Author Topic: Opening Night - Sixers  (Read 4211 times)

jemagee

Re: Opening Night - Sixers
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 10:25:48 AM »
We only gave up 10 offensive rebounds on 45 missed shots.  That's a 77.7% defensive rebounding percentage.  by contrast, Toronto only got 58% of their defensive rebounding opportunities.

I did notice an improvement in the second half - 9 of those offensive boards where in the first half and the first half reboudning efficiency was not so good.

Missed open shots
Poor 3 point defense
not enough assists (in  my opinion)
and poor ball handling
and crappy 3 point shooting

I don't care about the 'turnover battle' that way as in who had more - that's not as important as just taking care of the damn ball which they did not do...

I mean, i figured they'd lose because i think the raptors are a better team than the sixers and the sixers will end up 3rd in the atlantic.  Problem is - the problems - bad trend - similar problems

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 01:09:48 PM »
My observations from watching the game on the points Jem raised:

Missed open shots - A lot of them, but many from close in.  Their jump shooting looked about average, until the last few minutes when they jacked up a bunch of wild threes that almost all missed.  They also made themselves easy to defend with very poor floor spacing and did not force enough turnovers to crank their FG% up by running.

Poor 3 point defense - Too much abandonment of three point shooters to help out in the post.  Lou Williams is especially guilty of this.  Again, they looked unsure of where to be on D.  The Raps also him some pretty tough threes once we gave them some confidence with open looks.

not enough assists (in  my opinion) - Too many iso plays, too amny guys banging into one another.  Iggy was his usual early season self trying too hard to make big time passes.

and poor ball handling - Some of it was trying too hard, but a lot of it was the spacing again.  They did not create open passing lanes and allowed the Raptors to often defend two players with one defender.  There was some definite sloppiness when they got behind.

and crappy 3 point shooting - It wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible.  They were 4 for 10 before they got way behind and started shooting ill-advised and rushed threes.  Rush should have seen more floor time and Thad was limited with fould problems, both of them had nice looking strokes.  Iggy has a nice arc on his shot, but it wasn't falling.  Lou Williams was okay, but his shot is still a little flat.

The scariest thing is that Brand did not look good, no explosion off od his feet.  He's not a leaper, but was a strong, quick jumper in the past.  His mobility looked very good on offense and defense, not like a gimpy Webber, but he did not finish well in the paint.  He looks like he is not 100% back yet, possibly more of a mental thing about jumping and pushing off with his previously injured achilles.  The lack of floor spacing also meant he had a ton of defenders to deal with whenever he went into the paint.

As far as bad trends continuing, their offense looked like last years except with a skilled big man plopped down in the middle of it.  If there is a real design to this offense it was not apparent yesterday.  It did look like Iggy was looking to post up more, which would be a good thing for him to do against smaller SG's.  Also, they need to rebuild the second unit with athleticism.  Marshall and Ratliff looked like stone obelisks.  I would prefer to see more of Rush, Ivey (when he is back) and Speights.

jemagee

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 01:11:35 PM »
Also, they need to rebuild the second unit with athleticism.

Damn if only they had an atheltic young big man they could bring off the bench instead of the obslisk of Theo Ratlif.

Oh - wait a minute

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 07:05:34 PM »
Very disappointed with the Sixers' defense.  They did not play their normal hustle game and they cannot shoot with the Raptors, at least not until they work on their offense more.

I'm not sure that Cheeks is the right guy to lead them either.  The decision to put Speights on the IR was a serious mistake since the one position where the Sixers don't have a solid backup is Center.  The Sixers lost all their momentum at the start of the game once Dalembert went out.  He looked dominating in the first minutes of the game, and having another Center would have enabled them to keep the pressure on the Raptors.

The team is a work in progress, but they have a lot of work to do to be able to beat a team like the Raptors.  They should be able to beat them, they aren't as deep and don't have as many talented players.  What they do have is some outside shooters who know how to spot up and make shots.  But in no way is Jason Kapono a better player than Lou Williams.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 07:20:10 PM »
This year will be make or break for Mo.  He looked perturbed last night, but he didn't seem to have any answers either.  If they don't gel and start winning a lot earlier than last year, expect Mo to be gone.

jemagee

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 07:34:53 PM »
This year will be make or break for Mo.  He looked perturbed last night, but he didn't seem to have any answers either.  If they don't gel and start winning a lot earlier than last year, expect Mo to be gone.
at least on season too late

He has no answers for the same problems that have been going on since he arrived?  That's good to know.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 08:50:52 PM »
Defensive rebounding:
Game 1: 77.8% (10 offensive rebounds in 45 chances)
Game 2: 75.8% (16 offensive rebounds in 66 chances)
Overall: 76.6%

Not a bad start.  Hope this continues. 

Offline tk76

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 09:17:31 PM »
With Sam, Brand, Evans and Speights- along with good rebounders at SF and SG I expect this team to clean up on the glass.

The number might come down if the opposition gets long boards from settling for jumpers- but that would also lead to more fast break chances,

jemagee

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 09:42:03 PM »
Defensive rebounding:
Game 1: 77.8% (10 offensive rebounds in 45 chances)
Game 2: 75.8% (16 offensive rebounds in 66 chances)
Overall: 76.6%

Not a bad start.  Hope this continues. 

Bad first halves, both games, very good second halves, i hope it's just a statistical anamoly and not the beginning of a trend, though i'm not sure if it would matter either way...i didn't notice anything tonight different in the second half (I believe the game 2 defensive rebounding in the first half was approximately 66%, i find that number too low, but I didn't calculate the number at the half exactly)

Speights hasn't had any meaningful minutes yet so his impact is yet to be none.

The knicks suck, the sixers should have walloped the knicks...it's nice they did what they should have done.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 09:51:50 PM by jemagee »