Author Topic: Spurs beat Thuggets for 2-1  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs beat Thuggets for 2-1
« on: April 28, 2007, 10:40:41 PM »

Still not playing their best but definitely some good plays.

Bob Horrys blocks and treys.
Yes lurker Findawg is putting up Barrylike numbers.  Better D, but he still takes plays off big time.
A.I. may be getting his points, but so is Parker on many less shots.  Great floor game by Parker tonight.
Duncan still often looks soft and lost on O, but his D was very good.
Whole teams D was pretty good.

JR Smiths flagrant of Manu was digusting, but if you see MarshMellows Anthonys cheapshot to the back of GNobs head its just as bad.  Maybe worse.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Spurs beat Thuggets for 2-1
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 01:13:08 AM »
hmmm...seems like the "BETTER" team is now performing the way it should be performing... ::)

Now come on Warriors and pull off the REAL upset and knock Dallas out!!!  I don't see any other team standing in our way if that happens! :o :o :o

yeah what did that moron Denver post reporter write after game 1.  "Go, Spurs, go. And turn out the lights when you leave."

this is what makes beating Denver soo much more sweet, you just don't write garbage like this after ONE game, http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_5728864

It will be "Go Spurs Go, and please don't hurt us anymore!" pretty soon Denver. 8) 8) 8) 8)
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 11:51:55 AM »
Game 3 Stats (Iverson/Parker)

MIN 44:55  39:34
PTS 20  21
REB 2  4
AST 4  6
FG % 30.4  44.0

Maybe I should have said "Parker > Iverson" in the other thread....
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 06:57:29 PM »
Now come on Warriors and pull off the REAL upset and knock Dallas out!!!  I don't see any other team standing in our way if that happens! :o :o :o

How very "Denver" of you to overlook the Suns.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 08:01:15 PM »
Did you really put a Manu poster up?  I personally felt he made a number of mistakes, took a few ill advised shots, and got away with what should have been fouls/no calls for a stretch.  IMO he had alot more bad decisions then good decisions.

SA in the last part of the 4th is the reason why you have to consider them one of the front runners for the titlet his year.  That was great  playoff basketball on both sides of the ball.  Just pure execution, you've got to love it as a basketball fan.  I was very impressed with TP at the end.  His jumper was not falling and he decided to go to the rim.  Btw, that was not a traveling call on Parker...his pivot foot never moved.  Lame whinning by the Nuggets.

Clearly the Pistons and SA's defense looks to be in tip top shape early in the playoffs.  I think that is a bad sign for the rest of the teams in both conferences.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 08:08:50 PM »
Clearly the Pistons and SA's defense looks to be in tip top shape early in the playoffs.  I think that is a bad sign for the rest of the teams in both conferences.

I think you can add the Bulls to that list.  A very similar team to Detroit.  Both have strong team defense, "post" players who like the 3 pt line (Sheed/Nacioni), share the wealth offense.  I am looking forward to the Bulls/Pistons series.  Should be exciting.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 11:23:27 PM »

How very "Denver" of you to overlook the Suns.

Oh PLEEEEEEEEEASE WOW, we both know Denver is NOT championship quality!  ::) j/k

No, I just don't think Phoenix will beat us in a seven game series.  Dallas was the team to beat for us IMO.  As for Detroit or Chicago...Chicago is looking pretty impressive right now IMHO.  Detroit to me just doesn't have that punch they used to have, still though, I am looking forward to see the bulls take on the Pistons (i hope to see this atleast.) 
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 10:46:16 AM »
The Nuggets did not adjust to the Spurs defense as I hoped they would.  Either Karl figures out how the Nuggets should play against the Spurs effectively in the half-court, or this is over.

The Nuggets are relying too much on one on one ability and not team offensive strategy.  As a result the Spurs defense is producing enough turn-overs and misses to provide easy buckets for their offense.

The Nuggets also have little defensive capacity or at least haven't demonstrated it. I am surprised they aren't doing a better job of defending Duncan in the post.  The Spurs did a good job of adjusting to that after game 1.

Obviously, it is a must-win for Denver tonight, since going back to SA 3-1 is a recipe for disaster. They have yet to prove that they can win a close game against the Spurs.  So far, San Antonio is doing a much better job of executing under pressure. The Nuggets better find an answer quick or the series will be over.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 11:15:03 AM »
The Nuggets did not adjust to the Spurs defense as I hoped they would.  Either Karl figures out how the Nuggets should play against the Spurs effectively in the half-court, or this is over.

The Nuggets are relying too much on one on one ability and not team offensive strategy.  As a result the Spurs defense is producing enough turn-overs and misses to provide easy buckets for their offense.

The Nuggets also have little defensive capacity or at least haven't demonstrated it. I am surprised they aren't doing a better job of defending Duncan in the post.  The Spurs did a good job of adjusting to that after game 1.

Obviously, it is a must-win for Denver tonight, since going back to SA 3-1 is a recipe for disaster. They have yet to prove that they can win a close game against the Spurs.  So far, San Antonio is doing a much better job of executing under pressure. The Nuggets better find an answer quick or the series will be over.

