Author Topic: Chris Webber update  (Read 3458 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Chris Webber update
« on: March 22, 2004, 11:58:40 AM »
So today, eleven games into Chris' new career as key prop to opposing power forwards' obstacle course on the way to the basket. we can view how Chris is handling being the key reason the Kings keep having to dig themselves out of 17 point deficit holes.

He blames the media.

Apparently, he believes the media is responsible for the fans and others to be upset with his game since his return from serious knee surgery. As reported on local radio this morning, Webbers says it has been the media's negative take on his contributions to the Kings that have made the fans boo him at the ever-faithful Arco Arena twice since his return, including Sunday's game against the Rockets.

And here I was thinking the fans, not at all the blithering fools in sheep's clothing he thinks they are, actually noticed on their own that he took 18 mostly uncontested shots in the Houston game and only made 4 of them. Or that his confused handling of the ball resulted in five extremely unnecessary turnovers. Or even that 5 of 8 from the line was absolutely the best we can hope for on a good night from our franchise player.

While his rebounding and late passing were helpful in the outcome, the outcome was in doubt earlier every time he touched the ball. The Rockets, by design or by neglect, left Chris alone to twiddle with the ball until he dropped it into their laps or they picked off the easy rebound from his clanks around the rim. Screaming at the TV screen for Adelman to insert Songaila or Massenburg fell on deaf rabbit ears, so periodic switching to the History Channel to soothe my rattled nerves watching the horrors of war were necessary respites.

While other King's shooters, such as Peja Stojakovich (10 for 16), Mike Bibby (7 for 14), and even aging-as-we-watch Vlade Divac (5 for7) watched the slow-motion offense stagnate once again as soon as Chris touched the ball, I must place suitable blame on these other teammates not all flocking to the basket, as did the Rockets, anticipating the miss and going for the rebound. How come it was only Chris who was getting completely open looks? The other King's shooters still managed a better shooting percentage with Rocket fuel drenched all over them.

As Chris said, it's the responsibility of the media to lie to the public about what he is really trying to do, which apparently is just to get ready for the playoffs. Makes you wonder what kind of playoffs he is actually getting ready for, doesn't it?

Taking what I would say were at least six shots more then he should have, if our team leader truly expects the offense to run through him, then HE should be the first guy on the court to recognize when he can't shoot, and get the ball into the hands of teammates who can. Like Peja, who attempted two less shots, made six more, including 5 three pointers - this new math is killing me. As is Chris' game frequently since his return.

Not every night, which is a problem in itself. When Chris is hitting his shots, I say take them and take them every time. But when you clearly are not making them, become the team player you claim to be and recognize it early, then get your hands off the ball.

Songaila wouldn't miss that many shots in a game. For one, he is smart enough to realyze his team would benefit more if he did not shoot the ball 18 times in the game in the first place, even though he would likely make half of them.

And intuitively, he would also know the damned media would be out there telling the ignorant fans that it would be wrong for him to shoot the ball 18 times in the first place, stagnating the best offense in the League, and be booed by the Arco faithful as Marty McNeal of the Sacramento Bee (or whomever) orchestrates the boos from his media seat at Arco.

You see, the fans would never even think of booing a 120 million dollar franchise player who would lie to a grand jury, spend his money on the opposite of drug therapy, get suspended eight games total for these transgressions, then nearly shoot the team out of several games, while clearly not able to play a lick of defense unless the media were there to tell them these awful truths in the first place.

I mean, like, couldn't we, like, think for ourselves, fur sure?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 12:38:03 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
Chris Webber update
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 12:09:47 PM »
Seen quite a few Sactown games as of late, the team just does not put teams away, and that bothers me. If they had a proven success record in the playoffs, that would be another story, I just don't see Sacramento advancing past the second round of the playoffs.  

Once again, if I were a betting man, my money would go on LA or SA to represent the West this year.  The East could EASILY prevail in the championship round this year too.  Indy plays some awfully good D.
Paul

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Chris Webber update
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 12:22:31 PM »
besides the offense and team chem reverting into Webber as the center of the Kings universe, it might be said that "well at least he is not costing them games."

