Author Topic: Absolutely Scathing Commentary on Knicks...  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Absolutely Scathing Commentary on Knicks...
« on: November 28, 2006, 10:32:37 AM »
...so of course I found it hilarious. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paying a steep price

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
November 28, 2006

NEW YORK – As losers go, Stephon Marbury rates among the biggest in basketball history. Everyone kept waiting for him to change, but he never did. And never will. To find a presence as eroding as Marbury, one as self-absorbed and cynical and a better bet to suck the selflessness out of a locker room, is downright impossible.

"A walking rain cloud," an ex-teammate once described him to me.

This isn't much of a revelation in the league, but Isiah Thomas is finding out the hard way about the corrosive consequences of coaching Marbury. After a decade in the NBA, Marbury still refers to a mythical third person, a character of some sort, named "Starbury." For two years with the New York Knicks, when things aren't going his way, he keeps promising Starbury's return to the court.

Around New York, this isn't considered a promise as much it is a threat.

Suddenly, Thomas no longer is Marbury's front office savior but rather another coach wrongly imprisoning his greatness. Marbury responded to his reduced minutes by refusing to take a shot last Saturday night against the Chicago Bulls, something of a hunger strike by a fat man.

The Knicks have lost 10 of 15 games to start the season, Steve Francis' knees are shot, and Marbury is holding true to character. His is forever the disposition of the angry young man, a rebel with only one cause: his own. There was Marbury on the bench for the fourth quarter Saturday, framed with the classic pose of the failed franchise player – draping a towel over his head, refusing to cheer teammates and moping to the bitter buzzer.

Thomas swapped short-term maximum contracts for longer ones, stacking them higher and higher, a shell game that's left him with a dysfunctional backcourt of Starbury and Stevie Franchise.

These are two broken-down guards who ought to serve as cautionary tales for owners and executives contemplating the doling out of max deals. Delivered to the wrong players, they're crippling to franchises. With the wrong players, you're held hostage.

Here are the rules of awarding max-out contracts. Your $90 to $100 million man must do one of two things, if not preferably both.

Win championships.

Or sell tickets.

Tim Duncan wins titles. Vince Carter sells tickets. Kobe Bryant does both.

Now, you don't have to win a championship. You just have to be capable with the right coach and the right teammates. Jason Kidd is a championship-level player, but Kenyon Martin was a max-out bust before his knee ever blew up this month.

New Jersey Nets president Rod Thorn never wanted to indulge Martin's max-contract desires in 2004, believing he never fit the profile. "[The max deal] was meant for the Shaqs, the Garnetts, the Kidds," Thorn said.

They belong to All-World players, not All-Stars.

As the Knicks have discovered in the locker room, when you give not only that money but also that clout to a bad act, you never stop paying the price. From his days with the Nets until now, Marbury has divided locker rooms and crushed chemistry. The max-out is the purest form of street cred on the court because that's how management and players keep score. In the wrong hands, it's pure destruction. For better or worse, it's the truest captaincy.

So now, Marbury is feigning confusion over Thomas' pass-first directives, the way he did under the deposed Larry Brown. Somehow, he doesn't understand his coach's orders unless it includes 20 shots a night for him.

Isiah deserves Starbury, deserves him to the end. To start holding him accountable – declaring as Thomas did Monday that there will be "consequences" for Marbury failing to follow his coach's orders – is far too late in the president's failed New York regime to find religion with him.

From the time he traded for and extended Marbury's contract in January 2004, Thomas has enabled the guard's petulant act through coach after coach. Having gone to the bench, he has discovered the truth: There's no winning with the ball in Starbury's hands, with a franchise's fortunes flowing through him.

Thomas' coaching run with the Knicks promises to end the way it long has been destined to end: collapsing under the weight of his contracts, under the excesses of his own ego. The Knicks could've survived with Marbury's max contract, but Thomas paraded some of the worst modern max-out deals in NBA history through the Garden – Penny Hardaway and Antonio Davis, Steve Francis and Jalen Rose – and the Knicks never recovered.

