Author Topic: Hello fellow Raider fans...  (Read 2322 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Hello fellow Raider fans...
« on: November 05, 2007, 04:28:01 PM »
....I know you all secretly are true Raider Nationites, just like me, so this is addressed to you all.

I was at the Houston/Oakland game yesterday. If you watched (for all of you Raider fans who live in Houston, anyway), I am sure you saw me, because I got seats on the fifty yard line, next to the tunnel, and beeswaxing with 'THE VIOLATOR', (and his significant other, 'THE VIOLATED'), 'SENOR', and 'SPIKE'. Our corner of the Oakland Coleseum gets filmed more often then Condoleza Rice's bowel movement testimonies in front of congressional committies. So recognizable are these three, that parents made a constant parade down to our little section to get their kids in a picture with one, two, or all three of them.

Nice guys all.

The Violator is loud, talkative, opinionated, and was immediately interested in why the hell I and my wife were occupying the seats of a regular "Nation" personage. Until I stood and yelled the foulest language I could muster on a full stomach at the Texans as they ran from the tunnel, I was clearly not welcome. He was the first to acknowledge my existance. He kept asking Raider field personnel if he and his pals could run out on the field and hit a Texan, "just one time". Then he promised they would return to their seats right after. The gate that all the field personnel used to get onto the field was right where 'The Violator' stands during every game, so he greets everyone coming and going and they all, of course, know him very well.

'Senor' was a troubled sort, who had the biggest beer mug I have ever seen, but sadly he can only drink caffeine and sugar free soda pop in it. He has ailments of some sort - bad back being one, he had to stand (right in front of me, with his big Silver and Black sombrero on) for the entire game - and never looked quite "right", like the light inside was on dim.

'Spike' is a character of a completely different type. Reknown for his scathing commentary directed at opponents, he would constantly yell out things, such as "You filthy Texas, like, really stink, man", and "Go back to Houston and, like barbeque your young", or "You, quarterback, whatever your name is, your gay". I was amazed at the plethora of original observations he could come up with. In between, he would loudly announce his parole officer didn't know he was at the Raider game. Then he would pose with the cutest little five year old blonde haired girl with Raider ribbons in her hair and wearing a "Real Women Wear Black", size 'tiny' t-shirt on. 'Spike' clearly skipped a grade or ten in his youth. He is now an IQ point looking for a partner.

All these guys had two things in comment. They had very supportive wifes/S.O.'s at their sides to help them, well, be themselves, and they all were on the diminutive side. WOW and Lurker, for two, can vouge that I am not all that small. But I was Lurch to their Gomez Addams. They weren't tiny, exactly, but none hit six foot.

Behind us all, was what would become of Joy (from "My Name Is Earl") in about fifteen years. She was the den mother of several lads who would look at home with the Hitler Youth, if they allowed Mohawks, shaved heads, and the usual piercings and tatoos into that fraternity. For some odd reason, these poster people for any "I hate Whitey" campaign got along famously with 'The Violator', (black), 'Senor' (Hispanic), and 'Spike' (abridged).

Mrs Violator, (the 'Violated) and hardtack motorcycle trailer trash momma were the best of friends, actually. Man, was she loud and in form, telling people near us who were trying to start "The Wave", that that s**t was for baseball, not football, and holding up signs to direct us peons to count out the first downs and point, after each and every (and rare) Raider first down. She would take many of the pictures of people and their kids who had the guts to venture down to where we were at field level, giving a hard finger whistle to make them stop moving and awing at the getups of the the three so she could take the snapshot.

No fights, though. These were no doubt going on elsewhere, but not where we were. After the game, many drunk accountants, lawyers, and other professional converge around the tunnel where we were grouped, to yell out the usual things about the ancestry of the Texan players, wave the sheared off heads of Houston player spouses who ventured into the stands by mistake, and in general thank them for a great game. At this point, one fellow was directed by our section manager (these seats require that you must always prove you have a seat there and this guy manages that and "disagreements" of any sort) to curb his language, because he was being a bit more discriptive in his post game indications of violence. The guy blew up and started to direct his venom at the section manager in full voice. No big deal, except he happened to be standing directly next to me in my aisle. His arm swinging and elbow etching of the air were getting a bit close. I finally squeezed in between him and the fellow he was mad at and held my ground, because he also was getting too close to my wife. He continued for a minute or two before moving off, still yelling at the guy, who just laughed at him the whole time.

Later, we took the train into San Francisco and had a few rounds at Lefty O'Douls, near Union Square. Met some nice people while there. Great place to sit and watch sports and meet people. O'Doul was an old-time ball player, so the place is a museum of pictures with Lefty and you-name-him from the Ruth era Yankees. Old style Hof Brau House.

