Author Topic: Jackson is through for the Kings  (Read 1787 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Jackson is through for the Kings
« on: April 19, 2004, 11:09:47 AM »
Bobby Jackson announced yesterday that there was little chance of his playing in the post season this year. His abdominal injury still hurts and is not getting any better. Advised that the only cure for it would be complete rest for three months, that just about assures his absence from any post season play on his part.

Which means Anthony Peeler's name is going to become better known on the Kings. A solid defender who led the League in three point shooting percentage this year, he made all three of his three pointers on Sunday and defended well in his twenty minutes on the court.

But without Bobby Jackson, the Kings have lost for good the most energetic bench player in the League. In that his absence in the latter part of the season has been cited as a major reason the Kings faltered down the stretch, it could either spell the end of the Kings chances or the Kings now will have to accept that they will not have him to inspire them when they start to drag on the court and become more self-motivated without him.

Along those lines, Doug Christie clearly has upped his effort, especially on offense, to fill this void. But Peeler has to produce as he becomes the main guard off the bench for SacTown. And just maybe the rebounding effort can now shift to "real" power forwards on the Kings - guys in the 6'10" realm and above - instead of relying on their 6'1" "power forward" to bail them out.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 11:50:52 AM »
That was a huge win for the Kings yesterday.  They suffer a loss and all of the sudden everyone (the media & fans) are talking about their fragile mindset.  Christie was clearly the x-factor.  I didn't see what he finished with, but sometime during the 3rd period he already had 10 dimes, I think he had 8 at halftime.  In addition, his D, scoring and all around hustle were the difference in the game.  Especially with Bibby having an off day.  C-Webb had a nice showing and I thought the Kings did a pretty good job of taking it to the basket down low.  Dallas has zero interior D, so the Kings will have to stick with that strategy and not fall in to the jump shot, run and shoot style.  Even though they accel at the fast pace style of play, so does Dallas and they obviously have a better chance beating Sac at that pace.  

The loss of Bobby Jackson is HUGE and I have no doubt in my mind that was the major reason for the Kings faltering down the stretch.  To have a guy coming off of the bench that can consistently score 20 points along with all of the boards and hustle plays is extremely valuable to any team.

After yesterday, I think the Kings definitely win this series.  I think it gave them the confidence they needed to put away Dallas.  Dallas may take one or even two in Dallas, but that will be it.  I'd bet Kings in 6.  All that being said, even without Jackson, I think the Kings have as good a shot as anyone to win it all.  The Spurs look like they are in the driver seat, and they are the defending Champs so you have to give them that, but after the Spurs, I think the Kings, Wolves, and Lake-show all have an equal shot at this point.  It will be an exciting month!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 02:24:27 PM »
Must be nice to fill a player like B-Jackson's spot with a player like Peeler.  IMO hes a perfect fit to fill the role that Bobby played on the team.  Peeler can defend, he can score, and he is a seasoned vet.  It is nice to see 2 of the x-factors for the Kings be old Purple and Gold "flossers" :lol:
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 02:35:30 PM »
Hitch your playoff hopes to Peeler?  No thanks.  I've seen the results of that year after year after year..... :(  

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 04:36:15 PM »
Hitch your playoff hopes to Peeler?  No thanks.  I've seen the results of that year after year after year..... :(
Peeler is a good player to come off the bench and he is going to get a lot of wide open looks due to the attention that Peja gets.  But I still think the Kings made a HUGE mistake by letting Jimmy Jackson go.  Jackson is a better defender and a better ballhandler, IMO -- and he brings a toughness that the Kings need.  I think Peeler is a good solid player but he is a role player and he isn't nearly as good as Bobby Jackson.  With Jackson you have to be careful because he will drive the lane and either take it to the hole or dish it off -- with Peeler you just have to guard him for shooting, not driving.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 04:42:53 PM »
Hitch your playoff hopes to Peeler?  No thanks.  I've seen the results of that year after year after year..... :(
Peeler is a good player to come off the bench and he is going to get a lot of wide open looks due to the attention that Peja gets.  But I still think the Kings made a HUGE mistake by letting Jimmy Jackson go.  Jackson is a better defender and a better ballhandler, IMO -- and he brings a toughness that the Kings need.  I think Peeler is a good solid player but he is a role player and he isn't nearly as good as Bobby Jackson.  With Jackson you have to be careful because he will drive the lane and either take it to the hole or dish it off -- with Peeler you just have to guard him for shooting, not driving.
Jackson is a big reason for the Rockets competiteness in this series.  I'm amazed the guy has made such a dramatic turn around so late in his career.  As big as the aquisition of Miller was for the Kings, losing JJ and TurkeyBoy was just as big a loss.  Kings need a bench overhaul, long gone are the days of the "Bench Mob".
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"