Author Topic: Breaking Vlade news....  (Read 1865 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Breaking Vlade news....
« on: September 24, 2004, 11:21:55 AM »
I heard on the local morning sports radio program that Divac herniated a disc in his neck during a warmup game yesterday. He might be out all of training camp and his absence could extend into the first month of the season, causing a bit of a concern as to whom the Lakers will start at center in the interim. The choices are an undersized Brian Grant, who had to pull similar duty in Miami because of Mourning's illness, and Chris Mihm ('nough said).

But of considerably more concern is Divac's conditioning once he does return. As we well know here in Sacramento, Vlade always got "in shape" during training camp, and stayed "in shape" during the season by playing thirty or more minutes in the games themselves. His play late last season noticably fell off once Webber returned because he was not getting enough minutes to stay sharp. But to his credit, this is the first time I have heard him missing an extended number of games due to injury. He was relatively healthy while with the Kings.

The injury is mentioned in this article that talks about Rick Fox possibly retiring.

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,20...2422775,00.html
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 11:29:45 AM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Breaking Vlade news....
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 11:48:42 AM »
Kupchek is such a genius.  I don't know why I ever wanted Jerry West to come back.  When you make trades for old, out-of-shape, 2 pack a day cigarette smoking centers how can you not be considered one of the best to ever do it?

I don't want to see Vlade suit up personally but I understand what he can do for this team.  I also understand that Mihm and Grant couldn't do half a good a job as Floppy.  So I guess im torn between wanting a half way decent center and not ever having to see Vlade in purple and gold unless I break out old tapes or Upper Deck trading cards.

Thanks for the news JoMaL, havent heard anything about it here in Laker land.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 11:50:07 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Breaking Vlade news....
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 12:15:58 PM »
Well, the local sports "humor" guys could not wait to gleefully tell us this morning about it, speculating on Vlade missing at least a month of the season. ]

Personally, with all the off-season nonsense going on with both the Lakers and Kings, with all the changes occurring, especially with Los Angeles, my animosity towards them sort of disappeared. Vlade should have a year or two of at least a minimum of ability left to offer, but this set-back may shorten his career further, at his age.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Breaking Vlade news....
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 12:20:00 PM »
Well, the local sports "humor" guys could not wait to gleefully tell us this morning about it, speculating on Vlade missing at least a month of the season. ]

Personally, with all the off-season nonsense going on with both the Lakers and Kings, with all the changes occurring, especially with Los Angeles, my animosity towards them sort of disappeared. Vlade should have a year or two of at least a minimum of ability left to offer, but this set-back may shorten his career further, at his age.
My beef with him isnt because he was a King...you know im the lone Laker fan who supports the Kings (except when we play).  My beef is his crying and flopping.  Something he did here in LA, something he did up there, and something he will continue to do.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Breaking Vlade news....
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 12:27:39 PM »
My beef with him isnt because he was a King...you know im the lone Laker fan who supports the Kings (except when we play).  My beef is his crying and flopping.  Something he did here in LA, something he did up there, and something he will continue to do.
I don't know, westkoast. Flopping with a herniated disc in your neck could be pretty hard on the old guy.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 12:28:20 PM by JoMal »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Breaking Vlade news....
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 12:58:55 PM »
My beef with him isnt because he was a King...you know im the lone Laker fan who supports the Kings (except when we play).  My beef is his crying and flopping.  Something he did here in LA, something he did up there, and something he will continue to do.
I don't know, westkoast. Flopping with a herniated disc in your neck could be pretty hard on the old guy.
True...but not even sharpnel kept Kerry from flopping so I dont know  :D  

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Breaking Vlade news....
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 01:27:57 PM »
True...but not even sharpnel kept Kerry from flopping so I dont know  :D
No that wasn't flopping...that was flipping.   :cheers:  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues