Author Topic: Will Bynum be as effective comming off the bench?  (Read 2176 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Will Bynum be as effective comming off the bench?
« on: March 26, 2008, 09:10:53 AM »
The line about Bynum comming off the bench seems to come from the author but he sort of attributes it to PJ.  Bynum had his best games as a starter, not sure how he will react/adjust to comming off the bench.  IMO Bynum is better suited as a starter being the 3rd option behind Kobe and Odom.  Gasol would be perfect as the focal point of the offense with the second unit, especially when Kobe is on the bench.  Then again as starting lineup of Fisher/Kobe/Odom/Pau/Bynum would be the best in the league and a great combo of size and speed, the key being Odom's combo of size/speed/skill.

http://www.dailynews.com/lakers/ci_8674292

Lakers' rehabs are center of attention
By Elliott Teaford, Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 03/24/2008 03:33:50 AM PDT

Pau Gasol might be ready to practice later this week.

Chris Mihm hopes to join him.

Andrew Bynum's return might take another two to three weeks, but the Lakers could have two of their three 7-foot centers sound enough to practice by the end of the week. And that's a significant improvement over recent days and nights.

Gasol has been sidelined since spraining his right ankle March 14.

He sat out Sunday's home game against the Golden State Warriors and probably won't make the trip for the rematch tonight in Oakland.

Mihm last played Dec. 23, but hopes he's cleared his final hurdle.

He had a screw from an earlier surgery removed last month and has been moving without the debilitating pain that forced him to the sidelines.

Bynum continues his rehabilitation work, but there's no firm date for his return to the practice court. He injured his left kneecap Jan. 13.

It's possible he could return to the active roster before the playoffs start April 19.

Ronny Turiaf made his fifth consecutive start in place of Gasol on Sunday. Turiaf scored 10 or more points in three of his previous four starts. He also had six assists in victories Thursday over Utah and Friday over Seattle.

"Ronny has played really well for us in a supporting role," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "His activity is good. We've been fortunate. Ronny has been able to get through most of this pretty well."

Turiaf is likely to return to a reserve role once Gasol is fit to play, which Jackson said would be next week at the latest. "We're hoping he'll be back on the floor this week, Tuesday maybe or Thursday, hopefully," Jackson said. "I'm not going to say one game or the other right now. It's just a matter of ... how much he can endure."

Gasol probably will remain the starting center when Bynum is ready to play again, although Jackson said he plans to play them together at times.

More on Mihm

Mihm admitted he returned to the court faster than he would have preferred during the offseason. He underwent two ankle surgeries that sidelined him for all of last season and pushed too hard because he was a free agent and needed a place to play. He played in pain until Dec. 23, when he finally took a seat. Now, after having a surgical screw removed, he's hopeful he can play pain-free. "There's been so many steps along the way where I've been optimistic," Mihm said. "Hopefully, this is the last hurdle and I'll just push myself to get back in shape and get some explosion back in my legs and be able to help this team out whatever way I can here at the end of the season and in the playoffs."

Ariza update

Trevor Ariza has been working out on an elliptical exercise machine, but said he hasn't tried to run yet on the Lakers' new $75,000 treadmill, which simulates low gravity conditions. Ariza has been out since breaking his right foot Jan. 17.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Will Bynum be as effective comming off the bench?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 09:16:47 AM »
Coming off an injury?  Yeah he is going to be more effective coming off the bench because he is going to play less minutes.  It will also allow him to adjust to the game a bit better rather then having to go full speed from the very tip.  When Kwame was starting Bynum still contributed from the bench.  When he started his minutes also increased which is why stats rose compared to when he came off the bench so...ya I think he's fine coming off the bench.  I don't think you bring Pau Gasol off the bench as the 6th man.  I think you play him at the 4 and Bynum at the 5.  Not only do you get mismatches at the 4 and 5 depending on who you play but you have a mismatch just about every night with Odom playing the 3.  There is no 3 in the league that matches up size and/or speed wise with Lamar Odom.

Ariza I am actually more worried about.  I hope that his injury did not slow him down because he disrupts passing lanes very well.

