Poll

From this list who would you most want on your team

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Unsung players  (Read 2721 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Unsung players
« on: March 18, 2004, 01:34:11 AM »
I am sure I missed some, but these are all players who have a significant impact on good teams (except Kenny Thomas, but this is a Philly Board).  So on your team which one would you most like to have and why?  If you already have one (BBF and Manu for example) pick whoever you want.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Unsung players
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 01:40:08 AM »
Yes I picked Theo.  He is a bit one dimensional, but he does that one dimension pretty well.  He has really made a big difference in Portland, a lot more than I thought he would.  His defense has been huge.

As far as the others
I like Barry I think he is highly underrated.  Adding him to our backcourt would be a great deal.
Kittles I believe is hugely underrated.  He has no real weakness for a shooting guard, rarely makes mistakes, plays smart.  Kidd gets all the press, but Kittles being healthy has a lot to do with the Nets resurgence.  I do like Manu and Mobley as well.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Unsung players
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 09:59:50 AM »
I'd probably have to go with Bobby Jackson.

But I will have to say, KT's gotta get some props.  His post all-star break #'s (17 pts, 12.5 boards, 48% shooting) would be getting national pub had he  been on a playoff bound team making a push.

jn

Unsung players
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 10:05:30 AM »
I'm going with the two at the top, Kittles and PJ.  PJ is just plain solid.  He's the ideal player for any team with multiple scorers.   He doesn't need to get his to be effective.  

I like Kittles for the same reason I like Richard Jefferson and Wally and the same reason I used to like Worthy and Byron Scott.  I just love guys who bust up court on the wing every play looking for transition baskets.  He's been underrated in large part because of all the injuries earlier in his career, but he has been healthy enough lately.

I don't think Bobby J and Cuttino qualify as underrated anymore.  There talents are well known and appreciated.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Unsung players
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 11:11:24 AM »
It would depend on what my team needs.  If I needed a big man I would take PJ over Ratliff or Thomas.  In fact I wanted the Spurs to pursue PJ last summer as a FA.

If I needed a guard I would take Jackson or Manu.  They both bring a lot of energy to the floor and disrupt the other team defensively.  At the same time they can each heat up and score in bunches.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

Unsung players
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 12:57:03 PM »
It would depend on what my team needs.  If I needed a big man I would take PJ over Ratliff or Thomas.  In fact I wanted the Spurs to pursue PJ last summer as a FA.

If I needed a guard I would take Jackson or Manu.  They both bring a lot of energy to the floor and disrupt the other team defensively.  At the same time they can each heat up and score in bunches.
I think you need to further define it -- if you need a shooter, then you don't want Manu.  Manu is a scorer, not a shooter.  Bobby Jackson is both of those things and both are very good defenders.  If Manu wants to become a star in this league, he will develop his outside shot -- it's whats missing in his game.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Unsung players
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 01:00:13 PM »
With the lack of an interior defensive force, I have to go with Radcliff. But with Adelman, he probably would not get more then five minutes on the court per game.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Unsung players
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 01:35:37 PM »
Malik Rose or Bobby Jackson would be my pics.  Both are GREAT bench players.  Both play hard.  Bobby is a little more offensive minded and can score well when he gets hot.  Rose is much more defensivev minded and gets most of his points in the paint and off offensive rebounds.  The Lakers really could use Malik moreso than Bobby but I like Jackson's energy off the bench.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Unsung players
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 01:48:52 PM »
Touche' WestKoast, although I would gladly give up Jackson's energy off the bench for Rose's defense. LA doesn't need scoring, they need a defensive spark, they already have talented defensive players but Malik off the bench for Malone would ignite that intensity that is lacking right now.
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Unsung players
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 02:04:42 PM »
Touche' WestKoast, although I would gladly give up Jackson's energy off the bench for Rose's defense. LA doesn't need scoring, they need a defensive spark, they already have talented defensive players but Malik off the bench for Malone would ignite that intensity that is lacking right now.
The bench could use his help scoring and def need his speed to keep up with some of the quicker guards.  Fish isnt as hard to guard as Jackson is IMO.  Not at least until he starts nailing his outside shots like he was 2 years.

You are right tho...and pretty much that is what I meant but the way I worded it made it sound like I wanted Bobby more.  Malik would be better addition IMO.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com