Author Topic: The Sacramento Arena Thread.  (Read 4480 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Sacramento Arena Thread.
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 09:55:34 AM »
In other words, rick, while the Kings are in for some down years, the unyielding potential for growth in the Sacramento area certainly makes having a franchise in this region a much more prized possession to the League then watching the dying throes of Philadelphia as the rust belt bleeds away its population.

That's you're opinion, but you obviously don't know much about Philly, which although it has plenty of brownfields in it's former manufacturing areas, and is loosing population, most of those people have moved out to the suburbs to escape the city's wage tax and poor services. 

The downtown area is booming, and there are still new buildings going up.  The old city, which was where all the history was made has now come back.  There has been extensive renovation done to them, while preserving their historical appearance.

There are approximately 6 million people living within a 50 mile radius of Center City Phila.  5 Major universities, medical teaching hostpitals, a major insurance center and pharma industry hotbed.  The NBA is far more likely to panic about loosing a top 5 market like Phila. than a pissant state capital in the land of fruits and nuts.

Located in between NYC and Washington, Phila. is cheaper than both to live in and offers a higher quality of live- it's not going anywhere, and will be a strong economic center long after half of Cali tumbles into the sea.

Besides, you're missing the point- why should the NBA subsidize any city to build a new stadium- why would the other owners stand for that, rather than demanding the NBA return the profits to them? As it is the quality of play in the league has deteriorated as a result of overexpansion into small towns like Sacramento.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 10:53:58 AM »
BTW, do not compare what has happened in Sacramento to how things get done in your city or how they were done in Memphis. California does not have the same laws that allow easier financing to occur without a huge corporate base, and Sacramento's biggest company is the State of California, so it is very unlikely they will get any money from them.

WTF?  I thought the "Governator" was supposed make it easier for buisness to boom in Cali.  We are losing too many corp. dollars to states with friendlier govs.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 11:03:25 AM »
Located in between NYC and Washington, Phila. is cheaper than both to live in and offers a higher quality of live- it's not going anywhere, and will be a strong economic center long after half of Cali tumbles into the sea.

All the east coaster should pray everyday that Cali stays in tact, otherwise you're all gonna starve and/or develop scurvy since you can't afford to be paying $50.00 for a pound of Florida citris products.  8 of the top 10 agro producing regions in the US are in Cali, so if Cali tumbles you better learn to eat dirt, at least your dirt will be historic, should make it taste better I guess.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 12:32:54 PM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 11:17:24 AM »
That's you're opinion, but you obviously don't know much about Philly, which although it has plenty of brownfields in it's former manufacturing areas, and is loosing population, most of those people have moved out to the suburbs to escape the city's wage tax and poor services.  

Except that I was born thirty minutes north of it, I guess not. That the best part of Philadelphia was seeing it disappear in the rear view mirror getting out of there was one of the highlights of my life that has been full of highlights. It was like getting a pardon from a Turkish prison. And a selling point of high city taxes and resultant poor service is really not necessarily a good way of bragging about your city.

The downtown area is booming, and there are still new buildings going up.  The old city, which was where all the history was made has now come back.  There has been extensive renovation done to them, while preserving their historical appearance.

Rick, the downtown area, from my memory, had absolutely no where else to go but up. Why is the city just recently recognizing its history? Ashamed?

And the memory of Philly's waterfront is one that will haunt me till I die. Rust covered warehouses that blended into a background of a rust colored river. Any (live) fish nearby?  

There are approximately 6 million people living within a 50 mile radius of Center City Phila.  5 Major universities, medical teaching hostpitals, a major insurance center and pharma industry hotbed.  The NBA is far more likely to panic about loosing a top 5 market like Phila. than a pissant state capital in the land of fruits and nuts.

I can understand escaping to the suburbs. We lived in Ciniminson, NJ ourselves. Our rare trips into the downtown area did not include asking anyone for directions either after the first time. I have never met more unlikeable and unfriendly people anywhere in the world and I am a world traveller.

Philly's population figure for the metropolitan area is not growing and has recently lost ground to more dynamic regions, especially in sun belt areas of the country in Florida and Texas. A region that is losing population is viewed by most economists as a bad thing. No new blood coming into the area, just the same stagnant masses that can't afford to live anywhere else. Great selling point for the area.

Now your scaring me. If it's not going anywhere especially. This certainly will disappoint many others around the country.

But that bit about a strong economic center long after we tumble into the sea? Are you even semi-serious? Sacramento is the capital of California, the sixth largest economy IN THE WORLD!!!! Please tell me how your deadweight city comes anywhere close to competing with us in anything? You may have the market on delusions and suicides, but in serious matters, you can't carry our jockstrap. If the U.S. were to somehow lose California, it would never recover; if it lost Philadelphia, the nation just might make it a national holiday.

And Sacramento has the largest undeveloped downtown acreage of any large city in the United States. You also might consider some of those stalwart companies that are boosting up Philadelphia's economy would jump at the chance to move into one of our shiney new office complexes. They might as well join the rest of us ex-Pennslyvanians out here. Seems like plenty of the fruits and nuts who were locally raised back there are doing just fine out here and away from there now.

