Author Topic: K Garnett's "gangsta" comments  (Read 2622 times)

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
K Garnett's "gangsta" comments
« on: May 18, 2004, 08:16:32 AM »
Anyone catch his comments yesterday. He said he was going to load up his uzi and 9's, and numerous other weapons and take it to the war against the Kings.  It was totally insane. :crazy:  
Paul

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 08:59:28 AM »
Really the same thing as the way overplayed "we're going to war" analogy, or the "it was a battle out there".

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 09:22:52 AM »
I don't care if he is using metaphors, the attitude Garnett is diplaying of late is disturbing, I had alway felt he was a pretty decent person but lately he is acting more like a thug than a gentleman, and what gives with both their playoff series thus far becoming so physical and contentious? Does anyone else here think you have to look at the one constant in both the first and second round of the midwest series, the Wolves, and say perhaps these boys are playing it a little dirtier than need be, are they that desperate to prove their season and their team is as advertised?

What is your opinion JN?
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 09:37:28 AM »
I saw the interview on ESPN and my first thought is he was trying to be like Shaq.  Too bad KG can't pull it off, he's not a battle tested winner nor is he an affable big oaf like Shaq.  Shaq pulled it off with his commentes about learning the Lakers had signed GP and Malone, he said something to the affect of: "last hear I had a couple of tanks and a few grenades, this year I've got nuclear weapons etc......"  KG did not pull it off, he came off like some HS punk.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 09:41:46 AM »
I had alway felt he was a pretty decent person but lately he is acting more like a thug than a gentleman

What someone says on a basketball court, in the heat of competition, or to a reporter doesn't really affect my opinion of someone.  The reality of the situation is we know nothing about these people's personal lives and how they really are.

I think I fully realized that when hearing about Dr. J's infedility and two abandoned kids.  I can't imagine having more respect for a ball player growing up than I had for the Dr. (even if I didn't become a huge fan until he was retired).  And to have two kids, out of wedlock, whom for a long time didn't even know who their father was....

Garnett may be a great guy.  He may be a creep (although I don't think so).  Bottom line is, we have no idea based solely on what the media tells us.  I try not to make assumptions about someone's personal life and personality when I don't personally know them.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 09:54:13 AM »
I don't care if he is using metaphors, the attitude Garnett is diplaying of late is disturbing, I had alway felt he was a pretty decent person but lately he is acting more like a thug than a gentleman, and what gives with both their playoff series thus far becoming so physical and contentious? Does anyone else here think you have to look at the one constant in both the first and second round of the midwest series, the Wolves, and say perhaps these boys are playing it a little dirtier than need be, are they that desperate to prove their season and their team is as advertised?

What is your opinion JN?
you think this is strange by KG???  doesnt anyone remember his "Shock the world" comment a few years back??  

:crazy:  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 11:06:33 AM »
What someone says on a basketball court, in the heat of competition, or to a reporter doesn't really affect my opinion of someone.  The reality of the situation is we know nothing about these people's personal lives and how they really are.

I think I fully realized that when hearing about Dr. J's infedility and two abandoned kids.  I can't imagine having more respect for a ball player growing up than I had for the Dr. (even if I didn't become a huge fan until he was retired).  And to have two kids, out of wedlock, whom for a long time didn't even know who their father was....

Garnett may be a great guy.  He may be a creep (although I don't think so).  Bottom line is, we have no idea based solely on what the media tells us.  I try not to make assumptions about someone's personal life and personality when I don't personally know them.
Bottom line is, we have no idea based solely on what the media tells us.
[/b]

If it were the 'media' putting words in his mouth, this would understandable, but the message Kevin made was not edited by anyone, but live.

Personally, I could care less about this pre-game BS. The media is playing it up and I got to listen to various opinions on the morning sports radio show here in Sacramento discussing the merit of the MVP uttering words of war and affecting the minds of our youth because of his status as a recognizable NBA star. Give me a break! The worst thing you could say about it is that it was in poor taste considering the War in Iraq, but no one would bat an eye if we were at peace.