Detroit Pistons general manager Joe Dumars still hasn't awarded a max contract, but he won the 2004 NBA championship and made it to a Game 7 a year later. This year, he refused to overpay to keep Ben Wallace, a move that is looking shrewder and shrewder. Next summer, Dumars has suggested that Chauncey Billups, an NBA Finals MVP, is worthy of that ultimate Pistons investment. Billups probably will come in just south of a max-out, but the Pistons won't lose him.

Once, Pistons owner Bill Davidson had a chance to hire Thomas. Davidson decided to wait for Thomas' backcourt mate, Dumars, to retire and pass the franchise over to him. As construction of contenders goes, those old Detroit Bad Boys stand in complete contrast.

For now, Thomas is trying to take bows for the earnest complementary cast he has assembled through the draft, including David Lee, Nate Robinson and Renaldo Balkman. Only, they have no one to complement. Thomas ultimately is doomed for the hundreds of millions of dollars invested in his flawed core.

Still, it started with Starbury. Thomas will get what he deserves from his franchise player, his chosen one, and it's been a long time coming: A maxed-out hell of a winter punctuated with a one-way ticket out of the Garden.

Adrian Wojnarowski is the national NBA columnist for Yahoo! Sports.

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Absolutely Scathing Commentary on Knicks...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 11:03:25 AM »
It seems like this kind of article comes up very often!  Not quite as harsh as this one but it has come up in Minny, NJ, and now in NY.  Guess no one gets it or that it was pretty much the point of this article, Isiah doesn't get it!

I don't wish ill on anyone but I am somewhat glad that this team is blowing up in Isiah's face this season.  Maybe it is the corporate worker bee in myself that secretly loves the fact that for ONCE an upper management guy is getting blamed for decisions he made even though it is not in the company I work for.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 11:25:43 AM »
I can't STAND Stephon Marbury -- he's been a headcase from the time he entered the league but I REALLY have a difficult time with trying to pin all of the Knicks problems on Starbury.  This article seems to be trying to remove all of Isaiah's culpability in the Knicks mess and while Marbury DOES deserve some of the fault, Isaiah deserves far more credit than Marbury. 

Isaiah took Marbury -- one of the highest paid PG's in the league and then added another of the highest PG's in the league.  The Knicks now have two of the highest paid stat-padding PG's in the league -- do EITHER of these two players play defense?  Nope!  Can either play SG?  Nope!

But before I spend all of my time talking about Isaiah's mistakes in the point guard position -- there is certainly more to focus on:
The Center position -- James!  Curry!
The Power Forward Position -- how many overpaid, short PF do the Knicks need?
SF/SG -- see above!

Isaiah has thrown lots of money at marginal players without any thought at all to chemistry, team abilities and team fit -- I don't even think that many NBA fans would put together such a helter-skelter team. 

Marbury IS a problem but Isaiah is the root -- he learned NOTHING from the mistakes of the Portland Trailblazers -- he didn't even learn anything from the Knicks past failures when they signed Houston and Spree to incredibly high salaries when they couldn't find a way to put them on the court at the same time.  Isaiah is an egomaniac and it will take YEARS for the Knicks to get out of the hole that Isaiah leaves them in (after he gets fired at the end of the year!).

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 11:30:59 AM »
Watching the Knicks is like watching a train wreck.  You recognize it as being dreadful and terrible and tragic, but there's a bit of you that's excited by seeing all the mangled bodies.

Fact of the matter is that Larry Brown WAS RIGHT.  Brown wanted to blow up the team, and that was exactly what needed to be done.

The sad state of things is that currently, New York is 1 game back of the #4 seed, and 1 game back of the #8 seed, despite being on course to win only 27 games.  Equally disturbing is the fact that New York is 1-6 at home, but 4-4 on the road, making them the third best road team in the East (behind Detroit and Orlando).  And New York is not exactly lacking TALENT - they're lacking cohesiveness.

New York can turn things around, but I don't think they can do it with Isiah Thomas as their coach.  And I do think that a lot of the redundant talent needs to go - Francis, Marbury, Robinson, and Crawford all play essentially the same position the same (wrong) way.  Fix that one problem, and New York could turn things around.