Really were it not for Van Grunty and his orders to once again veg in the 4th I don't think the Kings pull this one out.  That is to say with ChrissyBall.

Sad.  If Adleman does it again.....

This bit about needing to work him into games is one thing.  Ballhogging for 40 minutes is another.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Chris Webber update
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 12:24:43 PM »
Well, here comes the Randy "I told you so's"  :lol:

As much I like the Kings and their game, if LA doesn't make it to the Finals I hope it is Minnesota, because the only player I like less than Sprewell is Webber. I hope he never gets a ring. In fact, if it would ruin his season even more, I hope he gets to the Finals and some EC scrub team bounces the Kings in short order. Sorry JoMal, terrible to hope for something like that just to further humiliate Webber, but this lying, thieving, wimpy, cowardly puke deserves total failure and lack of recognition in the NBA.
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Chris Webber update
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 01:20:15 PM »
The truly odd thing about Webber is that he actually is more then capable of carrying the team. His leadership clearly could be the difference, but what he says and his actions on the court continue to avoid each other.

With his passing and court sense, few competitors can cope with him. While I don't fault him for his current defensive problems, (the knee just is not that sound yet for quick lateral moves to keep himself between his man and the basket), and his rebounding is spotty but better then what we experienced before his return, he has to recognize when his taking the outside shot starts to hurt the team.

The Kings are loaded with shooters, one of whom is bound to have a hot hand in any given game. Where the Kings in general (not just Chris) fail as a team and where Adelman's lack of game changing strategy comes into play, is when one of these shooters has a cold streak and they keep feeding him the ball. Webber is not used to shooting 2 for 21 or 4 for 18, but when he does, a team leader changes his focus of his game to help his team elsewhere. Chris is way too good a passer to ignore the guys shooting the lights out instead of him. Or seeing the number of offensive rebounds the opponents are getting for him to not step up his board game. Even now, however, I see Chris the lone King fighting for a defensive rebound outnumbered four to one while his teammates are all out at the three point line - on defense.

For Chris to really accept his limitations going into the playoffs, he first has to recognize what his leadership means to the team, and not serve lipservice to the team cause, but actually perform like a leader. But implying the fans are sheep to the media is a little too condescending for even him to consider.    
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
Chris Webber update
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 01:23:54 PM »
So today, eleven games into Chris' new career as key prop to opposing power forwards' obstacle course on the way to the basket. we can view how Chris is handling being the key reason the Kings keep having to dig themselves out of 17 point deficit holes.

He blames the media.

Apparently, he believes the media is responsible for the fans and others to be upset with his game since his return from serious knee surgery. As reported on local radio this morning, Webbers says it has been the media's negative take on his contributions to the Kings that have made the fans boo him at the ever-faithful Arco Arena twice since his return, including Sunday's game against the Rockets.

And here I was thinking the fans, not at all the blithering fools in sheep's clothing he thinks they are, actually noticed on their own that he took 18 mostly uncontested shots in the Houston game and only made 4 of them. Or that his confused handling of the ball resulted in five extremely unnecessary turnovers. Or even that 5 of 8 from the line was absolutely the best we can hope for on a good night from our franchise player.

While his rebounding and late passing were helpful in the outcome, the outcome was in doubt earlier every time he touched the ball. The Rockets, by design or by neglect, left Chris alone to twiddle with the ball until he dropped it into their laps or they picked off the easy rebound from his clanks around the rim. Screaming at the TV screen for Adelman to insert Songaila or Massenburg fell on deaf rabbit ears, so periodic switching to the History Channel to soothe my rattled nerves watching the horrors of war were necessary respites.

While other King's shooters, such as Peja Stojakovich (10 for 16), Mike Bibby (7 for 14), and even aging-as-we-watch Vlade Divac (5 for7) watched the slow-motion offense stagnate once again as soon as Chris touched the ball, I must place suitable blame on these other teammates not all flocking to the basket, as did the Rockets, anticipating the miss and going for the rebound. How come it was only Chris who was getting completely open looks? The other King's shooters still managed a better shooting percentage with Rocket fuel drenched all over them.

