Author Topic: Can/Should the Sixer make the playoffs?  (Read 2326 times)

Rickortreat

Can/Should the Sixer make the playoffs?
« on: March 27, 2004, 04:26:28 PM »
First off, I think they can, thanks to a weak schedule and that the young players are learning how to play.

Even without Iverson and Coleman, they've won games back to back with Thomas, Dalembert, Salmons and Snow playing great.

It's been a tough year for Sixer fans with very little to cheer about. Certainly a major dissapointment, and a big year for injuries.  But there's no-one in the draft that's worth throwing games for.  And, even though no-one expects anything, with Iverson, Coleman, Jackson and Robinson comming back, they may as well take a shot.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2004, 04:42:13 PM »
Irrelevant.  
Paul

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 07:28:54 PM »
I'd rather a top 10 pick than getting swept in the first round.  especially considering we only have 1st round picks in 3 of hte next 5 years.

i was thrilled when learning allen and robinson weren't out.  get the youth some experience and lose some games in the process.  unfortunately, green, salmons, kenny thomas and dalembert have been playing at a very high level.  Good for the future, but i'd like to lose a few games here.

that's what my head says.  however, watching the game, I can't root against them.  they're too fun to watch.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2004, 07:29:53 PM »
Irrelevant.

Sorry, we can only talk about the lakers, kings, spurs, mavs or politics.

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2004, 12:37:50 PM »
I'd rather a top 10 pick than getting swept in the first round.  especially considering we only have 1st round picks in 3 of hte next 5 years.

i was thrilled when learning allen and robinson weren't out.  get the youth some experience and lose some games in the process.  unfortunately, green, salmons, kenny thomas and dalembert have been playing at a very high level.  Good for the future, but i'd like to lose a few games here.

that's what my head says.  however, watching the game, I can't root against them.  they're too fun to watch.
I got a chance to watch a bit of the game the other day and I was very impressed with the young talent of the Sixers.  I really feel for the Sixers and the hole they have dug themselves with AI and Big Dog.  AI is such a catch-22 that it seems that the Sixers are stuck with him and I don't believe he is quite the centerpiece around which to build a team.  Big Dog is just a waste of contract -- sure, he can score but he will always be a cancer and he will always have potential that he will never live up to and defense that he never apply himself to.  I think that the Sixers have some exciting young players to build around -- but, IMO, building around AI is a mistake.  His FG% will always be low and his shot quantity will always be high -- it's tough to win like that unless you can guarantee you will rebound better than the other team.

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2004, 08:05:54 PM »
Irrelevant.

:lol:  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2004, 09:39:20 AM »
Irrelevant.

Perhaps we should remove the Mavs and Kings from that list. :D  
Paul

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2004, 09:43:01 AM »
Can the Sixers make the playoffs....yes, even with the loss to Boston yesterday.  The bottom couple seeds in the East are still wide open.  However, the true question should be do the Sixers want to make the playoffs.  In this regards I think the Sixers would be better off missing the playoffs.

Making the playoffs will mean a first round exit to either Indiana or NJ.  It will mean the #14 draft pick.  It will mean very little except 2 additional home games.

Missing the playoffs would mean no worse that the 10th pick....there are 3 teams in the west that will end up with better records.  Possibly even a top 3 lottery pick.  And while there are no franchise players in this draft Philly could add a solid role player that can contribute.  Along with continued improvements from thier young players this could mean more to the Sixers than a couple home playoff games.

So IMO Philly fans need to hope that the Sixers just don't have enough to make the playoffs.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2004, 10:15:19 AM »
I don't know Lurker, I was up for a 3am baby feeding last night, so I clicked on ESPN, and the Philly/Boston game was on. It's been a LONG TIME since I've seen a team play as CRAPPY as Philly did last night. Dude, it was late into the 3rd quarter, and Philly still had only managed 28 points. I was like WTF??
Paul

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2004, 09:07:51 PM »
The Sixers won't make the playoffs...and shouldn't. They have games where they rally, but overall, they are too inexperienced and too injured to make much noise. There needs to be some real retooling of this squad for next season. I'm not sure if they have any first-round draft picks, but they need to be studying on how to best take advantage of the draft