Besides, you're missing the point- why should the NBA subsidize any city to build a new stadium- why would the other owners stand for that, rather than demanding the NBA return the profits to them? As it is the quality of play in the league has deteriorated as a result of overexpansion into small towns like Sacramento.

The only reason I can think of is that they prefer to keep Sacramento as part of the NBA as opposed to other potential areas. Go figure. Their experts, who I have to think are giving this option considerable thought, are pursuing the idea and I could not think of a good reason, except that they prefer the Sacramento area to, say Las Vegas, so why not make it happen in the preferred location?

It would make a for a shakey precedent, I grant you. Unless the idea actually works. If it turns a profit for the League and the other owners, the other owners I guarantee you will stand for it.

And rick, if I were with the League, I think I would prefer potential over worn out. I would prefer good year round weather instead of salted roads. I would prefer a REAL economic center of growth as opposed to a stagnant one.

You want to talk economic factors, you are way out of your League.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 11:24:03 AM »
BTW, do not compare what has happened in Sacramento to how things get done in your city or how they were done in Memphis. California does not have the same laws that allow easier financing to occur without a huge corporate base, and Sacramento's biggest company is the State of California, so it is very unlikely they will get any money from them.

WTF?  I thought the "Governator" was supposed make it easier for buisness to boom in Cali.  We are losing too many corp. dollars to states with friendlier govs.

He is certainly making it better, which I am relieved about. Even with the losses, though, the State's economy is pretty strong. The bottom line is that any corporation worth a damn knows it has to have an operation somewhere in California to be competitive, so corporation taxes here, though high, are still worth the payment.   
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 01:20:07 PM »
BIG UP MID-MO!!!!

...sorry the rampant nationalism,..urrrm...I guess in this instance regionalism, took hold of me.8)
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 01:30:26 PM »
BIG UP MID-MO!!!!

...sorry the rampant nationalism,..urrrm...I guess in this instance regionalism, took hold of me.8)

Watch out!  I grew up just an hour drive from there and quite frankly there is very little in Mid-Mo to get excited about.  In fact there is very little to even wake up about...

8)
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2007, 03:07:26 PM »
Watch out!  I grew up just an hour drive from there and quite frankly there is very little in Mid-Mo to get excited about.  In fact there is very little to even wake up about...

8)

Sounds like you haven't spent a summer in front of a 7-Eleven if you think there is little to do in Mid-MO.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2007, 06:14:14 PM »
Isn't hanging out at the Springfield 7-11 what is used to be?

Speaking of which, Springfield, Illinois got beat out by Springfield, Vermont to rep the Simpsons.  Whats up with that?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2007, 10:24:34 AM »

8)

Sounds like you haven't spent a summer in front of a 7-Eleven if you think there is little to do in Mid-MO.

There is a whole movie of it...Reality and Silent Lurker Strike Back.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2007, 11:15:42 AM »

But that bit about a strong economic center long after we tumble into the sea? Are you even semi-serious? Sacramento is the capital of California, the sixth largest economy IN THE WORLD!!!! Please tell me how your deadweight city comes anywhere close to competing with us in anything? You may have the market on delusions and suicides, but in serious matters, you can't carry our jockstrap. If the U.S. were to somehow lose California, it would never recover; if it lost Philadelphia, the nation just might make it a national holiday.

I have been humiliated. Yesterday, I opened up my faithful Sactown Bee to read an article that included a quote from a colleague of mine, only to learn <sob> that I was mistaken - California has tumbled down from a high of being the fifth largest economy in the world all the way to eighth - EIGHTH!!!!

China has soared passed us and is now the fastest growing economy in the world, all the while their products are being exposed as terrible and dangerous yet. And those two Euro-trash beguilers - France and Italy - have suddenly decided they can have both vibrant economies AND superior food to us.

Damned Bush and the weak dollar!!! Otherwise we still would be at least sixth.

http://www.sacbee.com/103/story/266410.html

BTW, my colleaque is Roth. He of the "I guess we take some pride in it, but other than that, I don't know what to make of it", quote.

While I am at it, you can see my boss in this CNN video about the latest California population projections. It is Mary Heim. Further proof about the growth in population to be expected in this state over the next several decades.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/07/11/wian.california.population.boom.cnn

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2007, 11:44:31 AM »
China has soared passed us and is now the fastest growing economy in the world, all the while their products are being exposed as terrible and dangerous yet.

Did you read about the head of the China "FDA" being executed?  WOW, that's how you deal with a problem employee!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2007, 12:36:52 PM »
China has soared passed us and is now the fastest growing economy in the world, all the while their products are being exposed as terrible and dangerous yet.

Did you read about the head of the China "FDA" being executed?  WOW, that's how you deal with a problem employee!

Yeah, I heard. I also heard he is the SECOND official in that office to be executed within the last two years.