Now is the time to steal an Earl Watson, or a Chris Duhon, or a Brevin Knight, or an Eric Snow - someone who puts the team in front of their own selfish interest and runs the point AS a point.  Isiah the GM can save Isiah the coach.  He's just going to have to get a different kind of point guard than he's used to acquiring - a point guard that is NOTHING like the point guard that Isiah Thomas used to be.  Thomas could get away with being the way he was because he was teamed with Joe Dumars - whose unselfish tendencies offset Thomas's selfish ones.  But there are no Joe Dumars-type players available for acquisition;  everyone who has one (and there are very few of those - Hinrich, Hamilton, Hill, Wade, and Martin are about all that come to mind) recognizes the value in them, and won't trade them for love nor money.  Isiah Thomas the player couldn't save Isiah Thomas the coach - and that's what Isiah Thomas the GM needs to realize.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 12:29:06 PM »
I can't STAND Stephon Marbury -- he's been a headcase from the time he entered the league but I REALLY have a difficult time with trying to pin all of the Knicks problems on Starbury.  This article seems to be trying to remove all of Isaiah's culpability in the Knicks mess and while Marbury DOES deserve some of the fault, Isaiah deserves far more credit than Marbury.

Thomas ultimately is doomed for the hundreds of millions of dollars invested in his flawed core.

Still, it started with Starbury. Thomas will get what he deserves from his franchise player, his chosen one, and it's been a long time coming: A maxed-out hell of a winter punctuated with a one-way ticket out of the Garden.

Randy, I took this article to be ABOUT Thomas, not so much Marbury. No one else in the world would have given that selfish prig a max out, but Thomas, who buried the Knicks in red ink for the next decade and, as Wojnarowski stated, "Thomas ultimately is doomed for the hundreds of millions of dollars invested in his flawed core."

Marbury is what he is. If a fool like Thomas could not recognize that, the onus is clearly on the idiot who patronizes selfish players, not so much the player. A Marbury can be neutralized simply by pulling a Sprewell or a Bonzi Wells on him. Players who hold out for their "max" dollars suddenly find that 'feeding their families' has become a privilege and not a guarantee.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 12:30:37 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 12:49:40 PM »

Thomas ultimately is doomed for the hundreds of millions of dollars invested in his flawed core.

Randy, I took this article to be ABOUT Thomas, not so much Marbury. No one else in the world would have given that selfish prig a max out, but Thomas, who buried the Knicks in red ink for the next decade and, as Wojnarowski stated, "Thomas ultimately is doomed for the hundreds of millions of dollars invested in his flawed core."

Marbury is what he is. If a fool like Thomas could not recognize that, the onus is clearly on the idiot who patronizes selfish players, not so much the player. A Marbury can be neutralized simply by pulling a Sprewell or a Bonzi Wells on him. Players who hold out for their "max" dollars suddenly find that 'feeding their families' has become a privilege and not a guarantee.

I guess I read too many "Marbury" comments into this story.  The thing is, Marbury is simply being Marbury -- he hasn't changed -- he's the same player now as he was with the TWolves and the Suns.  However, Marbury is just the biggest chump on an incredibly chump team -- it's like Isaiah wanted to put together the "Chumps" (screaming "Chumps assemble" -- sorry, my comic book days get the best of me at times) of all time -- trying to outdo the Jailblazers for the greatest set of chumps ever assembled in the NBA!

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 02:17:31 PM »
Isn't this really a story about the Knicks upper level management and their love affair with Isiah Thomas? 

The Knicks deserve to suck.  They deserve it because they continue to back the wrong man, who continues to make bad decisions, compounding his errors.

Larry Brown was right, he knew what needed to be done and in his own way had started the process.  Isiah and the Knick management did not like being upstaged by Brown, but they should have allowed him to blow up and rebuild the team.

If they did, in another few years the Knicks would have been on top of the Atlantic, and the fans would already have something to look forward to, watching him Brown build a team.  Brown knows how to build winning teams, and he recognizes very quickly which players will work to fit into his schemes, and which ones will go their own way at the cost of teamwork and success.

The common thread through all of this is the owners of the Knicks.  They need someone in the upper levels who cares enough about basketball and is knowledgeable enough to know who to listen to and realize that when Brown speaks, you should listen and when Isiah speaks you should tell him to shut up.

Larry Brown could have saved the Knicks, but they were too stupid to let him.  They get what they deserve.