Author Topic: Carmelo apologizes to team  (Read 1174 times)

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Carmelo apologizes to team
« on: March 23, 2004, 11:40:53 AM »
MINNEAPOLIS - The day after refusing to play in the final stretch of a loss Friday night at Detroit, Nuggets rookie forward Carmelo Anthony apologized to his team.

Twice Friday night Anthony felt his teammates challenged his shot selection. After the second challenge Anthony said he would not go back into the game after a timeout with 6:16 remaining in the fourth quarter and the Nuggets trailing 83-68. The Pistons went on to win 94-75.

The Nuggets' leading scorer apologized Saturday during a film session at the team hotel, met privately with some teammates and then answered questions about the incident with The Denver Post.

"I apologized for quitting," said Anthony after Saturday's 45-minute practice at the Target Center, where the Nuggets play Minnesota today. "That's not me. That's not me. ... I never did that a day in my life."

Anthony said if he had gone back in, he "probably wouldn't have been the same because I was so rattled at the time." He added that he would not point fingers at someone "when things get thick" and he was not a selfish ballplayer.

"Frustration just took over," he said. "It totally took over me (Friday). I thought I was playing good. I was out there trying to do anything. And for someone to reward me with I'm shooting too much? It just gets frustrating."

Said Camby: "He'll be OK (today). He got 20 (shots). We're going to him. With that comes responsibility."

Paul

jn

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 11:57:40 AM »
I was wondering about this.  I don't understand what his problem is frankly.  He seemed to keep his head on straight and was making use of his talent until the All Star break then a sudden ego bloat seemed to happen.

For now I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he's only what, 20?  Still he definitely needs to reign in the attitude.  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 12:05:46 PM »
It's the KOBme attitude, it's infectious. These guys start believing all their hype.  Wish their were more players like Tim Duncan out there, competitors who are team oriented, and not worried about getting "thiers."
Paul

Guest_Randy

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 05:00:51 PM »
Umm, not quite like AI, he actually apologized.  When was the last time AI apologized to his teammates?  Not saying that Melo hasn't grown a big head but he isn't AI yet.  I was afraid this was happening to Melo before the year began and a reporter asked him if he would rather be the star on a bad team or a role player on a championship team -- he replied "the star anyday."  That's ego, IMO, but still not in the realm of AI.