Author Topic: Vince ain't so invincible  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Vince ain't so invincible
« on: February 19, 2004, 03:01:22 PM »
Associated Press
TORONTO -- All-Star guard Vince Carter is expected to be sidelined two to four weeks with a sprained left ankle, Raptors coach Kevin O'Neill said Thursday.

Carter was hurt in the fourth quarter of Toronto's 86-82 loss to San Antonio on Wednesday night. He was using crutches after the game.

The team was still awaiting the results of an MRI exam on Carter early Thursday afternoon, said Raptors spokesman Jim LaBumbard.

"It will be a while," O'Neill said, referring to how long Carter is expected to sit out.

The Raptors are already missing Jalen Rose, who has four broken bones in his left hand, and rookie center Chris Bosh, who re-sprained his left ankle Wednesday.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 03:07:56 PM »
Carter wondered if San Antonio's Bruce Bowen purposely tripped him up.

"I question whether it was an accident or whether it was on purpose, because it's not very often where you see somebody put their foot right under you like that," Carter said.

Obviously, due to their misfortune we got a big break at the end of the game," San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said. "I sure hope Vince is OK. You never like to see a player get carried off. That was probably the difference in the game; we didn't have anybody to guard him."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=240218028

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 03:10:40 PM »
Did he do it on purpose?  You be the judge...

http://www.khiznews.com/BowenCarter.mpg
Paul

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 03:29:29 PM »
yes

Whether on purpose or not only Bowen knows for sure but he definitely took Carters landing spot away from him.  Went out of his way to do it.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 03:36:06 PM »
Looks that way, but the game is played so damn fast, I don't know if Bowen could have premediated it. It looks to me like he planted his foot to head back to the rim. He wasn't even looking.
Paul

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 03:47:21 PM »
Definately on purpose but I don't think he meant to injury him, just bother him on the shot.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 04:18:27 PM »
That foot was definately on purpose -- and somebody help me understand how it would bother his shot AFTER it was already completed?  This looks diliberate -- esp. because he seems to stick it out even FURTHER after he had NO shot at stopping or altering the shot.  The NBA needs to review this one because Bowen needs to be suspended for this one -- it's so obvious that Bowen must be snickering -- so much for the clean play of the Spurs!  I'm going to send an e-mail to Stern personally (and Cuban) to get this matter looked into -- I already knew that this year was over in my FNBA season but VC at least keeps me from getting slapped down.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 04:32:54 PM »
It looks to me like Bowen is using a simple box-out technique there. He sticks his leg/hip into VC's area to make contact and turns to look for a rebound. I doubt he did it to injure. Trust me. I have tried to injure guys before, and it's not as easy as you think. Basketball is a fast game and thinks like sprained ankles are hard to do without looking too blatant. This doesn't look that blatant to me.

Yes Randy it sucks. VC is on my other fantasy team; the one that doesn't suck. This will hurt me too.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2004, 04:36:38 PM »
It looks to me like Bowen is using a simple box-out technique there. He sticks his leg/hip into VC's area to make contact and turns to look for a rebound. I doubt he did it to injure. Trust me. I have tried to injure guys before, and it's not as easy as you think. Basketball is a fast game and thinks like sprained ankles are hard to do without looking too blatant. This doesn't look that blatant to me.

Yes Randy it sucks. VC is on my other fantasy team; the one that doesn't suck. This will hurt me too.
I wouldn't disagree with you Ted except when you watch the replay Bowen goes through a two step process -- the first is the step you mentioned -- the second goes further and leaves VC no room to come down at all.  Bowen is a smart bball player and he knew where VC's feet where going to land.  

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2004, 05:02:32 PM »
As a homer I disagree.

Bowen was closing out on the perimeter jumpshooter.  Carter is jumping towards the basket and Bowen is closing out.  He plants his final foot and turns to look for the rebound.  Carter lands on the side of Bowen's foot.

BTW the web cast is not a good picture...FoxSports SW showed the replay from different angles last night and it is very clear that there was no intent on Bowen's part to impede Carter's landing.

At least not as intentional as Payton tackling the other team's hottest player in an effort to win.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2004, 05:09:53 PM »
As a homer I disagree.

Bowen was closing out on the perimeter jumpshooter.  Carter is jumping towards the basket and Bowen is closing out.  He plants his final foot and turns to look for the rebound.  Carter lands on the side of Bowen's foot.

BTW the web cast is not a good picture...FoxSports SW showed the replay from different angles last night and it is very clear that there was no intent on Bowen's part to impede Carter's landing.

At least not as intentional as Payton tackling the other team's hottest player in an effort to win.
LOL!  At least he was a man about it, an elbow and attempted bite to the face is alot more man-ly than a foot under the shooter.   :rolleyes:  
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2004, 05:30:58 PM »
What bowen did reminds me of that old adage about throwing rocks at birds, you don't really expect to hit one but the intent is there.

adage (sic?)

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"