Author Topic: Adelman reportedly interviews with Rockets  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Adelman reportedly interviews with Rockets
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 12:31:48 PM »
What a monumental occasion this is.  The Spurs/Lakers family has come together.  It is amazing how one family has been able to more or less dominate the league since 1999.  Since we are family I would like to request that you send us Tony Parker and we will send you Jordan Farmar.  It's all family right?!

Are you guys pissing in the wind for distance or volume?

Volume of course.  You have to piss with the wind for distance.   ;)
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 12:41:39 PM »
And some roster moves will be made to fill in the needs of his offense. Yao's passing and ball-handling does not strike me as up to par for Adelman's tastes. He will need a better frontline player to run his offense through.

Doesn't finding another frontline player who has better ball-handling and passing skills kind of cancel out any benefit of having Yao?   If Yao isn't the frontline player who gets the most touches then you are turning him into Franciso Elson with an additional 6" of height.

That is classic JoMal...

Not if that player plays power forward, genius.

Well, Einstein...if the ball runs through the PF hands how exactly does Yao still get his points?  Not to mention the effect of taking the ball out of McGrady's hands. 

And how does that change Yao's rebounding and defensaive shortcomings?

Well, Brainiac, I seem to recall the ball going through Webber's hands quite often and then on to open teammates. See, when those other guys, let's call them the X-Team Defenders, collapse to the ball, nearby players, let's call them "Yao", can often make open dunks, or such. That is why I am talking about obtaining a "passing" frontline player who would augment the offense.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2007, 12:44:31 PM »
What a monumental occasion this is.  The Spurs/Lakers family has come together.  It is amazing how one family has been able to more or less dominate the league since 1999.  Since we are family I would like to request that you send us Tony Parker and we will send you Jordan Farmar.  It's all family right?!

Volume of course.  You have to piss with the wind for distance.   ;)

The volume of your wind will always be greater then the distance of your......what are we talking about again??
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2007, 12:47:29 PM »

Volume of course.  You have to piss with the wind for distance.   ;)

The volume of your wind will always be greater then the distance of your......what are we talking about again??

Reality's idea that Rick Adleman will turn Yao into what he always envisioned him to be....Wilt Chamberlain.  In turn silencing the 'Yao Haters'
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 12:59:07 PM »
Lets try some Lakerese language.
Did Shaq and Kobe improve from Del Harris to Phil Winters?

Then why do you Lakers and Laker cousins (lurker) insist that Yao cannot improve under a better coach?
Yes, Yao improving along with the whole team.

No, westkoast was spot on. Yao certainly has his own set of talents, but ball-handling and passing are not among them. The Rockets, in order to implement the type of offense Adelman prefers, will need someone else on the front line who can fill that void, and a huge problem exists in that, yeah, there are no Webber's or Vlade's out there right now who can do it.

One option, though, is to trade for Brad Miller and make HIM a power forward in the system. When both Vlade and Brad were on the Kings, Adelman did this occasionally and it worked okay, but I think it would be better if only one (Miller) passer was running things instead of two, though Vlade was amazingly open to second fiddle status in Rick's system, and that was the major reason it worked so well in SacTown.

Brad Miller would be an excellent choice and I am sure HOU has plenty to offer to try to pick him up.  Especially after he had an off year by his standards.  If Rick was able to get a quality passer in the post then I think Battier and Raef would benefit greatly.  Even Tracy Mcgrady would benefit from not having most of the offensive load being placed on his shoulders.  The movement will improve but will the additional movement exploit Yao's stamina weakness even more?

Don't get me wrong, I think Adleman would be an excellent replacement to Van Gundy.  Between Rick and the people he surrounds himself they bring alot to the table.    Both in terms of making players happy and making the fans happy (if he is given the right tools to work).   I just don't think he is going to turn Yao into something he is not.  He could however turn Houston into something it is not...a team that will go deeper in the WC playoffs.  Van Gundy has not been able to do it and if you are going to make a big change might as well grab a big coach.

