Author Topic: OT- How does Brian Westbrook NOT get selected to the Pro-Bowl?  (Read 1846 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
OT- How does Brian Westbrook NOT get selected to the Pro-Bowl?
« on: December 20, 2006, 01:50:56 PM »
Would you take Frank Gore, Tiki Barber and Steven Jackson ahead of Westbrook?  Outside of QB, Westbrook is the most important Eagle to the offense,  even when he doesn't have the ball, he draws defenders away from his teamates.  Although he has fewer carries, he has scored more TD's and has a higher yards per carry average.

Philadelphia is 3rd in the league in total offense. Westbrook is a big part of that contributing over 1600 yards rushing and recieving (so far)

I have tremendous respect for Tiki, but I would take Brian instead without a thought.  Gore and Jackson are good players but I wouldn't trade Brian for either of them.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: OT- How does Brian Westbrook NOT get selected to the Pro-Bowl?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 02:05:18 PM »
Would you take Frank Gore, Tiki Barber and Steven Jackson ahead of Westbrook?  Outside of QB, Westbrook is the most important Eagle to the offense,  even when he doesn't have the ball, he draws defenders away from his teamates.  Although he has fewer carries, he has scored more TD's and has a higher yards per carry average.

Philadelphia is 3rd in the league in total offense. Westbrook is a big part of that contributing over 1600 yards rushing and recieving (so far)

I have tremendous respect for Tiki, but I would take Brian instead without a thought.  Gore and Jackson are good players but I wouldn't trade Brian for either of them.

I can understand loyalty to your player, and believe me, Westbrook is a terrific player.

But I would shoot any pissant Niner executive who would even CONSIDER putting Frank Gore in any trade scenario for Westbrook straight up. Gore did not gain nearly 1500 yards this year because his O-line is all that good. Gore has MADE that O-line LOOK that good.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 04:44:25 PM »
Frank Gore and Stephen Jackson deserve to be in there, no question, period!

Between Westbrook and Barber (although close in production and style), I give it to Westbrook for the humongous difference in TDs.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 05:20:55 PM »
Rubbish.  Jackson and Gore are playing on teams that won't even make the playoffs.  Jackson's yards per attempt are way lower than Westbrooks.

If the 49'ers traded for Westbrook he'd be the best back they've had since Ricky Waters.  Gore has 6 TD's, Jackson has 10.  Westbrook has 11.

The best players are the ones that deserve to go, the ones that make their teams playoff contenders.  Westbrook is the better player, period.  He does more things on the field, and drives defensive coordinators nuts trying to find ways to stop him. 

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 06:38:47 PM »
Gore and Jackson deserved it.  Westbrook had a better year than Tiki, but Tiki has more name recognition.

Westbrook:
84 russhing yards/game
5.1 yards/carry
51 receiving yards/game
135 yards/game total
11 td's

Barber:
96.9 rushing yards/game
4.7 yards/carry
30 receiving yards/game
126.9 yards/game total
2 TD's

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 06:45:27 PM »
Rubbish.  Jackson and Gore are playing on teams that won't even make the playoffs.  Jackson's yards per attempt are way lower than Westbrooks.

If the 49'ers traded for Westbrook he'd be the best back they've had since Ricky Waters.  Gore has 6 TD's, Jackson has 10.  Westbrook has 11.

The best players are the ones that deserve to go, the ones that make their teams playoff contenders.  Westbrook is the better player, period.  He does more things on the field, and drives defensive coordinators nuts trying to find ways to stop him. 

Like I said, Westbrook is a terrific player, but please consider, this is his fifth season and fourth as a starter, and he is getting his first 1,000 rushing season now. He is also more comparible to Roger Craig then Ricky Watters anyway, as a quarter of his touches are receptions, while Gore is more of a runner then receiver and Watters had some conflicts that neither Craig nor Westbrook share.

Gore is in his second season, will probably surpass Garrison Hearst's San Francisco seasonal record total for rushing yards, and, BTW has SEVEN touchdowns, not six. He also ran over Division leader Seattle for a team record 212 yards in their first meeting this season. No problem - Seattle just put nine in the box to force Alex Smith to beat them the second time up in their place. This worked until it didn't, and Gore ran for another 144.

I like Westbrook, but why would you consider him better then Gore? It is not like there is consistency in the SF attack from the quarterback position yet, while the Eagles had McNabb and now a very efficient Garcia running their offense. Without Gore (and <shudder> if Kevan Barlow was still starting for the Niners), do you really think there would be talk about the playoffs yet in San Francisco?

Gore is the real deal. He plays hard, he literally lives at the Niner compound in San Mateo (his apartment is next door), he cries when he feels teammates are not playing hard enough, and he makes an average offensive line play harder then they did for Barlow, who could not get three yards a carry with a shotgun up his arse.

Do you know why Gore was drafted in the third round? He tore his ACL in both his knees while in college at Miami. Before that, he was considered the best running back recruit in the nation the year he graduated from high school. But with his knee injuries, most teams gave him a pass. You don't work so hard and come so far so fast by being an average guy. Gore deserves going to the pro bowl as much as anyone in the NFC.

You might notice that he averages better then Westbrook on his rushes as well. That is not because he is faster, which he might be, but because he is that good after the initial hit. His problem was that in his first couple of games starting this year, he fumbled the ball and unfortunately those came close to the goal line as he was trying to score. As a result, his touchdowns may not number as many as Westbrooks, but they should increase with time.

Westbrook is the ideal back for the west coast offense and he makes his job worthy of that by putting up the right numbers in it. Gore is being noticed for what he is, a back who makes other teams cringe because they know they should stop him and essentially stop the Niners, but instead he has gotten better as the season has gone on.

The Pro Bowl in the right conclusion for what he has accomplished this year.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 02:06:46 PM »
I put Westbrook above Gore because the Eagles wouldn't be a playoff contender without him.  Keep in mind that they are winning with a back-up QB, (a pretty good one, you're familliar with!)  And a defense that was hobbled when Kearse went down for the season.

The Eagles have the third-ranked offense in the league and Westbrook is responsible for half of those.  Take him away, and there'd be no reason to be talking about the Eagles challenging for the division.  He means that much to the team.

He's only gained a thousand this year because Andy Reid doesn't like to run the ball.  If he had his way, the Eagles would throw on 70% of their plays.  When they had that miscreant TO on the team, that's the way they played, and Westbrook was simply there to give the defense something to worry about.

Their inability to stop opponents on defense has forced Andy to use ball control  a bit more, keeping the ball out of the other teams hands.  So Westbrook who has 1600 yards and 11 touchdowns, a former Pro-bowler and NFC confrence champ doesn't get to be in the pro-bowl in his best year?

It may not be Gore's fault, but it isn't right.

And if the Niners had Westbrook instead of Gore, Westbrook would break down from the pounding.  But if they used him like they used Craig in the same backfield, SF would be in the playoffs.