The City is such a great place. Have to do this more often.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hello fellow Raider fans...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 12:53:32 PM »
LOL classic short story!  Double points for the My Name is Earl reference.

That train ride from Sac to San Fran must be very nice.  Beats driving up the 5 that is for sure.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 04:25:06 PM »

That train ride from Sac to San Fran must be very nice.  Beats driving up the 5 that is for sure.

Thanks.

Actually, we have to drive down to Pittsburg, where we park the car and take BART the rest of the way. BART drops you off right at the Coleseum, with a single train change. Then you can hop back on BART after the game and go into the City itself for dinner. A direct train takes us back to Pittsburg. We are just about 50 minutes from Pittsburg, so little driving, and the drive down there is along the Sacramento River and the Delta. Really nice. But the nice part is not having to deal with the car in the Bay Area.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 08:22:01 PM »

Thanks.

Actually, we have to drive down to Pittsburg, where we park the car and take BART the rest of the way. BART drops you off right at the Coleseum, with a single train change. Then you can hop back on BART after the game and go into the City itself for dinner. A direct train takes us back to Pittsburg. We are just about 50 minutes from Pittsburg, so little driving, and the drive down there is along the Sacramento River and the Delta. Really nice. But the nice part is not having to deal with the car in the Bay Area.

The BART is awesome.      I don't quite understand why every other area is able to have at least one solid way of public transportation except LA.  Any places to eat up there that you recommend?  All of my friends attend UC Berkley and since they act like its a bubble they can't get out of we hit the 'typical' spots in SF when we go.

As a fellow Raider fan I wanted to talk Raiders a bit but ya...the season looked promising from the start but back to where it's been for the past few years.  I don't think we will ever come back from the jobbing we got in the playoffs those years back.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 03:08:06 PM »

Thanks.

The BART is awesome.      I don't quite understand why every other area is able to have at least one solid way of public transportation except LA.  Any places to eat up there that you recommend?  All of my friends attend UC Berkley and since they act like its a bubble they can't get out of we hit the 'typical' spots in SF when we go.

As a fellow Raider fan I wanted to talk Raiders a bit but ya...the season looked promising from the start but back to where it's been for the past few years.  I don't think we will ever come back from the jobbing we got in the playoffs those years back.

Man, do I miss those years when the Raiders were full of characters AND played great football.

I met Henry Lawence, Howie Long, Cliff Branch, Ted Hendricks, John Matusak, Dave Casper, and Sean Jones when each was a Raider like no other. I could talk about what each was like and some of the stories they would tell about their teammates. These Raiders....it really isn't the same any longer.

I love San Francisco and where do I start about where to eat? For Italian, I highly recomment Franchino's, at 347 Columbus, which is about three doors up from that awful garlic restaurant called "The Stinking Rose". Franchino's is the real deal, specializing in Neopolitan style food, which is the spicier Italian and a great place to be seen. We ate Indonesian last Sunday at the Indonesian Restaurant on Post, near Union Square. Lefty O'Doul's in an old style Hof Brauhouse, and a good one, located at 333 Geary Street a half block from Union Square, but try to sit at the bar. John's Grill at 63 Ellis (again, two blocks south of Union Square) provides a bit of history. It was mentioned in the Maltese Falcon and still has the same menu it did back then. North Beach Pizza is the real deal in regards to an authentic Pizzaria. Besides outstanding pizza, any of the other menu items are classics and plentiful. There are two north of Columbus Ave on Grant Ave, at 1310 (the original), and at 1499. I also have had great meals at just about any corner sea food grill I have tried.

By the way, if you want Chinese, the only two places I can recommend are Sam Wo's, at 813 Washington, off of Grant Ave, and the House of Nanking on 919 Kearney. Mostly, I am greatly disappointed with the Chinese restaurants in SF because they cater so much to midwest taste buds and serve up crap.

I am also fond of a little family run Italian place called Sodinis Green Valley Restaurant up at 510 Green Street off of Columbus about two blocks east. It is very near a real interesting place called Caffe Sport at 574 Green (and closer to Columbus. They only have two seatings and the portions are enormous, but man is it good. Italian seafood dishes and pastas, mainly.

Then there are the places I like up in the Marina district and over on Van Ness......no.... better not strain your taste buds any further.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 03:25:25 PM »
Mostly, I am greatly disappointed with the Chinese restaurants in SF because they cater so much to midwest taste buds and serve up crap.

HEY!! >:(

Ah love me some good Chahneez az lawng as it wuz invented in Springfield, Missourah. 

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 04:00:14 PM »
Mostly, I am greatly disappointed with the Chinese restaurants in SF because they cater so much to midwest taste buds and serve up crap.

