Author Topic: OT: JoMal you have some 'splanin to do  (Read 3297 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT: JoMal you have some 'splanin to do
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 05:02:36 PM »
42nd in the nation?  So they're getting better, right?

From what I just read there seems to be an unwritten implication that Schwarzenegger bears no blame in this situation but I must admit from the little I do pay attention to - compromise doesn't seem to be a word in his lexicon.

Actually, compromise is what Schwartzenegger strives to get, but it often comes across or sounds like, "or else...".

The real problem is term limits. The legislators simply do not have time to devote to common themes, like passing the budget, when all they can do is try to force through their own pork barrel pet projects in their own districts before leaving office. Another brilliant state proposition that absolutely had no vetting through any legal ramifications prior to placing it on the ballet. This is why the proposition system is holding the state budget process hostage.

As one man once said - we do have term limits - they are called elections - i'm not sure why we need additional term limits - it's like protecting the voting populus from their own laziness and inability to distinguish between who is good and bad...

Oh like that matters we don't even punish politicians in this country......
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 05:04:41 PM »
Plus, every proposition the good voters of the State pass that costs money comes right out of the General Fund and is taken away from everything else, so when you vote, consider THAT before thinking, "yeah, more money for schools would be a good thing - look how throwing money at the students has worked out (42nd in the nation in educational achievement) up to now."

Holy Cow! JoMal, you almost sound like a fiscal conservative there. And it seems like you almost approve of Arnold. Is this possible?

Though I thought at the time it was just a "pretty boy, let's vote another actor as governor" move by the voters in California, Schwartzenegger has proved to be more of an independent rather then a hard-line Republican and never hesitates to challenges his own party against its opionions, such as the sales tax issue. In doing so, yeah, I think he has done as good a job as possible under the circumstances, and my fiscal conservatism has grown from the idiocy of the legislators on both sides of the isle since they have done their part in spending our state into near bankrupcy.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jemagee

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 05:05:20 PM »
Oh, I know that...i just find term limits asinine...it's like a salary cap in professional sports, which only protects the owners from their own stupidity...term limits protect the voters from their own stupidity and lack of awareness....

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 05:09:26 PM »
wait wait so another 1 billion was added between yesterday and today?  I heard 2 to 4 YESTERDAY.  Jesus...

And you know what.  I am )@#*ing sick of people complaining about cutting money going to schools so they can reduce class room size.  The teachers and school boards out here are greedy.  Seriously the schools have not improved in the last 20 years.  Why haven't we tried to address the school issue another way then pumping money into the system like we have.  There really has been no results yet every year we spend more and more.

It goes back to HOW the money is being spent by the schools, as well as the Department of Education itself. I have to go over to their office building on occasion. Their facilities are beyond anything a state office should have, and we at Finance barely get heat in the winter and air conditioning in the summer. All of our equipment, such as computers, are hand-me-downs from other departments that have upgraded.

Did I mention I was at the Department of Finance, who supposedly leads by example during budget crises? So we get less then we should?

But hand-me-downs from other departments?   
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 05:12:59 PM »
42nd in the nation?  So they're getting better, right?

From what I just read there seems to be an unwritten implication that Schwarzenegger bears no blame in this situation but I must admit from the little I do pay attention to - compromise doesn't seem to be a word in his lexicon.

Actually, compromise is what Schwartzenegger strives to get, but it often comes across or sounds like, "or else...".

The real problem is term limits. The legislators simply do not have time to devote to common themes, like passing the budget, when all they can do is try to force through their own pork barrel pet projects in their own districts before leaving office. Another brilliant state proposition that absolutely had no vetting through any legal ramifications prior to placing it on the ballet. This is why the proposition system is holding the state budget process hostage.

As one man once said - we do have term limits - they are called elections - i'm not sure why we need additional term limits - it's like protecting the voting populus from their own laziness and inability to distinguish between who is good and bad...

Frankly, that is as good a reason as any because term limits has caused nothing but grief each time the budget has to be signed every year because the legislators simply do not care if they are working on their own budget items that they have to rush through. They often use the budget as blackmail in getting their own issues passed, like "Well, I might consider coming in and voting on the budget if you support my proposal to build a statue to the PIG GOD here Lindsey."

jemagee

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 05:15:31 PM »
Wait

There's no statue to the Pig God?

I'm infuriated - who do i see about this

I AM  ZIM

----
I'd be fired if that were my job
after killing jason off and countless screaming argonauts