Author Topic: Latest on McGrady...  (Read 2133 times)

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Latest on McGrady...
« on: June 14, 2004, 09:57:49 AM »
the Orlando Magic are forced to trade Tracy McGrady -- and they will only do so if McGrady says that he won't resign beyond next season -- Gannett Newspaper's Florida Today in  Saturday's newspaper speculates that the Magic could engineer one of the following exchanges:

Steve Francis: He is coming off his worst season in the NBA, shooting horribly and also feuding with coach Jeff Van Gundy. He is overrated as a playmaker, but he might be the best the Magic can do.

Manu Ginobili, Malik Rose and the No. 28 pick: Ginobili, a blossoming star, is a restricted free agent so this would have to be of the sign-and-trade variety. But would the Spurs bust up a team that won a title just a year ago?

Shawn Marion, Joe Johnson and the No. 7 pick: Phoenix has vehemently denied that it would have any interest in this trade, but the Suns would be foolish to pass on a star like McGrady. This trade isn't particularly sexy for the Magic, but it beats getting nothing in return.

It's important to note that Malik Rose is not on the protected list that was submitted to the Charlotte Bobcats on Friday. That would allow Malik to be drafted away from the Spurs by Charlotte during the upcoming expansion draft.

McGrady has been openly frustrated with the direction of the franchise and has said that if the team can't dramatically improve this summer that he wants to play elsewhere. He has even gone as far as mentioning the Los Angeles Lakers, Houston Rockets and San Antonio Spurs as potential destinations where he would like to play if the Magic trade him.  :puke:

Paul

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Latest on McGrady...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 10:18:55 AM »
Personally, I can't see Phoenix being interested if it means giving up Marion, Johnson, and the #7, which is sounding like it's going to be the guy I like (Andruiskevicius).  That would leave Phoenix needing to pick up just a point guard to be really solid, and I really like the look of Barbosa.  Steve Nash is a free agent, and he'd be a really good fit on the team.  McGrady, at that point, is a one-year gamble;  I don't see Phoenix being radically better than Orlando is right now if they trade away Marion, Johnson, and the #7.

Francis for McGrady makes some sense, but only if Houston throws in a bit of size.  Cato wouldn't be a bad pick-up for Orlando, and Orlando has plenty of big stiffs to send along with McGrady to balance out salaries.  Of course, that means Cuttino Mobley would have to move back to point.  A good idea?  I don't think so.

McGrady in San An is interesting, but again, expensive.  Ginobili is a better fit off the bench than in the starting line-up in San An, but I think he's a key element to this team.  And could McGrady accept being the second-best player on the team?  I'm skeptical.

The Lakers?  What are they going to send back?  Bryant and O'Neal won't go to the Magic, and I can't see Orlando being interested in picking up Payton, Malone, George, Fisher, Cook, Walton, Medvedenko, Russell, or Fox.  I doubt Orlando's in any hurry to pick up Kareem Rush, either.  And Horace Grant has already been run out of town.  Outside of the coaching staff or the superstars, there's nothing in LA that Orlando would want.

Personally, if McGrady goes anywhere, I think it will be to Portland or Memphis.  These are teams with tradeable talent.  McGrady wouldn't mind being associated with Jerry West.  And for Portland, McGrady might have some say in who the next Blazer coach would be, since I don't expect Cheeks to last the season.

I'm sorry, but I don't see a huge market for McGrady given the teams he's said he'll go to.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Latest on McGrady...
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 11:12:30 AM »
Manu, and Malik and the #28 pick?
That would be robbery by Orlando.
GNob does so many things that dont show up in the stat box.
In a way to me he is just as good as McGrady.

How about Malik and Sean Rooks and #28?   :rofl:

Steve Francis?  Only if he could be coached.  If that was all Orlando could get but concur with JoeV that Hou would need to throw in a big forward.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2004, 11:27:34 AM by Reality »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Latest on McGrady...
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 11:14:45 AM »
no way would they trade mannu for t mac...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Latest on McGrady...
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 11:27:09 AM »
I don't think PHX would do that deal at all.  That's 2 potential 20 ppg scorers and the 7 pick for mcgrady and his back problems.

as for andriuskevicious, rumor has it that if he doesn't get a top 5 guarantee, he's going to pull out of the draft.  So I'm not sure here's there for phx.  we'll know in 3 days.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Latest on McGrady...
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 01:16:49 PM »
SA wouldn't trade Manu for McGrady or Orlando wouldn't trade McGrady for Manu?  The only reason that SA would jump all over that would be some arcane salary cap rule.  As good as Manu is, and he is pretty good, he ain't Tracy McGrady.  If it allows you to get out from underneath Roses contract, then all the better.

