Author Topic: Here is a good thread starter...  (Read 7157 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: Here is a good thread starter...
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2007, 05:17:12 PM »
*sigh*

Your turn, 'koast.

So the Lakers get negative points for getting past an injury riddled Celt team in 85 but no mention of the Celts getting beat up by a rookie moving to a position other then his natural one  in the finals when the best player in the league was out with an injury?

Nope.  No mention of it at all...since it never happened.

In fact, I can't ever remember a big game by a rookie moving to a different position than his natural one in the Finals when the best player in the league was out with an injury except for the one when Magic Johnson filled in at center for Kareem for the 1980 Lakers against Philadelphia.

:D :D
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2007, 12:32:21 PM »
Reality,
What are you smoking?

Mo Malone joined the Sixers.  Results
83 Glorious title, a 4-0 skunkin exposing the psuedo dynasty Lakers.
84 Worked by Bob Parish and company.
85  ditto
86  ditto

84 - Philadelphia eliminated by New Jersey in the First Round (big story at the time)
86 - Philadelphia eliminated by Milwaukee in the Conference Semis (Bobby Jones' final season)
I knew as i wrote the Mo Sixers did not even face the Celts but for one playoff year, 1983.  Good you guys are keeping me edited tho, really.  Point was in response to rick, Mo Malone did not work the Celtics front line every year, but just 1983.  Rickortreat i totally agree from '85 on Mo did not have the supporting cast.  Dr. J was in his umpteenth year, knees were 60% of what they were.  Didn't they lost Toney also?  Some Sixers themselves said a major problem was the teams marketing slogan and overall team attitude.  The billboards read "Paid in Full" with a picture of Dr J and Mo Malone on a check, referencing previous blown title years '80 and '82 being "We owe you one" thus '83 the big payback.  Hence not enough hunger in 84, along with a superior Celts team. ;)  I still have nothing but props to Mo Malone and the 1983 buttkicking administered.

Wow wasn't allowed to stay up late enough in 1984 to watch Bob work Kareem for the Championship.  1986 Wows curfew was extended by the *greatest center of all time* couldn't muster up even a West Conf Finals.

In 1986, Houston eliminated LA in...the Western Conference Finals.
  Hence, LA could not even muster up a West Conference Finals win.  Of course Stern took care of that in preseason 1987 along with the San Antonio Lakers owners midseason trade

Kream in the wimpiest West Conference of all time only managed to get past an injury riddled Celt team in 85.
Beat them in 1987, too.
  If you knew what took place beyond the boxscore....
I could tell you about Lenny Bias and his deaths affect.

Let me guess...history *ISN'T* a passion of yours....
i guess it *isn't*  http://forums.phillyarena.net/index.php?topic=3929.0                                                                   
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 12:58:41 PM by Reality »

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2007, 11:37:17 PM »
And it just keeps going.

I knew as i wrote the Mo Sixers did not even face the Celts but for one playoff year, 1983.

Unless, of course, you count the time when Boston beat them in '85 as well.

Hence, LA could not even muster up a West Conference Finals win.

They did win one game in the WCF....

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2007, 07:47:51 PM »
And it just keeps going.

I knew as i wrote the Mo Sixers did not even face the Celts but for one playoff year, 1983.

Unless, of course, you count the time when Boston beat them in '85 as well.

Hence, LA could not even muster up a West Conference Finals win.

They did win one game in the WCF....

The Celts and Sixers going at for best record in reg season 1980-85 was like watching playoff games.  In '82 rick I cringed as Nate Archibald went down in the playoffs vs Philly in Gm 2.  Celts had rolled Philly by 30 in Gm 1, i was expecting repeat title.

Bob Parish and Mo Malone had some epic battles, along with the rest of the matchups.  So pardon rick and i if these games seem to run together.

Yes LA did win one game in not being able to muster up a 1986 West Conference Finals series win.
You and WOW should focus on posting on that one win.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2007, 08:15:27 PM »
Yes LA did win one game in not being able to muster up a 1986 West Conference Finals series win.
You and WOW should focus on posting on that one win.

How many titles did that "epic" Celtic team win in the 80's?  Was it 5?  I know somebody won 5 titles in the 80's, maybe I'll focus on figuring out who that team was.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2007, 04:13:19 AM »
It was a lot easier for LA to get to the finals in the early to mid 80's than it was for Boston and Philly, unlike today, where the West is where the power is, back then the more of the elite teams were in the East.

It was so hard for teams from the East to even get to the finals, they were tired and exhausted and end up playing one of the fastest teams in the history of the game, who wouldn't even give you a chance to play defense. 

Today the Spurs are the monster of the League and while the other teams in the West are far better than in the East, none of them are close enough to give the Spurs a tough test, or even begin to wear them down.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2007, 05:38:49 AM »
Today the Spurs are the monster of the League and while the other teams in the West are far better than in the East, none of them are close enough to give the Spurs a tough test, or even begin to wear them down.

Rick, do you live in the same world as the rest of us?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues