Author Topic: Kings Acquire Sam Cassell  (Read 2400 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Kings Acquire Sam Cassell
« on: February 17, 2009, 03:00:25 PM »
Tuesday, February 17, 2009: SACRAMENTO, CA ---- The Sacramento Kings today acquired Boston Celtics point guard Sam Cassell and cash considerations in exchange for a conditional 2nd round pick in 2015.

Woo Hoo
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kings Acquire Sam Cassell
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 04:53:14 PM »
Well that should solve the King's... I mean at least he will provide some... errr...this will help them with their.....that is to say he... ummmmmm.....
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 05:01:50 PM »
No way#@$@($@)#($@#$(
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 05:18:51 PM »
What is the rule on trading a player onto another team?  Is it like 24 hours, 48 hours, or must be simultaneous?  Seems the only thing that makes sense is that another trade is in the works.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 06:12:40 PM »
Actually, I heard the Kings were going to just cut him.

Haven't had to swim in the shallow end of the Petrie Dish for a while, but this team gives hope that if a trade to get us Butt Ugly Wrinkle has finally ihappened, Amare Stoudemire in a Kings' uniform has to be in the works.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 06:31:45 PM »
Butt Ugly must be thrilled too.  Going from Celts to Kings.  If you believe JoeV, the history of Cassell is great in first year with team and/or contract year.  So i guess the Celts got what they needed out of him, he did contribute to a ring.

Well lets wait and see where he ends up.  Maybe he will land on a contender after all.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 06:37:10 PM »
E.T. is a king....meh.... :-\
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 07:28:39 PM »

Haven't had to swim in the shallow end of the Petrie Dish for a while, but this team gives hope that if a trade to get us Butt Ugly Wrinkle has finally ihappened, Amare Stoudemire in a Kings' uniform has to be in the works.

Why would the Kings give up a conditional second round pick just to cut the guy?  If that is what is happening, then why didn't the Celtics just cut him?  What are the Kings getting out of the deal?
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 07:41:49 PM »

Why would the Kings give up a conditional second round pick just to cut the guy?  If that is what is happening, then why didn't the Celtics just cut him?  What are the Kings getting out of the deal?

A bit of cash for the poor Maloofs to cover their gambling debts and a little salary cap relieve by dumping the player. Other then that, the Sac Bee can now at least tell its "loyal" readers, "SEE, we TOLD you a deal was in the works!!"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 05:30:58 PM »
thoughts on trade?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 05:44:56 PM »
This I believe plays into the Sam Cassell deal as well.  I am assuming that Sacto added Cassell to match salaries to make this deal work, and then Portland got some kind of trade exception or perhaps 2 out of the deal, which they will then use in another trade.  Have to wait and see how it all plays out, unless Derek has a better handle on the details.

Sources: Bulls, Kings pull off deal
Comment Email Print Share
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com
Archive

The Chicago Bulls and Sacramento Kings have reached tentative agreement on a trade sending Andres Nocioni, Drew Gooden and Cedric Simmons to the Kings for Brad Miller and John Salmons, ESPN.com.

One source said the Bulls players were pulled off the team bus Wednesday afternoon and were told they had been traded.

The deal also involved a third team. The Bulls agreed to send Michael Ruffin to Portland, and the Trail Blazers would ship Ike Diogu to the Kings, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.

Another source said the trade was expected to be finalized by Wednesday evening.

Miller is averaging 11.9 points and 8.0 rebounds per game for the 11-43 Kings. One of the better passing big men in the league, Miller has made two All-Star teams and actually played for the Bulls from 2000-02.

This will be the third team for Salmons in his seven-year career. He is averaging a career high 18.3 points per game, well above his career mark of 8.3.

The gritty Nocioni has played his entire five-year career with the Bulls, averaging 11.7 points and 5.0 rebounds over that time bouncing between the starting five and the bench. He signed a five-year extension in 2007.

Gooden was traded to the Bulls last season in the deal that sent Ben Wallace to the Cleveland Cavaliers. He was averaging 13.1 points and 8.6 rebounds in an injury-plagued year. The number that likely interested the Kings the most, however, is the $7.2 million that will come off their books this summer since he has an expiring contract. Simmons also has an expiring contract, so the Kings basically traded the salaries of Miller and Salmons for Nocioni's.

AA Mil

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 06:16:16 PM »
All trades involving the Kings right now are based on expiring salaries acquired and salary dumping, plus any cash considerations coming to the Kings. The Kings are payroll heavy and for a bad team that is just sick. So it is likely the Kings want to prepare for future summers when free agents can be bought and they need the cap space by at least 2010 to be a player.