Author Topic: OT - Good way to screw up a good nights sleep  (Read 1445 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
OT - Good way to screw up a good nights sleep
« on: June 24, 2004, 12:53:42 AM »
As I am getting ready for bed, the cat is still out.  Go out the back door and start calling.  As I am walking around the side of the house I hear a sound kind of like the sprinklers going, but not quite.  Continue walking, calling for the cat, and the sound is now a little louder, and clearly not a sprinker.  I look down and there is a fricking rattlesnake about 6 feet away.  Talk about scaring the s--- of me.  The stupid cat still hasn't shown up, and I ain't going lookin' for it.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 12:56:51 AM »
good one.

Im actually glad you didnt end up saying the sprinklers were skunks and that you got hit.  That would also put a damper on a night.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 08:23:03 AM »
ziggy, very scary. Where do you live? Did you try and kill the snake?  You have lil kids? :huh:  
Paul

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 01:00:03 PM »
ziggy, very scary. Where do you live? Did you try and kill the snake?  You have lil kids? :huh:
I live on 60 acres about 15 to 20 minutes from the nearest town.  I have a 12 year old, a 3 year old, and a 4 month old.  This is the second one we have had.  The first one was the day before we moved in, and one of my builders killed it with a shovel.
I have a pool and I think it was trying to get into the pool.  I have a pool brush on a long pole so I used that to chase it off.  I was home alone, so I was not getting anywhere near it.  Steve Irwin I ain't.  Told my wife this morning and she was rather upset that I didn't kill it.  Looks like I need to invest in some snake killing gear.  I was in New Zealand about 3 weeks ago, and the wife was looking out on the back yard, and she is convinced she saw a cougar.  I know we have one roaming the area, the fish and wildlife guy told us that there was upwards of 12 to 15 in and around the area.  I don't own a gun, but it looks like I need to invest in one.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 01:10:34 PM »
The tv weatherman on News 10 Lauren Nancarro (sp) doubles as a naturalist.

He says he has a concotion he uses for camping that can also be used for property.
Says critters will not cross it.  Not telling you not to get a gun, just letting you know.  Ill see if i can rustle up his potion.  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 01:18:51 PM »
As I am getting ready for bed, the cat is still out.  Go out the back door and start calling.  As I am walking around the side of the house I hear a sound kind of like the sprinklers going, but not quite.  Continue walking, calling for the cat, and the sound is now a little louder, and clearly not a sprinker.  I look down and there is a fricking rattlesnake about 6 feet away.  Talk about scaring the s--- of me.  The stupid cat still hasn't shown up, and I ain't going lookin' for it.
Actually, 6 feet isn't too bad -- most rattlesnakes really don't want to attack you -- they just want to scare you away (judging by your post, I would say that his ploy worked quite effectively  B) .  It is a bit scary to think about them around with kids (or with cats).  It is worth knowing their habits during the heat and helping your kids be aware of these things esp. during the heat of day.  Rattlesnakes look for damp, cool places to rest during the summer -- unfortunately, we humans like those same places.  Just be careful of any woodpiles, etc. -- places they can crawl up under -- esp. because they might nest and then you have a whole family.  Happened to our family when we lived in Southern California -- and that was a nest of Western Diamondbacks (they get HUGE).