Author Topic: Pops not drinking the Gasol trade swill b.s.  (Read 6466 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Pops not drinking the Gasol trade swill b.s.
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2008, 05:47:00 PM »
I just think we are all better off knowing exactly what name we are being insulted by, that's all. Don't you think it is just darned thoughtful of me to give you all these options on how you were insulted, WOW.

Gawd! You'd think I dropped trough and fired off a rocket to dot my eyes on this message board.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Pops not drinking the Gasol trade swill b.s.
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2008, 05:49:20 PM »
Oh contrar my dear JoMal

From the webbible website:
Nimrod:
First, what does the name Nimrod mean? It comes from the Hebrew verb marad, meaning "rebel." Adding an "n" before the "m" it becomes an infinitive construct, "Nimrod." (see Kautzsch 1910: 137 2b, also BDB 1962: 597). The meaning then is "The Rebel." Thus "Nimrod" may not be the character's name at all. It is more likely a derisive term of a type, a representative, of a system that is epitomized in rebellion against the Creator, the one true God. Rebellion began soon after the Flood as civilizations were restored. At that time this person became very prominent.

From The American Heritage Dictionary:
Nimrod:
Either a hunter, or a person regarded as silly or foolish.

The term Nimrod has never carried a connotation other than an insult when used in this context, Rick knew what he meantwhen he said it, and WOW knew exactly how it was supposed to be taken and took it that way. Nice try though. Perhaps livivng in a city populated with such types you are a little defensive, yes?

Sorry, Dan, but YOU came up with the insulting definition; those in MY town may be Nimrods of the original designation, and honestly many here ARE good hunters, but hardly any appear to be of your "LA" type, where definitions are always being contorted to suit the current crisis-babies.

Having lived on board a boat called the Nimrod III for five days diving the Coral Sea last year, I do not find being called a Nimrod a bad thing, but since it seems to offend you, I will never think of calling YOU a Nimrod, such as it is. You certainly don't appear to have earned the title, anyway. 

From Wikipedia
Nimrod is an unincorporated community in Lane County, Oregon, United States, on the McKenzie River. It is located along Oregon State Route 126, between Vida and Blue River (no baseball fans, Vida Blue's middle name is not Nimrod).  Just to put that into perspective it is about 4-1/2 hours from Dufer, Oregon.

NNNNNoooooooooo. I don't think of WOW as being provincial. Rick, what do you think? Were you referring to WOW as a backward hick from Oregon?

And the proper insult in this case would be more like "WOW, you are being so Nimrody".
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."