McGrady for Francis straight up is a joke.  Francis is a good player, but Manu is better, much better.  If Orlando isn't willing to take Manu for McGrady, no way they take Stevie "CBA Franchise".  Houston will have to offer a lot more than just Francis.

Portland has already expressed interest, and I can guarantee you that they are making a full court press.  McGrady for Rahim, plus Derek Anderson, plus the #13 pick, and Portland does the deal in a heartbeat.  One reason this deal wouldn't happen is that Orlando is going to draft Okafor or Howard, and already have Juwan Howard, and all of them play the same position as Rahim.
Portland is also pursuing Vince Carter.  Word is that Vince is not happy with the front office changes, he wanted Dr. J (why I don't know), and now wants out.  Toronto bet the farm that Vince would be the player to take them to the next level, and that hasn't happened.  If they can move him, and get an ending contract of a good player they will consider it.  This deal would be Rahim and DA for Vince and a bad contract.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Latest on McGrady...
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 01:19:16 PM »
SA wouldn't trade Manu for McGrady or Orlando wouldn't trade McGrady for Manu?  The only reason that SA would jump all over that would be some arcane salary cap rule.  As good as Manu is, and he is pretty good, he ain't Tracy McGrady.  If it allows you to get out from underneath Roses contract, then all the better.

McGrady for Francis straight up is a joke.  Francis is a good player, but Manu is better, much better.  If Orlando isn't willing to take Manu for McGrady, no way they take Stevie "CBA Franchise".  Houston will have to offer a lot more than just Francis.

Portland has already expressed interest, and I can guarantee you that they are making a full court press.  McGrady for Rahim, plus Derek Anderson, plus the #13 pick, and Portland does the deal in a heartbeat.  One reason this deal wouldn't happen is that Orlando is going to draft Okafor or Howard, and already have Juwan Howard, and all of them play the same position as Rahim.
Portland is also pursuing Vince Carter.  Word is that Vince is not happy with the front office changes, he wanted Dr. J (why I don't know), and now wants out.  Toronto bet the farm that Vince would be the player to take them to the next level, and that hasn't happened.  If they can move him, and get an ending contract of a good player they will consider it.  This deal would be Rahim and DA for Vince and a bad contract.
Leave out one word and the meaning is entirely different.  Should read

SA wouldn't trade Manu for McGrady or Orlando wouldn't trade McGrady for Manu?  The only reason that SA would NOT jump all over that would be some arcane salary cap rule.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Latest on McGrady...
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 02:30:38 PM »

SA wouldn't trade Manu for McGrady or Orlando wouldn't trade McGrady for Manu?  The only reason that SA would NOT jump all over that would be some arcane salary cap rule.
even if manu was signed to the max, he would not be traded out of here, pop would be an idiot, the father of all idiots to do that.  rose may go in, but it wont be with manu.  t-mac also does no fit into our style i dont think Pop and rc would give it serious thought.  why go for t mac when they could go for s jackson who they could get to play team defanse as well as score for us...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Guest_Randy

Latest on McGrady...
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 05:21:26 PM »

even if manu was signed to the max, he would not be traded out of here, pop would be an idiot, the father of all idiots to do that.  rose may go in, but it wont be with manu.  t-mac also does no fit into our style i dont think Pop and rc would give it serious thought.  why go for t mac when they could go for s jackson who they could get to play team defanse as well as score for us...
TMac is a VERY underrated defender -- mainly because VC has rubbed off on him too much and he feels like he doesn't NEED to play D every time down the court.  TMac is a better defender, IMO, when he wants to be than Stephen Jackson -- he just doesn't want to be very often.  With Jackson, it all goes back to whether or not he is willing to take a back seat in SA because you never know when Pop is going to insert Manu into the starting line-up.  I'd be surprised if Jackson signed with SA again.  Look for a team like Utah to pick him up.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Latest on McGrady...
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 05:29:02 PM »

TMac is a VERY underrated defender -- mainly because VC has rubbed off on him too much and he feels like he doesn't NEED to play D every time down the court.  TMac is a better defender, IMO, when he wants to be than Stephen Jackson -- he just doesn't want to be very often.  With Jackson, it all goes back to whether or not he is willing to take a back seat in SA because you never know when Pop is going to insert Manu into the starting line-up.  I'd be surprised if Jackson signed with SA again.  Look for a team like Utah to pick him up.
the reason i say s jackson is because jackson has already made public he will sign with either sa or atlanta, he does not want to play anywhere else.  the ball is in our court, we have a chance to get him back and i think they should take it...