Author Topic: D'Antoni says Phx has more talent then Spurs  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
D'Antoni says Phx has more talent then Spurs
« on: May 07, 2007, 10:40:24 PM »
Thanks for the bulletin board material, Mike.
I get the context of what he is saying but still.....

"I hate to say this and I hope it sounds the right way. I think we have more talent than they do,'' D'Antoni said after the Suns practiced on Monday. "I think that we're individually better. Collectively, they're better right now.''
http://www.nba.com/nba_news/sunsheart_070507.html

They plan on starting Tim Thomas for Gm 2 to guard Duncan and relieve Stoudamire of that assignment.  No suprise.   And continue to have Marion guard Parker.  Thank you Phx for that one, Parker should go off for 30 again or have 10+ assists.  He'll drive right past him.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: D'Antoni says Phx has more talent then Spurs
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 10:50:06 PM »
"I think that we're individually better. Collectively, they're better right now.''

Basketball is a team sport.  Mike about sums it up for me.

Just to entertain the idea for debate...

Nash vs Parker - Nash
Amare vs Duncan - Duncan
Marion vs Manu - Marion posts up a bit better numbers but hasn't been major factor in the playoffs
Bell vs Bowen - Bowen is the better defender and a better 3 pt shooter in tough situations
SA bench vs Suns bench - Very close...Horry is clutch, Barbosa is a matchup nightmare in foot speed, Barry is a shooter, Banks/Jones can shoot. 
Fabs vs everyone - Fabs hair automatically makes him a better player
SA staff vs Suns staff - SA coaching staff
SA heart vs Suns heart - SA, no brainer, a team that good shouldn't have trouble getting motivated if they have a chance to win a title.  If that doesn't motivate you then you have a major weakness.

Sounds to me like he is even wrong on that too..
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 10:53:38 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 10:21:59 AM »
"Fabs vs everyone - Fabs hair automatically makes him a better player"

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 10:48:12 AM »
Got a solution for ya ole' Mikee D'antonee.  Instead of a 48 minute game, lobby for 8 of your players to play 8 of San Antonio's players 1 on 1 for 6 minute intervals.....oh wait the NBA probably won't let you do that.  Hmmm, so where does this comment really fit in to anything of what NBA basketball is about? 

I've never really liked this guy.  I'll tell ya, without Nash, I have no doubt in my mind he would've been a footnote in the annals of NBA coaching. 
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 10:58:30 AM »
Clearly, D'Antoni was watching his offense during practice and not the defense. If he thinks his players are better individually on defense then the Spurs, and good defense tends to win more championships then flashy offense, he must not be such a pretty fart smella...er....smart fella...after all. 
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 12:51:50 PM »
D'Antoni has always been cocky for a coach who has not done anything really.  ALthough I will point out he does NOT seem as cocky as when knocked them out last time we met in the playoffs....and for goodness sake- what's up with those pearly white chompers of his...with teath like that you would think he could be a motivational speaker...too bad he bites at that too.   ;D
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 02:43:25 PM »
Yeesh.. what foolish thing to say.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 02:55:27 PM »
Well, he has younger talent than San Antonio, but better?  That's a reach.  None of them have rings, or a championship.  They did win more games in the regular season, but not that many more.

If he has more talent, then he should win the series.  I think he is saying the Spurs are a better team because they play better team defense.  It's not their individual skills, but the way they trap the ball handler and disrupt the offense, that makes them better.

Physically, the Suns are better athletes, I doubt Duncan could run down the floor with Stoudamire, but I'd still want Duncan in the post over Amare right now.

I'm not sure if the Suns are ready to take out the Spurs.  So far, it looks like San Antonio is just a little bit better, a bit more in control, a bit more poised.  A confident team is tough to beat. D'Antoni is just trying to build the confidence in his own squad.  If it pisses off San Antonio, it's not like they can play any better- he had nothing to loose, except make SA loyalists unhappy. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 05:49:17 PM »
Well, he has younger talent than San Antonio, but better?  That's a reach.  None of them have rings, or a championship.  They did win more games in the regular season, but not that many more.

If he has more talent, then he should win the series.  I think he is saying the Spurs are a better team because they play better team defense.  It's not their individual skills, but the way they trap the ball handler and disrupt the offense, that makes them better.

Physically, the Suns are better athletes, I doubt Duncan could run down the floor with Stoudamire, but I'd still want Duncan in the post over Amare right now.

I'm not sure if the Suns are ready to take out the Spurs.  So far, it looks like San Antonio is just a little bit better, a bit more in control, a bit more poised.  A confident team is tough to beat. D'Antoni is just trying to build the confidence in his own squad.  If it pisses off San Antonio, it's not like they can play any better- he had nothing to loose, except make SA loyalists unhappy. 

They can't play any better?  I'd say keeping the Suns under 90 points would be playing better and they surely can do that.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 09:07:45 AM »
They didn't keep them under 90 last night, apparently D'Antoni's big mouthed, ill-advised "shot" at the Spurs did nothing to motivate the rather unexciting, unenethusiastic machine called the Spurs, they still take this series but not like that.

As much as this galls me to say, (actually it makes me sick to the deepest pit of my stomach) I have to agree, small ball will not beat the Suns. Now excuse me while I go wretch up my breakfast.
Dan