Author Topic: JoMaL, what is your take on the new coach so far?  (Read 833 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
JoMaL, what is your take on the new coach so far?
« on: October 18, 2006, 12:29:20 PM »
I am curious about your take on Eric so far after a couple of pre-season games.  Obviously this came to me last night while I was watching the Kings/Lakers game.  Few things I noticed, not sure if you agree or if this was just a one game deal..

1) Their defense has continued to improve like it was at the end of last season.  There was some great traps last night and I think Eric was making the right calls when to use it and when not to use it.  Really confused the heck out of the Laker squad for the most part.

2) Their offense just does not seem as fluid.  Not sure what to chalk that up to but no matter who was on Adleman's squad over the years, they seemed to gel on the offensive set and everything ran smooth.  Now or at least last night it seems as if they look like the Golden State Warriors with Bibby and Artest.  They were running pretty basic offensive sets and the ball just was not quite moving in the half court like it had been in the past.

Kinda unrelated to the question/comments I made above...Why does Ronnie look like he didn't train over the summer?  He still looks slugish and out of sync on both ends of the court (save a few drives to the hoop).
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 11:18:24 AM »
1) Their defense has continued to improve like it was at the end of last season.  There was some great traps last night and I think Eric was making the right calls when to use it and when not to use it.  Really confused the heck out of the Laker squad for the most part.

Early results have been positive in turning the Kings into a more defensive-minded squad. Musselman is getting positive feedback from the players, though his conditioning regiment is harsh. Woods and Potapenko have both failed to pass it yet, and John Salmons failed to pass it his first try. It's a timed sprint from endline to endline. Players don't play in the pre-season until they pass it.

2) Their offense just does not seem as fluid.  Not sure what to chalk that up to but no matter who was on Adleman's squad over the years, they seemed to gel on the offensive set and everything ran smooth.  Now or at least last night it seems as if they look like the Golden State Warriors with Bibby and Artest.  They were running pretty basic offensive sets and the ball just was not quite moving in the half court like it had been in the past.

Kings have looked better offensively of late, but against quicker teams, like the Suns, this team may be overmatched. I expect teams to employ full-court presses to slow down the set plays and prevent the ballhandler from getting into position. The Hornets tried that in Reno on Sunday, with some success, but the Hornets aren't the Suns or Spurs, among others, who can beat the Kings' players to their spots quicker.

3) Kinda unrelated to the question/comments I made above...Why does Ronnie look like he didn't train over the summer?  He still looks slugish and out of sync on both ends of the court (save a few drives to the hoop).

Hmmm.... don't know why he looked like he did not workout to you. He has done nothing BUT workout.

He still stays after practice working with our young undrafted PF find from the summer league, Louis Amundson, for up to 2 and 1/2 hours just about every day. He apparently likes the kid so much, he wants him to make the team, which he likely will, now that Musselman cut Loren Woods yesterday.

Ron's shot looked like hell against the Lakers and Suns, but he was unguardable against the Hornets on Sunday. His main problem is an apparent overall sore body from TOO much activity over the summer. But Musselman and the other Kings' coaches can't get him to slow down any, and he insists on playing with the second and third stringers in preseason games after Bibby, Martin, Miller, and Thomas all have taken permenent seats on the bench.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 01:58:14 PM »
1) Their defense has continued to improve like it was at the end of last season.  There was some great traps last night and I think Eric was making the right calls when to use it and when not to use it.  Really confused the heck out of the Laker squad for the most part.

Early results have been positive in turning the Kings into a more defensive-minded squad. Musselman is getting positive feedback from the players, though his conditioning regiment is harsh. Woods and Potapenko have both failed to pass it yet, and John Salmons failed to pass it his first try. It's a timed sprint from endline to endline. Players don't play in the pre-season until they pass it.

2) Their offense just does not seem as fluid.  Not sure what to chalk that up to but no matter who was on Adleman's squad over the years, they seemed to gel on the offensive set and everything ran smooth.  Now or at least last night it seems as if they look like the Golden State Warriors with Bibby and Artest.  They were running pretty basic offensive sets and the ball just was not quite moving in the half court like it had been in the past.

Kings have looked better offensively of late, but against quicker teams, like the Suns, this team may be overmatched. I expect teams to employ full-court presses to slow down the set plays and prevent the ballhandler from getting into position. The Hornets tried that in Reno on Sunday, with some success, but the Hornets aren't the Suns or Spurs, among others, who can beat the Kings' players to their spots quicker.

3) Kinda unrelated to the question/comments I made above...Why does Ronnie look like he didn't train over the summer?  He still looks slugish and out of sync on both ends of the court (save a few drives to the hoop).

Hmmm.... don't know why he looked like he did not workout to you. He has done nothing BUT workout.

He still stays after practice working with our young undrafted PF find from the summer league, Louis Amundson, for up to 2 and 1/2 hours just about every day. He apparently likes the kid so much, he wants him to make the team, which he likely will, now that Musselman cut Loren Woods yesterday.

Ron's shot looked like hell against the Lakers and Suns, but he was unguardable against the Hornets on Sunday. His main problem is an apparent overall sore body from TOO much activity over the summer. But Musselman and the other Kings' coaches can't get him to slow down any, and he insists on playing with the second and third stringers in preseason games after Bibby, Martin, Miller, and Thomas all have taken permenent seats on the bench.

They started to improve once Ron showed up but they have continued even moreso.  I wouldn't be suprised to see them one of the better defensive teams in the league in a few years if they keep it up.

To me the sets just seemed like basic sets and not too much fluid movement/passing.  I understand it is the pre-season which is why I mentioned the sets more then the actual passing/shooting.  

Okay that explains it then.  To me he looked a little bit slower and not as aggressive.  I did not hear about his off-season much so I just assumed he was a little bit out of shape.  

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 04:37:11 PM »
No. It wasn't from lack of work. It is looking like Artest overdid it. He is getting back spasms that won't go away. He spends hours before and after practice working on things and especially likes to spend time with the new kids trying to make the League.

I suppose he is still in the honeymoon stage here, but he has been anything BUT the combustionable guy who broke up the Pacers.

If true leadership comes from setting a good example, that would describe Ron Artest in Sacramento. He leads by example as well as teaches. He shows how hard the work is to be competitive by doing the work. He demands to play in Summer Leagues, then stays late in the preseason helping rookies who want to work on their games, and honestly tells them in what areas they are lacking.

He and Bibby, who shed 15 pounds over the summer, both are taking their leadership roles seriously. With Artest though, you have to wonder how committed he is to that leadership image and if he is going to ever make another outragious mistake.

He has been acting like he knows his history won't let him get too far off track.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."