As for Dr. J, no one was more disappointed then I when I heard about his illegitimate children. Not that he had them, because anyone can drop a kid without much effort, but because he had no connection with them until they did not need him any more. That was sad. I always thought of Dr. J was the Michael Jordan of his day, only more so. Jordan could only wish he could fly like Irving could. I still have never seen anyone with the lift and finish of Julius Irving. With the advent of cable sports channels and programs after his retired, Irving never got the exposure that Jordan did, but if he had, all anyone would be saying of Jordan would be that he was the poor man's Dr. J.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 11:06:51 AM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 11:11:44 AM »
I understand where you're coming from Derek, but I feel words do matter more than that, very often they reveal the person you are within, for example, in Shaq's case, it reveals him to be an idiot that rarely opens his mouth other than to change feet, I think most of us would agree on that. When your actions match your words, obviously it is easier to formulate an opinion about an individual. If Garnett for example, were to say "This is war, and no pasty faced punk whiteboy like Brad Miller is going to pu his hand in my face and get away with it" (he DID NOT say this, this is just a hypothetical) the logical conclusion would be he is probably a racist, even if none of his actions heretofore had demonstrated such to be the case. So yes, Derek words DO matter. Garnett has been behaving like a thug the last few weeks, maybe we are seeing the real Garnett and his words are vaildating what we are seeing. That is not being judgemental, that is seeing someone being a punk and calling him a punk.
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2004, 11:14:50 AM »
I still have never seen anyone with the lift and finish of Julius Irving.
The helecopter move from one side of the key to the other as he twirled and rotated the ball around with arm extended was the bomb.

One of the few pieces of tape i ever saw from his pre-Injury ABA days.
Some have said he never was the same after the knee injury, and that included his entire NBA career if I'm not mistaken.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2004, 11:41:28 AM »
Dan: I have a hard time believing anything said to the media is "real".  It's like calling reality television real.  Do people act in their true nature when on camera, in a national stage?  Certainly not.  Call it posturing.  Call it getting carried away.  Call it a moment of stupidity.  Who knows.

There are lines that can be crossed (for example, you can safely assume John Rocker is a racist bigot) because he clearly shared his (idiotic) views to the world.

For the most part, it's hard to decipher what anyone says to the media (or what the media says about them) as being their true personality.  There are a million different agendas, by a million different people.  There are slip-ups.  There's posturing.  There's flat-out lies, halftruths and misinformation.  Trying to figure out what is what, to me, is a waste of time.

And, frankly, I don't care anymore.  These aren't my personal friends.  I don't know them personaly.  I don't have any mental attachments.  I know nothing about these people.  They're not role models, and if they're a-holes, so be it.

It's like people who watch endless documentaries on hollywood stars.  For some people, that's fascinating.  It's not my thing.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 09:47:18 AM »
I dont know whats worse......People blowing his war comments out of proportion or him actually apologizing for them.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2004, 06:53:11 PM »
Very stupid comments.  One thing I have always said about him is that he is simply not very bright.   In fact I would go so far as to say there are some things about him are almost naive and juvenile.  Unfortunately in an attempt to provide a good quote he screwed up.

In seeing this quote here (I have been too busy fishing and learning how to play Sonic the Hedghog with my nephews in Tejas) I'm reminded of WWII Vet Marv Levy's cutting line about athletes calling sports a war.

"No one ever jumped out the foxhole yelling 'This is FOOTBALL!'" :ph34r:

On the other hand this is the same guy who took time to mention Spencer Haywood in his MVP acceptance press conference and is generally cited by other players as one the people they most want a chance to play with.

Sadly I feel like I've been offered a choice.  Do you want your team to win with KG getting a bit chippy and adding bums like Spree or do you want to go back to the days of losing with Citizenship award winner Terrell Brandon?  :unsure:  

rickortreat

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 10:07:48 AM »
Look, most of these guys aren't rocket scientists or politicians, they're ball players.  Many of them say stupid things.  Even when they're done playing.  Anyone remember Reggie White's racist comments? -Not that he intended it that way but he used steroetypes to describe others.  Remember Charles Barkley criticising the Masters for lengthening the course, saying they were prejuidiced against Tiger?  Never mind that Tiger is still one of the longer hitters on the tour.

But what Dr. J did was worse, much much worse.  He way allways one of the more articulate players and allways seemed to know what to say.  So I imagine he's more than intelligent enough to know that you don't have children you don't take responsibility for.  My perception of him went as a person went way down after that.