Ah, but 'koast, that is my point. Rick will utilize Yao by focusing on his strengths and minimizing his weaknesses.

As for his stamina, that will be a touchy issue with Rick, to be sure. He likes his guys to be fresh in the fourth quarter when it matters the most. The Kings has a conditioning coach - a local guy - who players swore by. He was a monster trainer and even Chris Webber would joke about how hard the guy was on him. And some of his lazier teammates (anyone remember what "great" condition Vlade Divac was in during his career?), avoided him at all costs.

But lazy ole' Vlade seemed to spring to life on occasion in Adelman's system.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 03:37:45 PM »
Lets try some Lakerese language.
Did Shaq and Kobe improve from Del Harris to Phil Winters?

Then why do you Lakers and Laker cousins (lurker) insist that Yao cannot improve under a better coach?
Yes, Yao improving along with the whole team.

No, westkoast was spot on. Yao certainly has his own set of talents, but ball-handling and passing are not among them. The Rockets, in order to implement the type of offense Adelman prefers, will need someone else on the front line who can fill that void, and a huge problem exists in that, yeah, there are no Webber's or Vlade's out there right now who can do it.

One option, though, is to trade for Brad Miller and make HIM a power forward in the system. When both Vlade and Brad were on the Kings, Adelman did this occasionally and it worked okay, but I think it would be better if only one (Miller) passer was running things instead of two, though Vlade was amazingly open to second fiddle status in Rick's system, and that was the major reason it worked so well in SacTown.

Brad Miller would be an excellent choice and I am sure HOU has plenty to offer to try to pick him up.  Especially after he had an off year by his standards.  If Rick was able to get a quality passer in the post then I think Battier and Raef would benefit greatly.  Even Tracy Mcgrady would benefit from not having most of the offensive load being placed on his shoulders.  The movement will improve but will the additional movement exploit Yao's stamina weakness even more?

Don't get me wrong, I think Adleman would be an excellent replacement to Van Gundy.  Between Rick and the people he surrounds himself they bring alot to the table.    Both in terms of making players happy and making the fans happy (if he is given the right tools to work).   I just don't think he is going to turn Yao into something he is not.  He could however turn Houston into something it is not...a team that will go deeper in the WC playoffs.  Van Gundy has not been able to do it and if you are going to make a big change might as well grab a big coach.

Ah, but 'koast, that is my point. Rick will utilize Yao by focusing on his strengths and minimizing his weaknesses.

As for his stamina, that will be a touchy issue with Rick, to be sure. He likes his guys to be fresh in the fourth quarter when it matters the most. The Kings has a conditioning coach - a local guy - who players swore by. He was a monster trainer and even Chris Webber would joke about how hard the guy was on him. And some of his lazier teammates (anyone remember what "great" condition Vlade Divac was in during his career?), avoided him at all costs.

But lazy ole' Vlade seemed to spring to life on occasion in Adelman's system.

You are somewhat saying what Reality is saying which is he is doing poorly in spots because he is not being used by JVG properly.  I have to disagree.   Van Gundy's style is to play defense and rebounding/shot blocking is a major part of defense.  I find it hard to believe he has not asked Yao to do that.   He seems to me like he lacks in some categories because of who he is.  I don't think he could be a true leader (or strap the team on his back in the crunch) because he is passive by nature and he has somewhat of a language barrier.   Why he doesn't block more shots or get more rebounds, especially in very important playoff games, I can't put my finger on it.  Nothing to do with the coaching style though, that is an individual issue.

Why are you dissing Vlade? He use to warm his lungs up at before the game and at half time with a handful of cigarettes.  If that is not dedication to getting yourself ready for the game, I don't know what is.  As for Yao...sounds like he could benefit from that guy but I wonder how much of his size really effects his stamina.  Would imagine it takes alot of power to move such a large frame up and down the court.  I think he is much better then say Shawn Bradley in that regard but no one considered Shawn Bradley to be a bonafide all-star and heir to the post throne in the NBA.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com