Author Topic: Elton Brand - Injury Discussion  (Read 5019 times)

jemagee

Elton Brand - Injury Discussion
« on: December 18, 2008, 10:19:40 AM »
He's reportedly going to have an MRI today (see that Phillies, an MRI).

Even if it's only partially dislocated, what do you do?  Do you want Brand to rush back or do you wish him to fully rehab no matter how long it takes for the long term health of the sixers?

Me, I think he wasn't fully receovered from his other injury yet and I'd rather the sixers maybe lose a bit this year but have a fully healthy brand then rush him back to try and win a couple more games in a season where i don't see them having a snowballs chance against the celtics or cavs in 7 games

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Elton Brand - Injury Discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 11:23:21 AM »
I'd rather him come back fully healed.  It doesn't look like we're going to make it too far anyway.... and as someone alluded to earlier, this could spark a Dre Miller trade and we would probably get decent value in return. 

jemagee

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 11:29:23 AM »
(that was me by the way ;)

For those of us not in the city if any results make it to the radio or local news - could someone post it?

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 11:50:37 AM »
We could use a little TK medical wisdom right about now.  8)  Although I'm sure it's difficult to speak intelligently on without knowing the details of the injury. 

jemagee

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 11:53:34 AM »
Well if you want some anecdotal commentary - go to depressedfan.com (so far the best sixers blog i've found, most intelligent)...he had a separated shoulder in high school and shares his experience

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 12:31:02 PM »
I'm in the dark just like everyone else.  Even if I was more an expert, treating NBA PF's is probably a whole different ballgame.  I would be careful generalizing a normal person's rehab to a 250 pound NBA PF.

The closest parallel I found was when Varajao dislocated his R shoulder on Sep 5th, 2005.  He missed the first 32 games of the season (about 3 months from the injury.)

We don't know how bad the injury is, so its really hard to speculate.

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 12:35:12 PM »
A seperation and a dislocation are different injuries to different joints, from the reports I've heard it sounds like a dislocation of the glenohumeral joint.  Severity will be determined by what structures were damaged (and to what extent) as the head of the humerus exited and re-entered its proper location.  If he tore the labrum in the process it's going to be a while.

Regardless of which is was - it is his shooting shoulder. 

I wouldn't let him come back until he's close to 100% - he's signed up long term.

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 12:40:46 PM »
Personally - since i still think he's not fully recovered from the other thing - i'd take this opportunity to shut him down for the year - give speights the starting job going forward and let him learn as he goes....i'd take the best offer available for miller and see what happens long term...

jemagee

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 12:47:42 PM »
Text from ESPN 950

1 month with fracture of hmeral head bone AND tear of labrum?

That sounds wrong?

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 01:11:59 PM »
1 month?  I'll take it. 

jemagee

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 01:19:54 PM »
but do you buy he'll be 100% after one month based on the reported injuries?

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 01:29:28 PM »
If he's 100% in 3 months its still better than what I anticipated. 

jemagee

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 01:33:27 PM »
That's not really my point - my point is that to me those seem like pretty serious injuries that would take more than 1 moth rehab alone let alone healing time PLUS rehab - so are the sixers going to rush him back?

Offline anklebreaker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 02:11:22 PM »
Who knows.  I have about as much medical knowledge as Howard Eskin has basketball knowledge, so I'm not really in a position to speculate as to whether 1 month is sufficient time for a full recovery.  I wouldn't be surprised if the team's success without him dictates his time table to some degree. 

jemagee

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 02:32:22 PM »
Well as a sports fan have you ever heard anyone recovering from even a small labrum tear in one month and being 100%?  Let alone a tear and broken bone?  Ever broken a bone - any bone?  Done rehab?  Did  it take more than a month before you were 100%?  Hell i broke my foot in high school playing volleyball - across the top - went to croces rehab center in bryn mawr - total cast and rehab time was well past one month