Author Topic: OT - 300  (Read 1595 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
OT - 300
« on: March 11, 2007, 11:47:22 PM »
OMG I loved this movie.  I just got back from watching it on IMAX - I love that new IMAX theater they opened here the digital picture is excellent!!  Anyone else seen this movie yet? 
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT - 300
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 09:18:42 AM »
Yes.....yes I have.  And it was amazing! 

First of all I knew that the movie was going to have to try pretty hard to suck for me not to like it since I already love learning and reading about that historical era (Sparta, Greece, Battle of Marathon, Peloponessian War, etc.) so I went in with a substantial set of expectations and the movie blew those away. 

I'm sure the IMAX helped, but I saw it in the regular theatre and the visual genius displayed by the Directors and Graphic Animators shown through even there.  I also loved the idealism of the movie, an old Babylon 5 quote from G'Kar in the episode "Late Delivery from Avalon" coins the experience perfectly for me.

"They're the bad guys and we're the good guys; and they made a very satisfying THUMP when they hit the ground"

Absolutely loved the flick, I'd say must see for anyone.  Although do mind taking the little ones, since they're not kidding about the R rating.

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 10:37:05 AM »
Yeah, it was a little bit different from historical referrence but it still ended up being a great movie.  It really draws you into the life that Spartans lived, strong men, strong women, you have one job - being a warrrior for your city state.  Man...I gotta go see that film again I think before it comes off the IMAX.

The fight scenes were insane!  I loved the way it displayed their team work.  I don't know about Xerxes [sp?] being like 7 feet tall, but hey it works for the story.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 11:07:33 AM »
Yeah, it was a little bit different from historical referrence but it still ended up being a great movie.  It really draws you into the life that Spartans lived, strong men, strong women, you have one job - being a warrrior for your city state.  Man...I gotta go see that film again I think before it comes off the IMAX.

The fight scenes were insane!  I loved the way it displayed their team work.  I don't know about Xerxes [sp?] being like 7 feet tall, but hey it works for the story.

Yeah, well, you know how ancient historians tended to exaggerate feats of bravery and the numbers that fell and fought in famous battles.

For instance, I have it on good authority that this battle actually took place in the back of a cat house between five Spartan warriors on leave and twenty Turks who were tired of waiting their turn.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 11:28:23 AM »
Anybody see it in DLP?  Seems that this movie was made for that technology.  Looked alot like Sin City visual effects.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 12:21:33 PM »
The Palladium IMAX they just built here is suppossedly digital...at least that's what it advertises before the film starts.  Pretty nice experience, being in a theatre with a Greak theme and watching 300 on a huge screen. 

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 01:05:45 PM »
this site is pretty cool to see the comparison between the film and the comic...

http://www.solaceincinema.com/2006/10/04/300-comic-to-screen-comparison/