Author Topic: "Hopefully Back in San Antonio"  (Read 2787 times)

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
"Hopefully Back in San Antonio"
« on: June 15, 2004, 11:00:27 AM »
spursreport.com

When asked where he wants to play next season, Stephen Jackson doesn't hold back. "Hopefully back in San Antonio," Jackson says.

Jackson said those words yesterday when he was back in his hometown of Port-Arthur, Texas headlining a basketball camp at the Carl A. Parker Multipurpose Center for Discovery 2004- the annual summer program- offered by Lamar State College at Port Arthur, for area elementary school students.

Jackson was the starting guard for the 2003 World Champion Spurs before leaving to play for the Atlanta Hawks this past season.

Jackson will have an opportunity to speak to any team who wishes to bid for his services starting July 1st.

After averaging a career-high 18.1 points per game last season in Atlanta, Jackson decided to opt out of his deal and should make a splash in free agency. The Hawks, Chicago Bulls and Portland Trail Blazers are among several teams expected to bid for Jackson's services this summer, but Jackson would love to return to San Antonio if he has the opportunity.

"Stephen was an important part of the team (the Spurs)," Jackson's agent Dan Fegan said nearly three weeks ago. "He likes it there."

The Spurs reportedly made Jackson a three-year offer at about 10 million U.S. dollars last summer, and he rejected it.

He wound up with a two-year, 2.1 million U.S. dollars deal from the Atlanta Hawks.

Paul

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 11:22:43 AM »
spursreport.com

When asked where he wants to play next season, Stephen Jackson doesn't hold back. "Hopefully back in San Antonio," Jackson says.

Jackson said those words yesterday when he was back in his hometown of Port-Arthur, Texas headlining a basketball camp at the Carl A. Parker Multipurpose Center for Discovery 2004- the annual summer program- offered by Lamar State College at Port Arthur, for area elementary school students.

Jackson was the starting guard for the 2003 World Champion Spurs before leaving to play for the Atlanta Hawks this past season.

Jackson will have an opportunity to speak to any team who wishes to bid for his services starting July 1st.

After averaging a career-high 18.1 points per game last season in Atlanta, Jackson decided to opt out of his deal and should make a splash in free agency. The Hawks, Chicago Bulls and Portland Trail Blazers are among several teams expected to bid for Jackson's services this summer, but Jackson would love to return to San Antonio if he has the opportunity.

"Stephen was an important part of the team (the Spurs)," Jackson's agent Dan Fegan said nearly three weeks ago. "He likes it there."

The Spurs reportedly made Jackson a three-year offer at about 10 million U.S. dollars last summer, and he rejected it.

He wound up with a two-year, 2.1 million U.S. dollars deal from the Atlanta Hawks.
I am telling you, Pop and RC Buford should know that we DONT NEED a big time player on our team, just someone who can get it done.  Stephen, i belive, has grown up - somewhat - in his time in atlanta.  I know that he was relaly the only real scoring option for them after rahim got traded - but you can either shoot or you cant in the nba, jackson starting getting 30+ point games on a regular basis when it became his show.  I got faith he can give us what we need as far as being an outside threat for us.  we will still need more help shooting, dont get me wrong, but we could save a ton on saving jackson as opposed to signing a kobe - although having kobe would still be nice.  i see jackson as a real answer for us, having him along with Luis scola helping tim on the low post should help our offense greatly i think.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 11:46:33 AM »
Your absolutely right.  With the demise (erg breakup) of LA this summer, SA will be a strong contender coming out of the West.  
Paul

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 11:56:04 AM »
Jackson would be fine.  Obviously he has learned (hope) his lesson about seeking mega bucks vs Legit Repeat chances.  Kobadiah Springfield would be fine.

Just get at least one of them.

TMac was making noise about Houston (says article posted by NYCDog).
That could thrust them into frontrunner if not for Van Repressive.
However I dont think even Van Grunty could hold down Houstons offense with TMac added.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 12:06:42 PM »
spursreport.com

I am telling you, Pop and RC Buford should know that we DONT NEED a big time player on our team, just someone who can get it done.  Stephen, i belive, has grown up - somewhat - in his time in atlanta.  I know that he was relaly the only real scoring option for them after rahim got traded - but you can either shoot or you cant in the nba, jackson starting getting 30+ point games on a regular basis when it became his show.  I got faith he can give us what we need as far as being an outside threat for us.  we will still need more help shooting, dont get me wrong, but we could save a ton on saving jackson as opposed to signing a kobe - although having kobe would still be nice.  i see jackson as a real answer for us, having him along with Luis scola helping tim on the low post should help our offense greatly i think.
I agree.  As much as Kobe would be a great addition he may not be a great fit.  Jackson, even tho he was the man in ATL, still has a role player mentality.  Kobe on the other hand is a super star and while its possible for him to take a back seat it would almost be a waste not only money wise but talent wise for him to play that position so early in his career.  The Spurs team is not broke so why try to fix it by adding Kobe?  Although the thought of the Kobe/Duncan tandum would be scary.  Duncan's lack of a massive ego would keep the blood between them good.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 02:19:51 PM »
agree. As much as Kobe would be a great addition he may not be a great fit. Jackson, even tho he was the man in ATL, still has a role player mentality. Kobe on the other hand is a super star and while its possible for him to take a back seat it would almost be a waste not only money wise but talent wise for him to play that position so early in his career.

KOB-ME wouldn't take a back seat to SHAQ, he certainly wouldn't take a back seat to Duncan.
Paul

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 02:31:50 PM »
agree. As much as Kobe would be a great addition he may not be a great fit. Jackson, even tho he was the man in ATL, still has a role player mentality. Kobe on the other hand is a super star and while its possible for him to take a back seat it would almost be a waste not only money wise but talent wise for him to play that position so early in his career.

KOB-ME wouldn't take a back seat to SHAQ, he certainly wouldn't take a back seat to Duncan.
I dont think kobe would FEEL like he is taking a back seat, he knows he cant win by himself.  I think Duncan and the team as a whole would make him feel at home.  where as in LA it is constant griping in the media with shaq or others, he would have to worry about that her in SA.  I think playing here would be a welcome change for him and I think he would welcome the chance to play for us. the problam is that he would need to rebuild his endorsements somehow, and i am sorry but i dont think kobe would like doing commercials for the local car dealer here as being real endorsements.  he needs exposure with real money wanting to use him as an advertiser.  sa doenst have that for him unfortunately....
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 02:38:08 PM »
Believe it or not folks, Tim Duncan does a local car dealer's advertisments here!

He also has an endorsement contract WITH THE LOCAL GROCERY FOOD CHAIN!  :rofl:  
Paul

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 02:48:51 PM »
Believe it or not folks, Tim Duncan does a local car dealer's advertisments here!

thank you.  and that is why i mentioned it, kobe would not settle for that dude....although i think i better go to malik eatery before he closes shop and heads for charlotte............doh!!!

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 02:49:38 PM »

and i happen to like the H.E.B.  "Cooking with Tim" commercials, they crack me up.

:D