HEY!! >:(

Ah love me some good Chahneez az lawng as it wuz invented in Springfield, Missourah. 

'kay. Iah rekumend the deep fried buzzard grits, then, iffen yous ever venture out Wes fur sum sivilisation.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 05:37:55 PM »

By the way, if you want Chinese, the only two places I can recommend are Sam Wo's, at 813 Washington, off of Grant Ave, and the House of Nanking on 919 Kearney. Mostly, I am greatly disappointed with the Chinese restaurants in SF because they cater so much to midwest taste buds and serve up crap.

We have found a couple decent Chinese restaurants in SF.  But I couldn't tell you how to get there.  One was down an alley off of a side street then down a set of steps.  The room had 5-6 tables and English was limited to hello, good bye & thank you.  We ordered dim sum by pointing at the pictures on the menu.  Very good food...but then I was born with midwestern taste buds so I am probably wrong.

Actually finding little hole in the wall restaurants is one of our favorite pasttimes when we travel.  It is amazing how some of the best local food is found in places that are generally described as dives.  We have found this true even in foreign locales like Cabo, Puerto Villarta, the Bahamas and Sacramento.  Recently got back from Hawaii and the best fish we had came from a local diner (?) that didn't even have seating.  It literally was a hole (window) in the wall between a convenience store and a dive/snorkel shop. 
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 11:48:38 AM »

We have found a couple decent Chinese restaurants in SF.  But I couldn't tell you how to get there.  One was down an alley off of a side street then down a set of steps.  The room had 5-6 tables and English was limited to hello, good bye & thank you.  We ordered dim sum by pointing at the pictures on the menu.  Very good food...but then I was born with midwestern taste buds so I am probably wrong.

Actually finding little hole in the wall restaurants is one of our favorite pasttimes when we travel.  It is amazing how some of the best local food is found in places that are generally described as dives.  We have found this true even in foreign locales like Cabo, Puerto Villarta, the Bahamas and Sacramento.  Recently got back from Hawaii and the best fish we had came from a local diner (?) that didn't even have seating.  It literally was a hole (window) in the wall between a convenience store and a dive/snorkel shop. 

How true. On a trip to Rosarita Beach, about twenty miles south of Tijuana, we had planned to enjoy the lobster tails at Puerto Nuevo, which is a formerly little fishing village ten miles further into Baja that was made famous by its $9.95 complete lobster dinners. While they were great, what I remember most was eating the best chicken mole ever at a little stand in Rosarita. While she was cooking the mole, she would point at each ingredient before dropping it into the sauce and name it in Spanish and we would name it in English. We ordered some beers. She took our money, handed it to her eight year old son, who ran across the street to a market to buy the beer. I told him to keep the change and she refused for him. "Have to teach him character", she told us, in not so good English.

BTW, her American husband sat at a stool nearby just watching her work. "Married her for her cooking", was all he managed to say between slurps of his own beer.

Back to S.F., what I mean about most of the Chinese restaurants there is that years ago they were really, really good. The Far East on Grant Ave was superior to any other place I have eaten. But the last time we ate there it was so rancid I could not believe I was even in the same building. The general quality of the cuisine is now substandard at most places compared to Seattle or Vancouver.  You not only chose well in finding a back street place, you absolutely have to if you want to get anything worthy. The place I mentioned above, Sam Wu's, is like that. His restaurant is in a very narrow building about five stories tall, with nooks and cranies all up and down the place where the tables are located. His kitchen is in the basement and first floor. No dumbwaiter either.

Like to know what hole-in-the-wall place you found in Sacramento, though. I know a few, but this town really does not cater to gourmands too much.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 12:34:24 PM »
Like to know what hole-in-the-wall place you found in Sacramento, though. I know a few, but this town really does not cater to gourmands too much.

We have had this conversation before...we actually had a hard time finding a restaurant open in the downtown area (near the Sheraton convention center hotel) on the weekend.  It seems that no one who actually works in Sacramento deems it nice enough to live in.  And to try to find a restaurant along Interstate 80 is impossible.  But maybe things have improved...it has been a few years since our visit.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 04:57:29 PM »

We have had this conversation before...we actually had a hard time finding a restaurant open in the downtown area (near the Sheraton convention center hotel) on the weekend.  It seems that no one who actually works in Sacramento deems it nice enough to live in.  And to try to find a restaurant along Interstate 80 is impossible.  But maybe things have improved...it has been a few years since our visit.

It has. Downtown is much livelier now. But they are still not building the new area up at all. We have a ton of land north of the current downtown that has been slated for development for over twenty years, but the city just has not gotten the nerve to approve any kind of development there. It will change Sacramento completely once they do develop it. It will double the size of downtown.