Author Topic: Is the 3rd seed in the west important  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Is the 3rd seed in the west important
« on: March 09, 2004, 04:39:06 PM »
Memphis has been coming on strong...second best record in the NBA since Jan 1 at 24-7 (Indy is 24-6).  They sit only one game behind Dallas for the 5th seed.  And Memphis IMO is more scary as a first round opponent than Dallas.  Memphis is .500 on the road while Dallas has a .367 percentage.  Besides the fact that Hubie has heard of defense while Nellie thinks it is a bunch of white pickets around da yard.

Maybe the West is now a Super Six instead of a Big Five.  And the only the top 2 seeds should have an easy first round matchup.   Assuming that Yao & the Rockets could be called easy.

As it stands today

Sac vs Den
Minn vs Hou
SA vs Mem
LA vs Dal
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

jn

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 05:10:35 PM »
Interesting question.  While the Grizz are definitely playing good ball I think they will be out in the first round simply because they lack playoff experience.  And while Hubie definitely has heard of defense, Williams and Gasol still don't play it well enough.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 05:47:00 PM »
Memphis has been coming on strong...second best record in the NBA since Jan 1 at 24-7 (Indy is 24-6).  They sit only one game behind Dallas for the 5th seed.  And Memphis IMO is more scary as a first round opponent than Dallas.  Memphis is .500 on the road while Dallas has a .367 percentage.  Besides the fact that Hubie has heard of defense while Nellie thinks it is a bunch of white pickets around da yard.

Maybe the West is now a Super Six instead of a Big Five.  And the only the top 2 seeds should have an easy first round matchup.   Assuming that Yao & the Rockets could be called easy.

As it stands today

Sac vs Den
Minn vs Hou
SA vs Mem
LA vs Dal
It seems at the same time that Pop stopped the repression on the Spurs that Grunty has let up his repression on Hou.  100+ in wins over MN and DAL.

If, and it's a huge if that Van Grunty will continue to let Hou play O, look out.

If Pop and Grunty both give their offenses the best chance to win:

Dont mess with Texas

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 07:05:36 PM »
I've been talking about the 3rd seed with other b-ball junkies.  IMO it's vital for any team to get one of the top 3 seeds for the simple reason that the top 3 will face two of the other 5 elite MAX, while the rest of the seeds could face 3 of the elite.  IMO the elite are Kings, Lakers, Wolves, Spurs and Dallas (in that order) come playoff time.  IMO the Lakers and Mavs will face off in round one.  The guantlet will only begin at that point.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 07:25:30 PM »
I've been talking about the 3rd seed with other b-ball junkies.  IMO it's vital for any team to get one of the top 3 seeds for the simple reason that the top 3 will face two of the other 5 elite MAX, while the rest of the seeds could face 3 of the elite.  IMO the elite are Kings, Lakers, Wolves, Spurs and Dallas (in that order) come playoff time.  IMO the Lakers and Mavs will face off in round one.  The guantlet will only begin at that point.
I'm not sure that I think any first round in the WC is going to be a cakewalk.  And, personally, as a Laker fan, I would rather the Lakers face stiff competition all along than have an easy first round -- they really need to dig down rather than come off an easy sweep -- but it looks like we won't play the Spurs in the first round so that probably won't happen.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 08:06:33 PM »
Randy,

Heard Kobe interviewed two days ago and he was asked about the possibility of losing in the first round.  Kobe said no way, he would will the Lakers through the first round BUT he said he can't get them out of the 2nd round.  The other Lakers need to step up their game to get through the first round.  He was then asked about the current performances and he said no way they get out of round two playing the way they've been playing all year.  A healthy squad would help tremendously.

I wonder who's going on IR once Karl is back?  I hope and pray to Allah it's Devean.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 09:27:05 AM »
Think this basketball year, at least on this board, is going to be much different. There is so much parity among the elite teams in the West, I don't think any of us would be suprised if our teams went on, or, were eliminated in the first round.  The West is THAT GOOD this year. I CAN'T WAIT!
Paul

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 01:14:30 PM »
Think this basketball year, at least on this board, is going to be much different. There is so much parity among the elite teams in the West, I don't think any of us would be suprised if our teams went on, or, were eliminated in the first round.  The West is THAT GOOD this year. I CAN'T WAIT!
Thats the truth.  We all think our team is going to win it all but damn its so close that any of the top WC teams could knock any one of our teams off.  I know we all will be very pissed if our favorite team doesnt make it but at the end of the day Im sure we all can agree that it will be good basketball from start to finish.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004, 01:35:24 PM »
No, it will only be good if the Lakers lose WK, but we know the CT won't allow that. That way, haters for hatings sake have an out, no matter what happens, how convenient.
Dan