As Chris said, it's the responsibility of the media to lie to the public about what he is really trying to do, which apparently is just to get ready for the playoffs. Makes you wonder what kind of playoffs he is actually getting ready for, doesn't it?

Taking what I would say were at least six shots more then he should have, if our team leader truly expects the offense to run through him, then HE should be the first guy on the court to recognize when he can't shoot, and get the ball into the hands of teammates who can. Like Peja, who attempted two less shots, made six more, including 5 three pointers - this new math is killing me. As is Chris' game frequently since his return.

Not every night, which is a problem in itself. When Chris is hitting his shots, I say take them and take them every time. But when you clearly are not making them, become the team player you claim to be and recognize it early, then get your hands off the ball.

Songaila wouldn't miss that many shots in a game. For one, he is smart enough to realyze his team would benefit more if he did not shoot the ball 18 times in the game in the first place, even though he would likely make half of them.

And intuitively, he would also know the damned media would be out there telling the ignorant fans that it would be wrong for him to shoot the ball 18 times in the first place, stagnating the best offense in the League, and be booed by the Arco faithful as Marty McNeal of the Sacramento Bee (or whomever) orchestrates the boos from his media seat at Arco.

You see, the fans would never even think of booing a 120 million dollar franchise player who would lie to a grand jury, spend his money on the opposite of drug therapy, get suspended eight games total for these transgressions, then nearly shoot the team out of several games, while clearly not able to play a lick of defense unless the media were there to tell them these awful truths in the first place.

I mean, like, couldn't we, like, think for ourselves, fur sure?
Want to know my solution to the "CWebb comes in and screws up the Kings motion offense" problem?  Bring CWebb off the bench and play him when Peja goes to the bench.  Have you noticed what has happened to Peja's scoring lately?  It's down.  Why?  So CWebb can launch more bricks.  The Kings would be quite lethal, IMO, if they continued to start off with the motion offense with Vlade and Miller down below (IMO, Miller is a better defensive player any and they don't mind the position of role player -- something that CWebb obviously can't do because he is a "superstar franchise" jerk, I mean player).  Then when Peja needs a blow, you bring in squad B with Bobby Jackson, Peeler, CWebb and launch the offense through CWebb.  By doing this, you will keep defenses running to focus on what the Kings are running at the time and you will see the Kings wins go back up.  

Have I mentioned how glad, as a Laker fan, that CWebb is back in the lineup?  Because without him, this team and their motion offense scare me -- with him I am SOOO relieved.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Chris Webber update
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 02:07:33 PM »
JoMal,

I think you may be missing a huge point, or maybe I'm seeing more than what's there.  If Webbers knee is preventing him from playing defense, then it would stand to reason it's affecting his offense.  What makes Webber and other players like him superstars?  IMO one big factor is versatility, that's the reason I cap on Peja.  Webber is usually a triple threat on offense.  What I've seen lately is that he's become a single threat and that single threat is NOT even working.  CWebb can shot the jumper, drive to the hoop and post up.  With his knee problems he can't drive or hold position in the post.  If CWebb's, or any other veteran star's, shot isn't falling they goto to something else.  Taking it to the hoop, rebounding, help defense and any other little things that would help the team BUT if there really is a problem with his knee it would explain alot.  

Makes more sense than his ego being the issue.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Chris Webber update
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 03:26:38 PM »
You know what......I think you all are being too hard on Webber.  It is the media's fault.  This news about Canada testing marijuana has kept Webber from really focusing in on his game and being apart of the Kings.  Secretly he is dying to be traded to the Raptors.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 03:26:51 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

jn

Chris Webber update
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 03:29:06 PM »
Actually I heard Webber demanded a trade to Vancouver. His memory ain't what it used to be. ;)  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Chris Webber update
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 04:55:32 PM »
WOW -

I understand that his knee is clearly not stable enough for a legitiment NBA power forward, but it looks like the Kings plan to work Webber as hard as possible in what's left of the regular season to gear him up for the playoff grind. I was hoping that this would mean he would come out if they needed him to, and he needed to come out in several of the most recent games.

