Poll

Who was the best rookie, at age 18?

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Garnett, Kobe, LeBron  (Read 3108 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Garnett, Kobe, LeBron
« on: March 17, 2004, 12:41:43 AM »
Who was the best of these 3 high schoolers when they came out of high school?
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Garnett, Kobe, LeBron
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 12:48:09 AM »
No contest, King James!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Garnett, Kobe, LeBron
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 01:09:37 AM »
No contest, King James!
Yup...even tho he gets more playing time he came out the gate smoking.  KG/Kobe wouldn't have been able to make an impact like that so quickly.....partially because of how their body was.  James is some kind of super teenage mutant.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
Garnett, Kobe, LeBron
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 09:10:39 AM »
Do you think James might have used steroids? Do high school teams routinely test for that sort of thing?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Garnett, Kobe, LeBron
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 11:07:17 AM »
Do you think James might have used steroids? Do high school teams routinely test for that sort of thing?
Yes i think he might use roids or HGH or whatever growth tonic.

Screening, aha ha ha.  Even at the Olympic level if you have the right dope man you can beat any test.  And I think James has been able to afford a good doper for quite a while....

Maybe he is Mr Iron Pumper Geneticly Blessed, who knows....

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Garnett, Kobe, LeBron
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 11:18:01 AM »
Need to take a look at his family, see if their HUGE too.
Paul

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Garnett, Kobe, LeBron
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 10:06:49 PM »
Sorry, but those of you who voted for Lebron are waaaay off base, the kid has proved NOTHING yet except that he is having a good rookie season in a pathetic conference. How about we wait to include him in a poll until after hat least his sophomore year and he is still playing at that level?

To me Kobe wins this one because he has the jewelry, and he is a HUGE reason the Lakers won 3 in a row, and he has had an impact from day 1 and it lasted beyond the rookie season.
Dan

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Garnett, Kobe, LeBron
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 11:04:43 AM »
Sorry, but those of you who voted for Lebron are waaaay off base, the kid has proved NOTHING yet except that he is having a good rookie season in a pathetic conference. How about we wait to include him in a poll until after hat least his sophomore year and he is still playing at that level?

To me Kobe wins this one because he has the jewelry, and he is a HUGE reason the Lakers won 3 in a row, and he has had an impact from day 1 and it lasted beyond the rookie season.
But we are comparing ONLY rookie seasons.  So I don't believe Kobe won 3 rings in his rookie season.  Also it shouldn't matter what happens in your second season.  Comparing rookie seasons only....who would you pick?  

IMO James has had more impact as a rookie than Kobe did.  For one thing Kobe as an 18 year old rookie was NOT expected to lead his team...the behemoth was.  James is expected to be the leader of his team.  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Garnett, Kobe, LeBron
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 11:18:18 AM »
I guess that is a good point, I misunderstood the poll BBF, but even at that I would still vote for Garnett over James
Dan

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
Garnett, Kobe, LeBron
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 01:05:03 PM »

But we are comparing ONLY rookie seasons.  So I don't believe Kobe won 3 rings in his rookie season.  Also it shouldn't matter what happens in your second season.  Comparing rookie seasons only....who would you pick?  

IMO James has had more impact as a rookie than Kobe did.  For one thing Kobe as an 18 year old rookie was NOT expected to lead his team...the behemoth was.  James is expected to be the leader of his team.
I think you are comparing apples and oranges though -- I don't think you can compare a player who IS the frachise player as a rookie with players who AREN'T the franchise player.  James has certainly proven himself as a rookie but at this point, he has a better shot from outside than I thought he did but he still doesn't play any D.  I'm not saying that James is a good shooter from the arch (he really needs to work on that shot -- he is streaky at times) but he does have a mid-range shot (that needs a little work too).  I think it's too early to call him a superstar -- he still needs to show that he will improve next year over this year -- that is something that Kobe and KG did and James hasn't shown that he will yet.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Garnett, Kobe, LeBron
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004, 02:02:07 PM »

I think you are comparing apples and oranges though -- I don't think you can compare a player who IS the frachise player as a rookie with players who AREN'T the franchise player.  James has certainly proven himself as a rookie but at this point, he has a better shot from outside than I thought he did but he still doesn't play any D.  I'm not saying that James is a good shooter from the arch (he really needs to work on that shot -- he is streaky at times) but he does have a mid-range shot (that needs a little work too).  I think it's too early to call him a superstar -- he still needs to show that he will improve next year over this year -- that is something that Kobe and KG did and James hasn't shown that he will yet.
Reading comprehension, Randy....you still need work.

I never called James a superstar.

Comparing rookie years...the issue at point...has nothing to do with improving in the future.  Future years are no longer rookie years.  Kobe's rings, playoff success and development as a clutch player have no bearing on a discussion about his rookie year.  Talk about apples and oranges.

Kobe & Garnett each needed to improve on things also.  But if you look at just ROOKIE YEAR contributions...especially in light of expectations...then James has far surpassed Kobe.  Garnett & James both excelled as the FOCAL point of their franchises.  Kobe as a rookie was not even a starter.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues