Author Topic: Josh Smith Signs offer Sheet with Grizz  (Read 6640 times)

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Josh Smith Signs offer Sheet with Grizz
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 01:59:36 PM »
If the Hawks don't match, then the market it completely dry for Iguodala.
Outside of a sign-and-trade, the market for Iguodala is dry whether they match or not, IMO. The Grizzlies have their 2G and SF of the future.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 02:07:05 PM »
Speaking of which... what's the deal with that team? Better late than never or do they have assurances the Hawks will match this contract?

Actually it a a very reasonably priced deal for a position where they have some need.  The Griz either get a guy that most people thought would command a significantly higher salary or they get to tell their fans that they had their guy but he simply got away.  It makes no sense that they would have a deal with Atlanta to match, it would have been much easier for Atlanta to sign him directly if that was the case.  At this level of contract they either get a relative bargain or get some nice PR and likely get some friendly help from Smith's agent in the future.

jemagee

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 03:38:33 PM »
Chad Ford

Chad Ford: I know Iguodala wants more than those guys. Most of the NBA GMs I spoke with think he's worth more than Deng, Biedrins, Okafor and Ellis ... but not quite that much more. Something in the $12 to $13 million a year range. I think this one will get done. The Sixers offer is already very rich ... at the end of the day, I don't see Iguodala leaving all that money on the table for a second straight year.

Chad Ford: It's more complicated with Smith. He has as much or more upside than all of the people you mentioned. He also has a rep as a difficult player to coach and somewhat of a locker room cancer. Those are the type of players that teams get spooked at offering a huge contract to (see Zach Randolph). I think there was a reason teams with cap room like the Sixers and Clippers ultimately decided not to make Smith an offer. He too could end up on the one year qualifying offer. I think he'd prefer to play somewhere else ... especially if the Hawks won't pay what he's asking.

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 04:19:04 PM »
Its sort of amuzing to see Memphis and Atl playing brinksmanship with $'s.  Its sort of like Cheap and Cheaper.

Maybe they should meet at the earlybird and work it out, or they can split something off the dollar menu.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 10:13:16 PM »
And the Hawks quickly match the offer sheet and retain Smith.  Little chance they would let him go based on this offer and nothaving to pay Childress this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3525609

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 11:33:13 PM »
Well... the Hawks did the right thing and managed to at least keep this off-season to only semi-embarrassing. With Smith now done, that leaves only two major RFAs left.

I don't think this contract helps the Iguodala situation get resolved any sooner. If anything, I'm sure Ed will continue to point to what the market is paying and therefore not give into Iguodala's demands of 5 years/$70MIL. I could see this situation going on all the way up until training camp with both sides trying to call the other's bluff.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 11:45:16 PM »
Smith's agent, Wallace Prowther, has only one other semi-prominent NBA client - Javaris Crittenton of the Memphis Grizzlies.  Hmmm.

Offline bebopdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2008, 12:31:27 AM »
This feels like it is going to 6/75...a number that I was initially uncomfortable with, but in the context of 5/70, it is a little more palatable...higher than Deng...roughly the same as Smith's deal with the 6th year added...

I hope that this is over soon.

Offline carolina blue

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2008, 12:57:04 PM »
Wow, this seems like a bad deal for Smith.

As a guy who has already had issues with that organization, I don't see this playing out well once all the dust settles and every report has him being the "best deal of the summer"

He won't finish this contract in ATL (IMO).