Who wins the Finals and when?

Celtics in 6
6 (75%)
Celtics in 7
0 (0%)
Lakers in 7
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Poll: Finals outcome  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Poll: Finals outcome
« on: June 16, 2008, 10:19:01 AM »
 :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Poll: Finals outcome
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 10:28:13 AM »
I thought the Spurs already won it?

;D
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 04:22:19 PM »
With my vote it reads 6 votes for the Celtics in 6 with no other selections made.

It's no secret the Celtics are better.  It's also no secret that they are a bit injured and hobbled, and the Lakers are close enough in ability that this can make a difference in a game.  Add to that the NBA wanting at least a 6 game series and Boston wanting to win the series at home, and I expected LA to win last night.

Still the Lakers had to go out and play, and it wasn't like Boston just gave up.  Kobe still had to make a great play last night at the end, pushing the ball out of Pierce's hands to ensure the victory.  Odom had a much better game last night then any other game so far in this series.

Meanwhile, the sports fans in Southern Cal are so lucky to have an NBA finals and the US Open going on over the weekend.  Too bad if you aren't a golf fan since this Extra-Round playoff and a sudden-death hole made this one of the best US Opens ever.  Congrats to S. Cal native Tiger Woods, and also to PA native Rocco Mediate who gave Tiger the best battle I can recall, staying with him and even pressing him over today's 18.  At one point he made 3 birdies in a row, to move into a 1-shot lead, which he held going into the final hole.  But Tiger was able to make up the shot by making a birdie on 18 to stay alive for one more hole, which was all he needed.

I am a Tiger fan, but would have been just as happy if Rocco had won.  He's more of a journeyman player, but he looked good in the spotlight.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 10:45:53 AM »
Someone please let msc know not all NBA playoff games and series are fixed.
Who is the other voter who went Laker?

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 01:10:32 PM »
I thought the Lakers would win in 7 and voted as such.  I picked them to win before the playoffs started and didn't change my mind.  I thought they played a pedestrian Game 5 and it was good enough to win the game, so if they had given even half an effort in Game 6 they might pull it off.  They would have shifted tons of pressure on Boston in Game 7 and who knows what would have happened. 

Boston did a hell of a job fully demonstrating the error in my thinking.   
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 01:20:41 PM »
You were not alone. All the TV 'pundits' picked the Lakers, usually in six games, mainly because none of them gave Rivers any kudos going up against Phil Jackson. Garnett was also talked about as a guy who would look like a deer-in-the-headlights player once the finals began. Plus, Pierce was overrated and Allen was notorious for getting scared when going up against a tough defense, while MVP Bryant had 'learned' to be a leader and was getting his young, Laker teammates involved in his game. 

Where else can you get a job where you can be wrong all the time and still come off sounding like no one else knows anything?

Oh, right - politics.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 04:00:18 PM »
^^ was scrolling today and came accross this Bill Simmons novel.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080530

Unreal.