Mihm? Bleh who cares.  He's the white Dj Mbenga.  You cringe when you see him in and hope he doesn't try to do anything other then grab a rebound. 

(oh btw Mr. Grammar/Spelling police , I believe its COMING not COMMING)
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 09:57:36 AM »

::)

Since you are using it as a name, it should be Police not police.  Nice try Mr. Play Skool!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 10:04:51 AM »

Since you are using it as a name, it should be Police not police.  Nice try Mr. Play Skool!

PlaySkool is one word  :D

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 10:09:36 AM »

PlaySkool is one word  :D

I wanted a capitol S so I had to break it up into two words so I wouldn't look STUPID by typing it PlaySkool.  :D
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 10:13:39 AM »
Btw I wonder what his stamina is like now.  He was finally starting to get into starting center / full time playing shape right before he went down.  If his stamina is where it was at, at the begging of the year then he will have no choice to come off the bench.  He was blowing major air after playing 20-22 minutes at the start of the season.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 01:44:25 PM »
It is spelled beginning, not begging, 'Koast, this little spelling faux paux is almost as irritating as when you type "all the sudden" instead of "all OF A sudden", but alas! methinks I spit into a hurricane when I point such things out, so I suppose I will just sit here and stew at the deplorable state of today's youth's education. You or WOW correcting anyone's grammar or spelling as has become your wont of late, would actually be quite amusing were it not for it being a microcosm of the aforementioned educational system.
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 02:03:22 PM »
It is spelled beginning, not begging, 'Koast, this little spelling faux paux is almost as irritating as when you type "all the sudden" instead of "all OF A sudden", but alas! methinks I spit into a hurricane when I point such things out, so I suppose I will just sit here and stew at the deplorable state of today's youth's education. You or WOW correcting anyone's grammar or spelling as has become your wont of late, would actually be quite amusing were it not for it being a microcosm of the aforementioned educational system.

I've long been out of school so maybe you shouldn't focus your skills on me.  There are plenty of young guys that actually do need your help.  If you didn't get a chance to see in the other bandwagon thread I talked about how grammar has been moved away from in the english classes for YEARS now.  The fact that casual email, texting, myspace, message boards, and instant messaging don't require proper spelling or grammar teamed up with what I just mentioned is why it seems as if things are getting worse.

This however is not my excuse.  I have always been bad at it and don't care about it at all really.  That is why I put in such little effort. 

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 02:06:35 PM »

Sorry, LF, but on this board, it is not "faux paux", but "four play". and you never spit into a hurricane, you PEE into a hurricane, and it is not "your wont of late", but "you won't of late". and as for "today's youth's education"? I don't know where to begin??
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 02:07:31 PM »

I've long been out of school so maybe you shouldn't focus your skills on me.  There are plenty of young guys that actually do need your help.  If you didn't get a chance to see in the other bandwagon thread I talked about how grammar has been moved away from in the english classes for YEARS now.  The fact that casual email, texting, myspace, message boards, and instant messaging don't require proper spelling or grammar teamed up with what I just mentioned is why it seems as if things are getting worse.

This however is not my excuse.  I have always been bad at it and don't care about it at all really.  That is why I put in such little effort. 

I am fully aware of these things 'Koast, just yanking your chain. Apparently JoMal's witty reparte' is not the only sarcasm you fail to grasp.
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 02:09:28 PM »

I am fully aware of these things 'Koast, just yanking your chain. Apparently JoMal's witty reparte' is not the only sarcasm you fail to grasp.

Nope I got it was sarcasm directed at me.  I was commenting on the real problem though.  I am a lost cause, we all know that.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 02:09:53 PM »

Sorry, LF, but on this board, it is not "faux paux", but "four play". and you never spit into a hurricane, you PEE into a hurricane, and it is not "your wont of late", but "you won't of late". and as for "today's youth's education"? I don't know where to begin??

Now THAT was funny!! Wait, you WERE being sarcastic weren't you?  ;D
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 02:37:50 PM »

No, Dan, I was being acerbic.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 02:44:51 PM »

No, Dan, I was being acerbic.

Yes, yes you were, my bad for not properly differentiating between the two.
Dan