaq, he is not in that great a shape and he never seems interested in proving anybody wrong, if he did, LA would have had 5 in a row. He is lazy, self-centered, and completely spoiled, wait, I just described 3\4 of the NBA!
Dan

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
2004 Predictions
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 02:45:58 PM »
lol.

hoopsworld is a fan site.  he doesn't write for a living.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
2004 Predictions
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2004, 03:25:56 PM »
I think the moron meant "integrated"

And say what you will about Shaq, he is not in that great a shape and he never seems interested in proving anybody wrong, if he did, LA would have had 5 in a row. He is lazy, self-centered, and completely spoiled, wait, I just described 3\4 of the NBA!
Agreed Dan. We might see a flurry of dominance in the beginning, but then his foot will start to hurt after games, he'll sit out ten to fifteen games and will gain 20 pounds, and then he'll stop rotating on defense, and it will be all over.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
2004 Predictions
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2004, 03:28:09 PM »
lol.

hoopsworld is a fan site.  he doesn't write for a living.
Actually there are many of the main article writers that do write for a living....or are trying to get their first big break.  They also tend to be some of the more knowledgable posters on that site.  But I don't know about the guy who wrote this article.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

2004 Predictions
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2004, 09:53:40 AM »
I think you guys are underrating Shaq's primary motivation -- his PRIDE (which is huge).  It's the reason that he can't come out and recognize as well as respect his competitors (at least to the press), it's the reason he makes all the stupid comments, etc.  Shaq now HAS to prove that he can win without Kobe and he wants to make sure the world see that the titles in LA belong to Shaq -- as he was Batman and Kobe was simply Robin (an afterthought).  Don't forget that it was PJ who used Shaq's pride to goad him into getting into shape and playing possessed ball -- at least for a year or two.  Now, he wants to show the world that those titles belong to him -- not Kobe.  I think Shaq is motivated to play -- something he hasn't been in some time.  The only problem is that he doesn't have the supporting cast to get it all done.  Ben Wallace made Shaq look slow and less than dominant -- Shaq still got a ton of points and rebounds but Wallace stole the ball from him, beat him to the ball, etc. simply too many times.

Shaq is already in better shape than he has been in the last two years.  However, he still had a better supporting cast in LA -- and BOTH Shaq and Kobe fail to understand the importance of the other in their title runs.

Guest_Randy

2004 Predictions
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2004, 10:07:56 AM »
McDyess?  Putting a team over the edge?  Okay, how many guys have stayed longer on rosters with injuries -- is this the THIRD team that has counted on McDyess to play for them?  McDyess is finished -- he keeps bilking teams out of money with the promise of playing games but he's knees can't handle it.  

I think the Pistons are a great TEAM but if Indy could someone manage to trade Artest for Peja -- watch out for Indy.  Indy would be an amazing team with Peja at the wing.  Peja has an opt in 2 years and they are going to have to choose between superstars -- they simply haven't proven that they can play together.  CWebb forgets about Peja when he walks out onto the floor and that doesn't bode well for SacTown.  With Artest, they have two of the best defenders in the league in the backcourt and Artest isn't a bad shooter (although certainly not in the same league as Peja) -- I don't know why the Kings would want another headache but they are going to have to trade Peja for someone (unless they want him to leave for nothing in a couple of years).