I can only hope that they know what they are doing, because any more games like the last four and the Kings are going to be wondering the same thing.

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
Chris Webber update
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 09:52:08 PM »
Webber stank it it up bigtime yesterday. I was almost glad to hear the crowd booing him because he deserved it. The fact that he doesn't understand why they are booing him shows how clueless he is. There were three players hitting their shots with any consistency: Peja, MBibby, and Peeler. That's who needed to be taking the majority of the shots. I don't mind Webber trying to test out his shooting, but he needs to do it at the foul line. Some nights, with the limitations his knee is currently giving him, he needs to just pass the ball and do the other things that make his teammates successful.

Adelman continues to frustrate me with his narrow line-ups. Divac looked like he was on his last leg in that final quarter, and Brad Miller couldn't come back in the game. Why not use Massenburg or Songalia?!

I don't like the way this season is playing out for the Kings. I don't see the focus or energy there the way it needs to be on a consistent effort...and defense, has anyone even heard of the word. I hope they can kick it up a couple of notches before the playoffs, or they are in for another disappointing playoff run.  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
Chris Webber update
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 09:13:09 AM »
Not seeing much of a focus from the Kings, can't see them getting past the second round.  Shame too, so much talent...yet so little D.
Paul

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Chris Webber update
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2004, 11:47:01 AM »
On a side note:

Of the teams who played on Sunday, the number of players used by the coach -

Pistons            12
SuperSonics    12
L.A. Lakers      11
Timberwolves   11
Cavaliers         11
Wizards           11
Heat                11
Mavericks        11
Hornets           10
Raptors           10
Magic              10
Rockets           10
Bucks              10
L.A. Clippers      9
Nets                  9
Warriors            9
Kings                7

God, what I wouldn't give to have as deep a bench as the SuperSonics.

If only Petrie could provide Adelman with some bench strength; players that he could have some faith in to spell his starters a bit going into the playoffs, so they don't look like the last drag on Vlade's cigarette.

What a luxury it must be to go 10, 11, or 12 deep at this time of the year so your key players can survive the rigors of the post-season. Especially when your starters have begun the last several games looking like they are trying to move their tired feet in quicksand. And especially when you feel you need home court through the playoffs to succeed, making it very clear to opposing teams how you feel, so they double their efforts to ruin your chances.

:(  If only Adelman could count on his bench to help him out (sigh) :huh:      

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Chris Webber update
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2004, 12:10:42 PM »
:(  If only Adelman could count on his bench to help him out (sigh) :huh:
Couldn't count on his bench or "wouldn't" count on his bench?  I can't tell if you are being sarcastic Jomal.

The stats are "fascinating."  (Said like Mr. Spok)

T. Massenburg  DNP - COACH'S DECISION
R. Buford  DNP - COACH'S DECISION
J. Smith  DNP - COACH'S DECISION
D. Songaila  DNP - COACH'S DECISION

Why did the above not play?

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
Chris Webber update
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2004, 12:53:05 PM »
Reality, I am being blatantly sarcastic (sorry, that sounds like a criticism).

In a game like the one on Sunday, not spelling the front line with a few minutes from Songaila or Massenburg makes no sense whatsoever. Just to let Webber, for one, sit down and contemplate how his game was going that day would probably helped him and the team tremendously.

I am having major misgivings about how Adelman is preparing the team going into the postseason. While other teams more or less relaxed through the season, then get in gear late, the Kings focus on getting home court and wonder why all the other teams in the playoffs seem fresher then they do.

There is something to be said about the Laker (and Spurs, for that matter) philosophy about "turning on the switch" once the playoffs begin, instead of trying to get the best record going into the playoffs and hope that home court alone does the trick.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 12:53:56 PM by JoMal »