Author Topic: How surprised were you to see no Malik Rose  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
How surprised were you to see no Malik Rose
« on: May 17, 2004, 12:28:23 PM »
Well not "no" Malik Rose but practically.

Seems like Spurs and Lakers see this one alike.

I thought the slowed down half court fight for rebounds game was prime time to insert Malik.  Also to get some O around the hoop as the long shots were so obviously not falling.  To everyone but Pop.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 12:51:50 PM »
You know, I don't mean to kick someone when they're down, but they spoiled a great opportunity with this capspace.

72 million tied up in Rose and Rasho, 11.5 this year.  And for what?  3.65 points and 3.95 rebounds per game average in the playoffs.  Oops.

I can see the signing of Rose, because scrapping role players are always at a premium, but only IF YOU WERE ACTUALLY GOING TO PLAY HIM.  The signing of Rasho was just a mistake.

They had a golden opportunity to land a marquee, young talent in free agency before needing to re-sign Parker and Gnobili.  Instead of adding another star they added 2 horrible contracts on players who didn't contribute.  Now, depending on what kind of an offer manu gets, they MAY have another opportunity.  Let's see if they blow it again.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 01:06:47 PM »
You know, I don't mean to kick someone when they're down, but they spoiled a great opportunity with this capspace.

72 million tied up in Rose and Rasho, 11.5 this year.  And for what?  3.65 points and 3.95 rebounds per game average in the playoffs.  Oops.

I can see the signing of Rose, because scrapping role players are always at a premium, but only IF YOU WERE ACTUALLY GOING TO PLAY HIM.  The signing of Rasho was just a mistake.

They had a golden opportunity to land a marquee, young talent in free agency before needing to re-sign Parker and Gnobili.  Instead of adding another star they added 2 horrible contracts on players who didn't contribute.  Now, depending on what kind of an offer manu gets, they MAY have another opportunity.  Let's see if they blow it again.
I think one game malik pulled down like 4 rebounds in 3 minutes which led to Kerr asking the question " WHY did Pop pull him out of the game??"  I agreed, however Pop was also not using Malik correctly.  One game I saw Malik trying to fonr Shaq the way Rasho does!!!  WTF was Pop thinking with that??  Malik can play shaq, BEHIND shaq, becuase of his strong legs.  Yet Pop didnt use him this way, it was a waste.  oh wqell with horry gone, malik should be back next year...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 01:12:57 PM »
Once again...OUTCOACHED.
Paul

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 01:50:21 PM »
I think one game malik pulled down like 4 rebounds in 3 minutes which led to Kerr asking the question " WHY did Pop pull him out of the game??"
WRONG!!!!

Malik pulled down 4 boards in 30 seconds.  :eek2:

After Kerr made that comment the other announcer joked that maybe Malik was supposed to pull down 5.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 02:21:47 PM »
Just as surprised as I would be to see any other 10th or 11th man on the roster get major playing time.  Horry throughout the year outplayed Rose and took his playing time.  Rose got pushed down the depth chart and maintained a professional attitude but couldn't regain playing time.

Rose, due to the decrease in playing time, often pushed too hard on the court trying to make things happen.  He became a turnover machine....throwing away inbounds passes, putting up questionable shots and not handling the ball well.  He is a force on the offensive glass but put the ball in his hands on the perimeter and more often than not it became a turnover.  And Malik can occasionally hit the 15 ft jumper but he isn't consistent from that range.

And despite Laker fans opinions to the contrary....Rose cannot guard Shaq effectively.  Last year vs the Spurs Shaq started to go off on the offensive end when Malik would come into the game.  Mostly by getting position and shooting over Rose.  Rose's quickness and desire caused Shaq some problems but not enough to slow him down.  

Rose's strength is hitting the offensive glass....something that really wasn't missing in this series.  The Spurs stayed close in the last 3 games mainly because of their offensive rebounding (they had enough chances with all the bricks flying) so Rose wasn't needed.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 02:24:33 PM »
I think one game malik pulled down like 4 rebounds in 3 minutes which led to Kerr asking the question " WHY did Pop pull him out of the game??"
WRONG!!!!

Malik pulled down 4 boards in 30 seconds.  :eek2:

After Kerr made that comment the other announcer joked that maybe Malik was supposed to pull down 5.
really 30 seconds??  damn!

B)

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 03:05:42 PM »
Just as surprised as I would be to see any other 10th or 11th man on the roster get major playing time.  Horry throughout the year outplayed Rose and took his playing time.  Rose got pushed down the depth chart and maintained a professional attitude but couldn't regain playing time.

Rose, due to the decrease in playing time, often pushed too hard on the court trying to make things happen.  He became a turnover machine....throwing away inbounds passes, putting up questionable shots and not handling the ball well.  He is a force on the offensive glass but put the ball in his hands on the perimeter and more often than not it became a turnover.  And Malik can occasionally hit the 15 ft jumper but he isn't consistent from that range.

And despite Laker fans opinions to the contrary....Rose cannot guard Shaq effectively.  Last year vs the Spurs Shaq started to go off on the offensive end when Malik would come into the game.  Mostly by getting position and shooting over Rose.  Rose's quickness and desire caused Shaq some problems but not enough to slow him down.  

Rose's strength is hitting the offensive glass....something that really wasn't missing in this series.  The Spurs stayed close in the last 3 games mainly because of their offensive rebounding (they had enough chances with all the bricks flying) so Rose wasn't needed.
Umm, Rose would have done as good a job, or better, IMO against Shaq as Rasho did.  As for the Spurs not needing the offensive boards that Rose provides -- they also needed his energy -- something that Rasho wasn't giving them.