Author Topic: Team USA wins the GOLD!  (Read 1502 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Team USA wins the GOLD!
« on: August 24, 2008, 03:24:25 AM »
I'm glad the Kobe I remember finally showed up.  Clutch Kobe and bad shot Kobe but overall he was the closer!

Congrats Team USA!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Team USA wins the GOLD!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 04:02:40 AM »
Phenomenal game.  That was a treat to watch.  Both teams played a very high level of basketball.   Glad to see Team USA back where they should be at the top of the basketball world.  I'd love to go into more detail but it 2 am and they are just getting their medals.

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 10:43:59 AM »
I'm glad the Kobe I remember finally showed up.  Clutch Kobe and bad shot Kobe but overall he was the closer!

Congrats Team USA!
Kobsters D several times in that last stretch was great.  I thought he got burned on the calls a couple times.  The block from behind.  He also altered a couple shots but lame US teamates failed to get rebound.

Great team ball by both sides?  Pssssh.  I thought the USs teamball sucked bad in the 4th.  The slightest passing scheme by Spain gave Spain gimme/wide open shots and on O as you already alluded to WoW, bad shots by not only Kobe but several of them, including jackass MarshMello.  To me many of the US players could burn Spain off the dribble should they choose to (most certainly Paul, Kobe, Lebron and DWade (who did) but they kept settling for stall and chuck jumpers.  Poise-wise they looked and acted like a bunch of nervous teenagers, when they did score the US bench hopped up and down like it was Pazakastan in its 1st ever Olys.  Kobester kept his cool  on O in the final minutes.  Very unimpressed with Coach K unless the prima donnas just tuned him out.

Bottom line they pulled it together enough to win and did play very impressive team ball in small stretches in the 4th.  Final score not idicative due to the technical ft parade.  Wasn't it like 101-99 at one point?  << no i was thinking of 91-89.  I watched the end of the third and the entire 4th.

That was a close call!

What Spain guy did the running one handed finish jam over DHoward?  That was nice!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 10:54:58 AM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 12:12:37 PM »

Congrats Team USA!
Kobsters D several times in that last stretch was great.  I thought he got burned on the calls a couple times.  The block from behind.  He also altered a couple shots but lame US teamates failed to get rebound.

Great team ball by both sides?  Pssssh.  I thought the USs teamball sucked bad in the 4th.  The slightest passing scheme by Spain gave Spain gimme/wide open shots and on O as you already alluded to WoW, bad shots by not only Kobe but several of them, including jackass MarshMello.  To me many of the US players could burn Spain off the dribble should they choose to (most certainly Paul, Kobe, Lebron and DWade (who did) but they kept settling for stall and chuck jumpers.  Poise-wise they looked and acted like a bunch of nervous teenagers, when they did score the US bench hopped up and down like it was Pazakastan in its 1st ever Olys.  Kobester kept his cool  on O in the final minutes.  Very unimpressed with Coach K unless the prima donnas just tuned him out.

Bottom line they pulled it together enough to win and did play very impressive team ball in small stretches in the 4th.  Final score not idicative due to the technical ft parade.  Wasn't it like 101-99 at one point?  << no i was thinking of 91-89.  I watched the end of the third and the entire 4th.

That was a close call!

What Spain guy did the running one handed finish jam over DHoward?  That was nice!

I was a bit confused on why they let the zone just toss them out of what they were doing completely.  As soon as they started with that zone in the middle of the 3rd it's like Team USA lost their brain.  Aside from Wade, Kobe, and Deron I didn't see too many people attack.    I was also disappointed  that they did not try to post up Bosh or Dwight Howard more in that stretch.  Both of them had baskets in the paint when they did get to actually touch the ball close to the rim.   Little bit of inside out would have done them good. 

I don't want to see Melo shoot jumpers anymore.  I don't want to see him do it for Team USA.  I don't want to see him do it in the playoffs when he has someone he could take off the dribble at will every play.  It makes me a bit angry to see a guy who is strong and fast at 6'10 just settling for jumpers.   Besides if anyone should be outside hucking shots like that they might as well have pulled Michael Redd off the bench.

