Author Topic: Talk: Dampier to the Mavs.  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Talk: Dampier to the Mavs.
« on: August 18, 2004, 01:16:51 PM »
You're telling me the best offer Golden State could get for Dampier is Chrissy Laetner and Eduardo Najera?  Now i know GS will also recieve two future 1st round draft picks.  They could end up being huge so maybe that evens it out or even favors GState sometime down the road.

But for here and now that is the best offer they got for a rebounding center in a centerless league?  I don't buy it.  This on the heels of signing Swisher to a long term bucks deal.      

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 01:34:16 PM »
They just got a good role player and 2 first round picks for a guy who would have never suited up for them.  That's a TREMENDOUS deal.

Dallas will end up regretting this down the line.  Dampier, a player who had never played like he gave a damn, at the age of 30, just had a career year in a contract year.  Gee, shocker.  Now he's locked into a long term, large contract, AND you just traded away all the draft picks you had available to trade.

Antonio Davis part deux.  Except they gave away picks as well.  And Davis didn't have a bad attitude to boot.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 01:43:03 PM »
They just got a good role player and 2 first round picks for a guy who would have never suited up for them.  That's a TREMENDOUS deal.

Dallas will end up regretting this down the line.  Dampier, a player who had never played like he gave a damn, at the age of 30, just had a career year in a contract year.  Gee, shocker.  Now he's locked into a long term, large contract, AND you just traded away all the draft picks you had available to trade.

Antonio Davis part deux.  Except they gave away picks as well.  And Davis didn't have a bad attitude to boot.
I am with Dabods on this one.  Dampier is not much better than a stiff IMO.  I mean this is the guy that platooned with Adonal Foyle, because he couldn't beat him out, so that shows that he is a marginal talent.
Golden State sucks, and have for a very long time, but at least they are trying to build.  Getting rid of Gary St. Jean, who was perhaps the worst GM in all of sports, was a great first step.  Getting 2 #1's for Dampier was great.  Dallas has become afflicted with a horrible case of Whitsitt's disease.  Big contract after big contract, and a complete inability to build a team and keep it together.

Get Cuban itch cream, because as soon as he gets an itch, he just has to scratch it.  When he does he scratches until he bleeds.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 01:51:56 PM »
I really like this deal....as a Spurs fan.

The Mavs are looking like a middle of the road team instead of a legit contender.  Basically they have replaced their starting point guard, starting pf/c (Walker) and the 6th man of the league for a overrated center, a backup sg who is often injured and a point guard that couldn't lead Atlanta.  They also gave up their top hustle player in Najera.

Terry in place of Nash
Dampier in place of Walker
Stackhouse in place of Jamison

Just exactly how is this better?

If I was Dirk I would pull a Peja right about now.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 01:53:59 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 02:12:03 PM »
Golden State good in getting the #1 picks to build on but why the confusing Swisher acquisition?  Build on Swisher with Speedy already there?

But i can see where GS scored.  Dampier was bolting anyways.  Wonder what if anything Indy offered.

Dallas indeed has blown it.  What they had to trade a month ago compared with what they have now.  :crazy:  

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 02:37:45 PM »
Honestly, Nash is a bit overrated.  An offensive wizard, but he was the root of their defensive problems.  If they truely wanted to improve their team defense, replacing him was as much of a need as finding a true defensive post presence.  Not to mention he was drastically overpaid for his age and shortcomings.

Replacing him with Daniels will help with their defensive problems.  Combine that with adding Dampier and they've potentially solved a lot of their defensive problems.  They might even be a *gasp* good defensive team.

Adding Harris in the draft and Terry through a trade doesn't make sense in that regard, however (although I approved of both trades, based on what they've given up).  Neither of those players play much defense (although Harris has the tools to be effective), and neither have a whole lot of experience being a true pg.

From a team makeup perspective, I actually like Dallas a little better this year.  They actually have a center, have capable defensive guards, still have a load of offense, no longer have 8 pf's, of which they'll try to play at both C and SF, and added some youth.   Now they're really just lacking a true point guard, of which they hope Harris can develop into.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 03:13:12 PM »
Golden State good in getting the #1 picks to build on but why the confusing Swisher acquisition?  Build on Swisher with Speedy already there?

But i can see where GS scored.  Dampier was bolting anyways.  Wonder what if anything Indy offered.

Dallas indeed has blown it.  What they had to trade a month ago compared with what they have now.  :crazy:
I wonder if they will make a Space Jam 2 except this time the aliens come and steal the brains of the GMs around the league.  I really dont see how the Mavs GM, the GS GM, The Lakers GM, and the Nets GM made any these decisions if they did have half a brain in their skull.

I really dont think GS scored.  If they wanted to make moves to rebuild in the future, why did they send away Van Excel, Jaimson, and then go on to sign Fish to long term deal?  Then again D could have bolted to some team (Like the Lakers lol) and signed a silly deal that hes not worth.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 03:14:17 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 06:27:24 PM »
of the two 1st Rd picks that GState recieves, apparantly one is from Atlanta for next year.  You would think that would about guarantee a lotto pick.

If that is the case then indeed GState could score big.  Just makes it all the more confounding why they signed Swisher.  If they truly want to gut n build then why not do so.  Was the price difference on Swisher and Jamison that much?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 09:15:50 PM »
of the two 1st Rd picks that GState recieves, apparantly one is from Atlanta for next year.  You would think that would about guarantee a lotto pick.

If that is the case then indeed GState could score big.  Just makes it all the more confounding why they signed Swisher.  If they truly want to gut n build then why not do so.  Was the price difference on Swisher and Jamison that much?
Id say for that playoff expierence.......but they are not going to make the playoffs with this squad.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 06:50:55 AM »
that pick atlanta sent them is actually the pick we (sixers) sent to atlanta)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 09:41:50 AM »
that pick atlanta sent them is actually the pick we (sixers) sent to atlanta)
Would that indeed be determined by where Philly ends up this season?

What about the other 1st rd pick?  Why does espn etc report and leave out such vital details as this?  RealGM.com is toast.  Where is up to date trade goodies?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 10:15:03 AM »
Yeah, that's based on where we end up.

I dunno where you'd get the best information.  I remember our pick going from atlanta to Dallas as part of the Jason Terry trade.  Then I heard Dallas fans say that it was our pick they sent to Golden State.  Not sure where they heard it, though.

As for the other pick, I'm not sure who's it is.  It might be Dallas' own pick.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 11:15:47 AM »
The draft picks can make or break this trade. Otherwise, the Mavs giving GS Najera is the most intriquing aspect. Dampier is a "stat stuffer", as Jerry Reynolds of the Kings surmised after hearing of this trade. He gets double-doubles, but somehow never seems to really affect the outcome of games. Well put.

Golden State got something in return for essentially air. Dampier was not going to be a Warrior next year regardless.    
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2004, 11:22:12 AM »
Whenever anyone finds out what the other #1 pick entails, please holla.