Author Topic: JoMal  (Read 1074 times)

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
JoMal
« on: November 16, 2007, 02:21:50 PM »
I thought I'd respond to several of your other threads.  First, thanks for your initial post about the state of the Kings.  Second, it's funny that you mentioned the T-Wolves as a team you hated to love.  Notice I used the past tense there.  Prior to that thread I was planning on talking to you about the decay of our respective teams.  The Wolves/Kings games during the Flip/Adelman years were so much fun to watch because of the style of play the coaches brought, not just the talent levels.  No other NBA teams were more committed to making the extra pass and both teams had a lot of guys who understood the game.  Now however.....

Well, let's just say one particular sequence in the recent game in Mpls summed it up.  Instead of Vlade or C-Webb making a nice pass on a back door cut to Bibby or Bobby Jackson and the Wolves counterattacking with veteran precision we were treated to Mikki Moore hurling the ball into Corey Brewers feet as he tried to get the ball to Quincy Douby.   The Wolves rushed the ball up court only to see Rashard McCants hoist up an off balance shot as the rest of the Wolves clogged the lane as if they had never heard the word "spacing".  The Kings then tried to fast break but whoever was dribbling made no effort to protect the ball and had it easily stolen by Sebastian Telfair who promptly tried some sort of half court pass that sailed untouched into the fourth row. 

Frankly, it looked like a couple of NBDL teams scrimmaging out there. 

Also, my condolences on having Theus as a coach.  His ego has always outweighted his accomplishments.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 02:27:55 PM by jn »
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: JoMal
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 05:49:18 PM »
Hi, jn -

The only thing worse then watching that debacle is having you describe just how bad it actually looked.

So it wasn't just me who felt this queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach as I observed a pile of bench players attempting to justify they belong on an NBA court? I have no idea what Mikki Moore is trying to do out there. As soon as he signed with the Kings, his shot disappeared, his hands got some kind of arthritis, or stonitis, and he has Theus playing him twenty plus minutes a game. Huh??

Orien Greene <since cut, as of yesterday> was given the job of replacing Mike Bibby in the starting line-up for the first two games of the season. Once Reggie figured out he has nothing to offer but some defense, and even that is questionable, he benched him for Cisco Garcia. Better, but hardly your ideal point guard.

Theus talks a mean game, but he has nothing to work with. Now that Artest is back, Kevin Martin, our only true offensive "star" clearly has no idea if and when he will see the ball. Artest kind of takes over the games and only passes if he gets in trouble, so Kevin's comfort zone working with John Salmons is gone, and ain't likely to come back.

As for your Wolves, they clearly are a turnover waiting to happen. If they were not playing the most inept and unatheletic team in the League, that would have extended your misery. So...you're welcome.

Don't know how attendance is this year for the Wolves, but the Kings' are not coming close to filling out Arco any more.

But back to more interesting times. I always got a knot in my stomach when I saw the Wolves, with Flip and Garnett that is, coming up on the schedule. Every time the Kings won against Minnesota back then was, to me, a revelation because it did not seem to happen too often. 

Classic love/hate relationship. Garnett versus Webber was the best thing going and it clearly brought the best out of each player. Don't you just hate the fact that things can never stay the same forever?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."