The spanish guy who dunked over D Howard actually should have been called for clearing out with his off arm.  He would have not made the dunk as it would have been swatted.   Irrelevant at this point....
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 02:32:52 PM by westkoast »

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 08:34:10 AM »
Greetings from the West Yellowstone KOA.
Rudy Fernandez, soon to be Portland Trailblazer.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 12:36:46 AM »

What did you guys think of Nocionis' play vs US?  While injured.
Think he could contribute to a lot of contending teams?  I do.  Spurs were flirting with him a few years ago.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 10:09:47 AM »

What did you guys think of Nocionis' play vs US?  While injured.
Think he could contribute to a lot of contending teams?  I do.  Spurs were flirting with him a few years ago.

That's more defense then he played when he was with the Bulls at the begging of last season!

I look at him as a poor man's Brad Miller with out the passing skills......

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 10:50:38 AM »
What????

Was there something going on in a summer league somewhere that I missed?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 08:12:14 PM »
Rudy Fernandez leaves Olympic impression on Blazers coach
Posted by Jason Quick, The Oregonian August 28, 2008 17:14PM
Categories: Olympics

Back home from the Olympics, where he was an assistant coach for Team USA, Trail Blazers coach Nate McMillan on Thursday could finally reveal the two-week struggle he endured in Beijing.

There were sleepless nights. A self-imposed muzzle on his emotions. And the uneasiness of choosing an allegiance.

All because of Rudy Fernandez.

The high-energy shooting guard for Spain, who will join the Blazers this month, excelled during the Olympics, which included a team-high 22 points in the gold medal loss to the Ameicans. And after getting a front-row view for many of Spain's games, McMillan said Fernandez, 23, is so talented that he will "definitely" play, and play a lot, for the Blazers.

"I'm sitting there (in the gold medal game) with a straight face, trying not to smile," McMillan said. " (Spain) are the guys we have to beat, but I'm caught. That's my player and I want to (he claps his hands twice) but I gotta (he makes a serious face) because we are going up against him."

McMillan said that early in the Olympics, after watching Spain's second game, he had a fitful night of sleep.

"I was so impressed with him that it was to the point where after the second time I saw him, I didn't sleep that night because I was moving my rotations around," McMillan said. "I swear I did not sleep. I could not sleep thinking about him. Because I'm saying, 'We can put him here, do this with him, do that with him and Brandon (Roy), and do this... So he's playing for us. Oh yeah. I see that right now."

A 6-foot-5 player who never stops moving, Fernandez averaged 13.1 points, 3.5 rebounds and 2.1 assists while shooting 47 percent from the field at the Olympics, all while opening the eyes of NBA players and coaches. McMillan said he and fellow Team USA assistant Mike D'Antoni, the coach of the New York Knicks, engaged in a back-and-forth banter during one of Fernandez's games.

"Every time Rudy did something, D'Antoni would look at me and say, 'Your player, huh?' " McMillan said. "And I would be, 'Yeah, he's cool.' Like no big deal.

"Then he does something else, and D'Antoni would be like 'Dang! Pretty good, huh?'

"Yeah, he's alright," McMillan said he told him. "He's okay. Still has to work on going to his left."

"But then he kept doing stuff," McMillan said, in an amazed tone. "Then all of a sudden he catches a lob, then he steals it and is swinging on the rim, and it's like ... dang. Over there, you talk about the U.S. basketball team, and Rudy is the next thing you talk about. It was Team USA. Rudy. And he played to earn that."

McMillan said he envisions Fernandez playing in the second unit with Jerryd Bayless and Travis Outlaw, with the scoring focus centered on Outlaw and Fernandez. He also guaranteed Fernandez and Roy will play together, most likely with Roy as point and Fernandez at shooting guard, but he also didn't rule out Roy playing small forward alongside Fernandez at shooting guard.

"I feel like I can coach him, and I feel I can help him become better, and I feel he can help us," McMillan said. "But how does he fit in? That's going to be the whole thing with our guys this year ... there are going to be different roles. He was the man in Spain, where he touched the ball every possession and the offense ran through him. That changes a bit here. We are still going to have to run some stuff for you, but you are probably not going to get as many touches as you did in Spain."

McMillan said he doesn't think fewer touches will be a problem for Fernandez because he is adept at scoring without the ball with offensive rebounds, fast breaks and hustling for loose balls.

"If I could say one thing about him, it's that he is fearless," McMillan said. "He's not afraid to make a play, which is great when you are talking about playing in the NBA. You've got to have heart; you can't be afraid. And he is not."
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 11:17:18 PM »
There's no doubt that dunk was sick. It just ain't fair.  :-\
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton