Author Topic: Redistribution of Wealth  (Read 5460 times)

jemagee

Re: Redistribution of Wealth
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2008, 01:44:01 PM »
I have this theory that there is ALWAYS a portion of the 101 under construction.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2008, 01:45:32 PM »
We pay more for gas not just because the dollar is worth less but because there is a tax on all gas sales to help improve our roads.  Regardless if the dollar is strong, weak, regular, or whatever.  There is an added tax onto a gallon of gas to improve roads.  That is taking money I work for and re-distributing it for the common good of the California residents.  Which comes back to my point I made earlier.  You know the one that did not require a PHD to make.

FYI WK,

The gas tax dollars are NOT going to the roads.  Those dollars are being "redistriibuted" to other gov programs.  The company I work for counts on gov money for roads to do buisness and that money hasn't been there for YEARS.

Maybe some of it is.  Not all of it can be.  We do a lot of work with state's department of transportation and they seem to have money for projects.

Plus that was the big argument in the summer between McCain and Obama when they were discussing that 'gas tax free' weekend for the American people.  They said that tons of cash would be lost and roads would not get improved all over the country.  Are you saying that was hog wash?

To a certain degree it is.  Road/bridge/highway improvement projects are usually funded through bonds over several years.  Often the bonds are sold before the bidding process starts.  Actual time from bidding to completion can take several years.  Most states uses "gas taxes" to 1) fund their DOT administration, 2) pay for repairs and 3)make payments on the bonds.  Both of the first two items generally fall under the state's "general fund".  In Texas the big argument is that expenditures for roads from the general fund don't match the tax revenues going in.  My guess is that this is true in most states.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008, 03:01:01 PM »
Maybe some of it is.  Not all of it can be.  We do a lot of work with state's department of transportation and they seem to have money for projects.

Plus that was the big argument in the summer between McCain and Obama when they were discussing that 'gas tax free' weekend for the American people.  They said that tons of cash would be lost and roads would not get improved all over the country.  Are you saying that was hog wash?

I'm talking BILLIONS are being sent to other programs.  There are "propositions" to guarentee that those funds will be repaid but even those are not executed after they are approved.  So the money is already GONE, we are voting for it to be put back but even that has failed.  We are constantly asked to vote on those measures and asked to write our congress people to use those funds for what they are intended.  Since construction is down our industry is counting on gov highway projects and they are not happening cause the money was spent elsewhere.

In short, yes...hog wash.....
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jemagee

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 08:11:38 PM »
So - california government experts - please to explain this?

http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-me-schooltech26-2008oct26,0,2201880.story