Author Topic: NFL  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
NFL
« on: December 25, 2006, 01:04:28 PM »

WooHooWoo!  13-2 and shot at Homefield thruout can be accomplished with win at home vs Denny Green Arizona next week.
Bandwaggoners are welcome.

I predict rt and dabods will become closet Jeff Garcia jersey wearers if he leads them to victory over Dallas today.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 03:14:42 PM by Reality »

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: NFL
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 08:51:05 AM »
Garcia is the best backup QB in the league.  There are some teams out there who now realize that they COULD have gotten Jeff, but instead have to limp through the season with a guy who can't play the position as well.

Yesterday, the Eagles dominated the Cowboys in a game that really mattered to both.  It's clear the Eagles are the class of the NFC East, but it isn't clear if that's enough to do anything in the playoffs.

We'll have to see how well they do against Chicago, who stands between the Eagles and another possible Super Bowl appearance.

How many teams come back to the Super Bowl within 2 years with a different QB?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 06:54:02 PM »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 02:54:17 PM »
What people tend to forget is that Jeff Garcia was recruited to San Francisco out of the Canadian League by none other then Bill Walsh. Then, Bill watched as Garcia went to three pro bowls in a row.

It is a great argument for how good Garcia can be, but an even a greater argument to what was the biggest rift between Walsh and Montana during their time together - that the system (Walsh's) makes the player (in this case, the quarterbacks) rather then the player works the system all that well. Garcia is the ideal guy to run the Westcoast Offense, which the Eagles favor. In Cleveland and Detroit, both offenses were ill-suited to Garcia and it showed. Philadelphia fits his talents like a glove, and with their running game, Jeff can flourish, keeping the ball out of the hands of the opposition. This is a key factor in the Eagles' recent success. Getting and maintaining a lead and keeping their own defense fresh and on the sidelines for extended periods.

Walsh made this type of system, with the right personel, the dominant offense of the 1980's, and the Eagles are showing it still can be effective with that type of player available to run it.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 04:38:59 PM »
Garcia probably looked washed up with his previous teams because during his last year with the Niners the offensive line had little talent and was devasted by injuries, Cleveland had little talent at receiver or running back and the Lions, of course, would make ANY quarterback look bad.

I officially started hating TO when he threw Garcia under the bus out in San Fran.  Garcia was running for his life behind that awful offensive line and TO publicly questioned him and dogged it on passes thrown to him.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 05:15:50 PM »
Ah yes, the Terrell Owens factor. He hinted about Garcia's sexuality before, or just after, T.O. left the Niners. Garcia, BTW, was dating a playboy playmate at the time. Still might be, I don't know.

I watched the Eagle/Cowboy game this past weekend. What a joy that was. Philadelphia never looked threatened and as been his habit this season, some Owens misplays help the opposition win the game. I think, including this game, that makes at least three games this season that T.O. miscues almost directly led to the Cowboys losing.

Donavan McNabb and Jeff Garcia must be silently applauding the doofus' mistakes.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."