Author Topic: Josh Smith Signs offer Sheet with Grizz  (Read 6716 times)

Offline tk76-

• 2Y1- Sixer's 'Logo'
    • View Profile
Josh Smith Signs offer Sheet with Grizz
« on: August 08, 2008, 10:05:40 AM »
The Memphis Grizzlies have signed restricted Atlanta free agent Josh Smith to a $58 million offer sheet, the Memphis Commercial-Appeal is reporting.

The Hawks now have seven days to match or let Smith walk, but have said in the past they'll match any offer the high flyer may get from rival teams.

Should the Griz land Smith he is expected to play power forward alongside Rudy Gay at small forward, O.J. Mayo at shooting guard and Mike Conley at point guard.

Via Memphis Commercial Appeal

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Josh Smith Signs offer Sheet with Grizz
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
woah.

How many years?

That's a tiny offer sheet.

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 10:22:09 AM »
woah.

How many years?

That's a tiny offer sheet.

Is 5 years the max for another team's free-agent? I'm guessing 5, possibly 4 years.

Actually, I guess 4 years would be more likely considering his restricted status and trying to get the Hawks not to match.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 10:25:59 AM »
5 years is the max for a team that doesn't have bird rights.
4/58 would be close the the max (the max for a 4 year deal is about 61.6 million).  5 years, 58 million deal only starts at 10 million, which would be much less than I was expecting.  I'm not sure what I'm more shocked about, the fact that the Grizz actually made a move, or that Smith accepted a deal starting at only 10 million.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 10:31:09 AM »
The Griz and the Hawks, incompetence in action.

On a 4 year deal the max they could pay is around $61 million, so their offer would be close to the max, with his average salary about $14.5 million.

On a 5 year deal the max would be around $78 million, and his average salary would be just over $11 million.

That 5 year deal would seem low, but Smith is probably not looking to sign the QO since his is so low as a number 17 pick in the draft.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 10:37:25 AM »
The Hawks would really be screwed if they don't match.  Even losing Smith they would not have enough cap room to make a real run at Gordon or Iggy.  They could have about $6 million in cap space if they lose Smith and renounce Childress, otherwise they have the MLE and that's it.  Sounds like a PR move by Memphis so they can tell their fans they tried.

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 10:41:41 AM »
If that is somehow a 5 year offer, than there's no way in hell Iguodala is worth 5 years/$70MIL.

jemagee

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 11:30:46 AM »
If that is somehow a 5 year offer, than there's no way in hell Iguodala is worth 5 years/$70MIL.

I don't see how the grizzlies being stupid (who knows maybe they even worked out a deal with smiths agent to get the hawks to match a deal) has anything to do with Iguodala's contract at all, as far as i'm concerned the two aren't related, except in the case where on is looking for any reason to decrease Iguodalas actual worth

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 11:49:48 AM »
If the Hawks don't match, that leaves Iguodala with exactly one bargaining chip on his side which is to sign the QO. Meanwhile, the Sixers can play hardball and call his bluff rather than give in. I think that's exactly what Stefanski is doing since there aren't any reports of progress being made in the negotiations.

jemagee

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 12:32:52 PM »
If the Hawks don't match, that leaves Iguodala with exactly one bargaining chip on his side which is to sign the QO. Meanwhile, the Sixers can play hardball and call his bluff rather than give in. I think that's exactly what Stefanski is doing since there aren't any reports of progress being made in the negotiations.

That's really not the same as saying "there's no way in hell he's worth" such and such a dollar.

I don't personally think this changes anythin one iota, the grizz didn't offer a huge deal to smith so wouldn't have offered to iguodala.  Iguodala will get what he considers a fair offer from the sixers or he'll sign the QO...I don't believe this changes things at all

Offline Sub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 12:46:43 PM »
If the Hawks don't match, that leaves Iguodala with exactly one bargaining chip on his side which is to sign the QO.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how does the Hawks decision affect Iguodala?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 01:01:50 PM »
I don't personally think this changes anythin one iota, the grizz didn't offer a huge deal to smith so wouldn't have offered to iguodala.  Iguodala will get what he considers a fair offer from the sixers or he'll sign the QO...I don't believe this changes things at all

Haven't you been arguing that "worth" is defined by what the market is willing to bear?

If so, I don't see how the Grizz/Hawks decisions on a similarly talented player (the Grizz setting what they believe is Josh Smith's "worth", and the Hawks deciding if they think he's "worth" that or not) doesn't at least have a small effect on Iguodala's relative worth.

Offline Skates

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 01:08:53 PM »
Apparently it is a 5 year offer as per ESPN quoting the AJC.  I can't believe the Hawks will let him go for that amount.  This looks like a wink and nod deal between the agent for Smith and the Griz.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3525609

Offline TheGuiltyParty

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 01:36:36 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but how does the Hawks decision affect Iguodala?

If the Hawks don't match, then the market it completely dry for Iguodala. The choices for him will be down to the QO or take the Sixers' deal. It was extremely unlikely the Grizz were going to go after Iguodala but then again, there were rumblings about the Grizz having interest a month and half ago and that was when no one thought the Grizz would use their money.

Speaking of which... what's the deal with that team? Better late than never or do they have assurances the Hawks will match this contract?

Offline sixers hoops

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 01:47:01 PM »
Apparently it is a 5 year offer as per ESPN quoting the AJC.  I can't believe the Hawks will let him go for that amount.  This looks like a wink and nod deal between the agent for Smith and the Griz.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3525609

As Dabods said- 4 years at 58 million is a nice offer. However, 5 years at 58 million should be a no-brainer for the Hawks to match. We'll see.