I am going to have to point to defense as being the main problem.  They can afford to play 1 on 1 basketball with Melo and AI.  What they cannot afford to do is let Tony Parker get into the lane and have no real answer for Tim Duncan.  SA had no problem scoring in the closing part of the game.  Like Lurker said the other day Pop wasn't going to let up on this team after relaxing in that first game.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 12:12:36 PM »

I love 'must-win' games in play-off series. It makes them sound so dramatic.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 12:47:37 PM »
Could we be overlooking matchup problems in some of these series? What do the Warriors have over the Mavs? How could Chicago so easily knock off the Wade/Shaq combo in four games?

Can the Spurs really dominate a team like the Suns if they both make it to the same playoff series? There are some interesting thoughts on this topic by somewhat biased board members. Let's look at the season's head-to-head history.

Nov 9, in San Antonio, the Spurs win in overtime, 111 to 106, with, of all people, Fabricio Oberto leading the SA's to victory by not missing a shot in eleven tries from the floor, and adding 10 boards for his very first NBA double-double. Phoenix actually shot much better then the Spurs from the field, .495 compared to .420, but somehow managed (and this is NOT a misprint) SIX foul shots all game, including overtime, and making 4 of them. The Spurs made 22 of 25 foul shots.

The Suns fell to 1-4 at the time, the reverse of the 4-1 Spurs.

February 2, back in Phoenix, the Suns win 103-87, this time with Amare Stoudemire dominating the game with 24 points and 23 rebounds, making a different statement from the earlier game between the Suns and the Spurs. "The team that played those guys in early November is not even close to being the same team today," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said at the time. It should be noted that the Spurs had lost to the Jazz the night before, and the Suns style of play is not conducive to having a relaxing back-to-back challenge. The Spurs also shot only .390 from the floor while Phoenix was a bit better at .440 Foul shots favored the home town Suns  (23-27 to 17-19 for the Spurs)

April 2, in SA, the Spurs won 95 to 85, with Tony Parker scoring a season high 35 points, and Tim Duncan adding 22 points and 10 rebounds. Only Nash of the Sun starters was able to score close to his normal amount, putting up 20. An interesting side note - both teams shot poorly from the line; the Suns were a decent .704 (19-27), and the Spurs were a dismal .606 (20-33). However, the Spurs held the Suns to only .386 shooting from the field, as the Suns held the Spurs to .418.

I would not say the Spurs have the Suns number by any means from all this, though the Suns having home court could matter. These teams have faced off enough in past playoff series that common knowledge of one another cannot necessarily be factored into it in any meaningful way. The health of Stoudemire could be very important in this series. I cannot see any way a series between these teams goes less then six games, probably seven, in which case the Suns would have the slightest of edges being home for it. 

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 12:55:41 PM »
Obviously, it is a must-win for Denver tonight, since going back to SA 3-1 is a recipe for disaster. They have yet to prove that they can win a close game against the Spurs.  So far, San Antonio is doing a much better job of executing under pressure. The Nuggets better find an answer quick or the series will be over.
Denver won a close Gm 1 with plenty of incompetence from Duncan.
GM 1 in San Antone Denver 28-23 4th qtr.
80-77 with 5 minutes and Denver ran off 7 straight for 10 pt lead 87-77.
87-83 after SuperBob Horry drained a three.

From there on AI, Marshmello and Hilario swished every single FT.

Gms 2 and 3 Spurs certainly won the stretch run battle.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 01:05:04 PM »
Could we be overlooking matchup problems in some of these series? What do the Warriors have over the Mavs? How could Chicago so easily knock off the Wade/Shaq combo in four games?

I think DWade's health had alot to do with the Heat being swept.  I remember the last time the Lakers got bounced from the playoffs by the Spurs, the Lakers would be in the game late and you expected Kobe to be Kobe and close out the game but he was hurt in the previous series vs the Wolves that required surgery in the offseason, same with the Heat, you would expect DWade to close but it was obvious he just isn't the same right now.  Unless they upgrade their roster I don't expect the Heat to come out of the East next year either.

Can the Spurs really dominate a team like the Suns if they both make it to the same playoff series? There are some interesting thoughts on this topic by somewhat biased board members. Let's look at the season's head-to-head history.

I think it's going to be a very interesting series, two very distinct styles of B-Ball, IMO the Spurs should win this series because their defense will be a constant and the Suns 3-point shooting will not.  IMO the Mavs SHOULD have been the biggest obstacle to the Spurs cause they play just enough defense to keep the Spurs in check while their powerfull offense pushed them past the Spurs.  The Mavs COULD still be the main obstacle IF they get out of the 1st round but that is looking shaky.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 02:48:26 PM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 01:09:54 PM »
What do the Warriors have over the Mavs? How could Chicago so easily knock off the Wade/Shaq combo in four games?

Speed and hustle is the answer to both questions.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 01:54:31 PM »
Iverson to a lesser degree and especially Marshmello seem like they have little interest if they are not having hands on the ball.  I'm waiting to see if Carmela gets slapped upside the head if the Thuggets continue their cheapshottery.  Spurs might have to unleash Brent Barry and let him go Lakewood on him.

Someone want to photochop Barrys head in place of Als?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 01:58:21 PM by Reality »