Author Topic: Elton Brand - Injury Discussion  (Read 5017 times)

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Elton Brand - Injury Discussion
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 03:10:50 PM »
Well as a sports fan have you ever heard anyone recovering from even a small labrum tear in one month and being 100%?  Let alone a tear and broken bone? 

Can't say I have

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 03:12:18 PM »
This will more than likely be one of those injuries where a month from now he'll be a couple weeks away, then a couple weeks later, he'll be another week or two away... so forth and so on. 

jemagee

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 03:15:40 PM »
I just hope that they don't rush him back, let him rush back, ruin him for ever and make him another in a long line of free agent acquistiions that just didn't work out for philadlephia.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 04:01:49 PM »
I guess we will just have to wait and see.  Sounds like relatively good news overall.

A few things from a non expert:

Hairline fractures can heal in one month- it really doesn't matter where it is on the body, a crack in the bone s quickly.

As for rehab- how much you need depends on the severity of the damage and how much associated muscle atrophy occurs from lack of use.  If he can get back quickly, that will be doubly good, because he won't need to rebuild his shoulder muscles.

Its like a knee- if it is totally immobilized for 2 months then you have to rebuild the muscles from scratch.  If you have a more minor procedure without complete immobilization then the muscles don't atrophy.

As for the labrum- lets just say we should be glad he does not have to throw a slider ;)

jemagee

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 04:37:22 PM »
Ok - tell me about the labrum - yeah i know it's bad for pitchers (see Martinez, Pedro) to tear it, but what kind of stresses does it go through in the type of game brand plays?

If you can that is - thanks

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 06:11:37 PM »
It does for the shoulder what the miniscus does for the knee.  It pads and reduces friction.  Like a meniscus small tears can either heal or be "cleaned out" with a scope.  Bigger tears can be a serious problem, requiring multiple surgeries (ask Lamar Odom.)  Until it heals it will limit the stability and range of motion of his shoulder. 

From the 1 month timetable, I'm assuming they expect the labrum and small crack in the bone to heal on its own over 2-3 weeks.  Then they will gradually try to get him back.  If there is a major setback with the labrum, he will require surgery and a lengthier recovery time.

I can't compare a pitching motion to what an NBA player has to do any better than you can- but the labrum is more important for stability than strength. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 06:21:44 PM by tk76- »

jemagee

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 07:08:03 PM »
Until it heals it will limit the stability and range of motion of his shoulder. 

Sounds like something a big man would need to be at full strength?

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 07:42:06 PM »
I always thought a labrum injury was a huge thing because I only ever heard about them in baseball, but from reading up when my wife hurt her shoulder (reaching for the brass ring on a merry-go-round of all things) last year, labrum tears are pretty common in everyday people.  they are just hugely problematic in pitchers because of the enormous, repetitive strain that pitching places on a person's shoulder. 

As tk noted there are very different degrees of tears.  My guess is that he will be out about a month and a half by the time it heals and he is fully rehabbed.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 07:45:34 PM »
If this is only 4-6 weeks, and they can stay in the playoff hunt, it might turn out fine.  Plenty of time left to integrate him into the offense before the playoffs.

The problem is that schedule coming up is really tough.  They can't afford to drop to far below 500.  40-42 won't likely get it done this year.

jemagee

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 07:46:35 PM »
If this is only 4-6 weeks, and they can stay in the playoff hunt, it might turn out fine.  Plenty of time left to integrate him into the offense before the playoffs.

Here's my problem 'playoff hunt' smells like first round exit and then millers gone...i kind of wish brand was down for the season because we need to not let miller walk for nothing.

If miller walks for nothing the net trade for iverson is 2 first round playoff losses?

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2008, 08:32:02 PM »
FYI, if you want a very detailed description of Labrum injuries and their treatment course:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/92512-overview

If you ever want to get a doctor's level of detail on a medical topic search the condition and emedicine.  This gets you to the site without logging in.  It is an online textbook for physicians.