Author Topic: First weeks Survivor Football Picks  (Read 2002 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
First weeks Survivor Football Picks
« on: September 09, 2004, 07:40:34 PM »
Team Pick Opponent  
  Ted                    HOU over SDG  
  westkoast           MIN over DAL  
  Bods Ballers        MIN over DAL  
  Lurker                 NYJ over CIN  
  RealityKCChiefs   BAL over CLE  
  Ziggy                  STL over ARI  
  Wolverine            STL over ARI  
  WOW                  CHI over DET  
  spursfan101         DAL over MIN  
  ziggys son           PHI over NYG  
  jn                       MIN over DAL  

Well we will have at least 1 maybe 3 who are out in week #1, as 3 picked the Vikes over Dallas, and 1 picked Dallas over the Vikes.  Looks like JN and SF101 made homer picks.  I was going with Baltimore over Cleveland until the last minute I decided to go with St Louis.  St. Louis has burned in Football pickem over the years, but the fool I am I have to grab the hot poker just to check if it is hot, so I am sure I will get burned.

Anyone want to justify their picks?
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 07:57:36 PM »

Vinny Testaverde

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 07:58:02 PM »
Justifications:
Drew Brees
Marty Schottenheimer
The San Diego Chargers
The advantage of not picking a really good team early.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 09:58:19 PM »
Every good football player wearing cowboy blue does blow.  Oh ya and that one guy, that one, who runs fast, and catches the ball for Minn.   B)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 10:00:21 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 08:46:16 AM »
Home team
Playing a bad road team
Saving powerhouses for later rounds

I almost picked the same game as WOW....Chicago at home vs Detroit for the same reasons as above.  However the Bears have new coaching and too many new offensive sets...they may actually lose their home opener to one of the historically (at least recently)  crappy road teams in the NFL.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

jn

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 08:47:06 AM »
That fast guy that westkoast mentioned?  His best games come against the Cowboys.  :hotbounce:

And yeah, just a touch of homer picking.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 09:03:39 AM »
Cowboys. Finally have an experienced QB again.  Have Keshawn and other fast receivers. Rookie J. Jones and Eddie George. Cowboys over Vikes.

Say bye to two people off of this list.
Paul

jn

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 09:14:33 AM »
Ho Ho!! 101 comes to bring Homerism to new heights.   "Keyshawn and other fast receivers."  That implies that Keyshawn is fast.  He isn't and neither is Terry Glenn.  Key is a fast talker as  he seems to have convinced a lot of people that he is a superstar when in fact he is merely a good but not great posession receiver.  I could probably think of 30 receivers I would take over Keyshawn.  He was drafted in the 12 round of my fantasy league, and rightly so.

I really like Vinny and Eddie but come on...They are so far past their prime they are stinking up the fridge.  And Julius Jones? Who's to say he won't start out just like his big brother Thomas.  In other words, a total bust.  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004, 09:16:59 AM »
truth be told, I'm not REALLY a Cowboys fan. I was an Oilers fan (one of five in the whole state I think).
Paul

jn

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004, 09:31:04 AM »
Aaah okay.  You'll appreciate this story then.  My sister-in-law went to Texas when Earl Campbell was there.  One night she was studying in the same dorm lounge as Campbell.  She got up and left for a couple minutes and when she came back Earl was gone.  However he had left her something. Scrawled on her notebook was bunch of Muhammed Ali style rantings. "I am Earl Campbell!  I am unstoppable!! I am Earl Campbell the greatest!!"  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2004, 09:46:18 AM »
Home team
Playing a bad road team
Saving powerhouses for later rounds

I almost picked the same game as WOW....Chicago at home vs Detroit for the same reasons as above.  However the Bears have new coaching and too many new offensive sets...they may actually lose their home opener to one of the historically (at least recently)  crappy road teams in the NFL.
Agree 100%, you pretty much described my line on thinking.  There is a risk going with the Bears on opening day but I think this may be my only shot at picking them for a win.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2004, 07:00:57 PM »
ppppssssssshhhhh.

well that was fast.
My reasoning was that Baltimores D would still be tough. It was, Clevs last 10 points were off late Baltimore O turnovers.

I did not anticipate Balts O being so lame.  Knew Cleveland would key on Jamall Lewis after his combined 500 yard performance last year.  So duh, recievers catch a pass.

Congrats to the advancers.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2004, 07:05:36 PM »
ppppssssssshhhhh.

well that was fast.
My reasoning was that Baltimores D would still be tough. It was, Clevs last 10 points were off late Baltimore O turnovers.

I did not anticipate Balts O being so lame.  Knew Cleveland would key on Jamall Lewis after his combined 500 yard performance last year.  So duh, recievers catch a pass.

Congrats to the advancers.
I made it 2 weeks last year.  It is not as easy as you think.  Of course with 17 weeks we can always set up another league, I doubt very seriously if any body last more than 6 weeks.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2004, 09:43:45 PM »
Cowboys. Finally have an experienced QB again.  Have Keshawn and other fast receivers. Rookie J. Jones and Eddie George. Cowboys over Vikes.

Say bye to two people off of this list.
How's the Texas BBQ crow?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com