Author Topic: Hey Kobe, don't let the door hit you on your  (Read 2705 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Hey Kobe, don't let the door hit you on your
« on: March 08, 2004, 05:16:36 PM »
Saturday, March 06, 2004 - Page updated at 12:28 A.M.

Sonics
Notebook: Lakers' Bryant injures shoulder

By Percy Allen
Seattle Times staff reporter

LOS ANGELES — Early in the first quarter of the Los Angeles Lakers' 99-91 victory over the Sonics last night, Kobe Bryant tried to run through a pick set by Sonics forward Reggie Evans, and the Lakers guard buckled to his knees after the collision.

He knelt on the court for several minutes while being treated by trainer Gary Vitti. Holding his right shoulder, Bryant walked gingerly to the locker room with 11:06 remaining in the period and did not return.

He was taken to Centinela Hospital, where an MRI exam revealed a sprained shoulder. Kareem Rush replaced Bryant.

In January, Bryant missed six games because of a sprained AC joint in his right shoulder.

Allen would fit in L.A.

In a moment of levity last month, Minnesota guard Sam Cassell suggested what he believed would be the perfect destination for friend Ray Allen if the All-Star guard was unable to resign with the Sonics.

"Ray would be perfect with the Lakers," he said. "With Kobe (Bryant) or without Kobe, Ray would fit in. They've been trying to find a shooter like him for years. Mitch Richmond, Glen Rice, (Isaiah) Rider. Ray would be perfect for Shaq."

When told of Cassell's suggestion, Allen didn't flinch.

He expressed similar thoughts at last month's All-Star Game, when he played alongside O'Neal and Bryant.

"I could play with Shaq because I know what Shaq needs. He needs touches," Allen said. "I've laughed at the feuds and squabbles they've been having down here between Shaq and Kobe. That wouldn't happen with me.

"There would be no power struggle at all. ... There's only a few players you look at and say, 'Yeah, I want to play with him.' Shaq is one of them because I've never played with a dominant center before."

Allen's contract expires after the 2004-05 season. He expects to talk about an extension with the Sonics this summer.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 05:21:26 PM »
Can I tempt him with a Tommie Burger?

Seriously, Ray Would be a good fit, and his desire and ablility to play within a system not only would compliment Shaq, it would also induce Malone and Payton to stick around as well, at least Malone understands what a sytem is and why it is more effective than individual heroics. Payton would see the benefit as well if everyone was on the same page.
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 05:25:00 PM »
Can I tempt him with a Tommie Burger?

Seriously, Ray Would be a good fit, and his desire and ablility to play within a system not only would compliment Shaq, it would also induce Malone and Payton to stick around as well, at least Malone understands what a sytem is and why it is more effective than individual heroics. Payton would see the benefit as well if everyone was on the same page.
Gary wouldn't see shiznit.  

Ever since Houston was a Piston FA (BEFORE he joined the Knicks) I wondered what it would be like to have a reliable outside shooter.  Glen Rice didn't cut it because his kneeds where way over the hill and his jumper sucked.  Ray Allen would be awesome but the Lakers would need a slasher because without Kobe the Lakers have ZERO.

Keep Kobe and Ray?  Pretty much impossible.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 07:30:51 PM »
In all honesty, the Lakers without Kobe, but still with Shaq, Malone, and Payton and with the addition of Allen would be a heck of a lot scarier then if Kobe stays there instead of Allen coming in. Without Kobe, sure the Lakers lack a slasher, but face it, in tight games right now everyone knows Kobe won't be sharing the ball with anyone else and it will be win with Kobe or lose with Kobe every time.

If you take Kobe out of the picture, opponents are faced with the unknown in those situations. Not what we want to see, believe me.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 07:47:54 PM »
In all honesty, the Lakers without Kobe, but still with Shaq, Malone, and Payton and with the addition of Allen would be a heck of a lot scarier then if Kobe stays there instead of Allen coming in. Without Kobe, sure the Lakers lack a slasher, but face it, in tight games right now everyone knows Kobe won't be sharing the ball with anyone else and it will be win with Kobe or lose with Kobe every time.

If you take Kobe out of the picture, opponents are faced with the unknown in those situations. Not what we want to see, believe me.
LOL.  You know this isnt true JoMaL.  Seems more like wishfull thinking comming from a fan of a team that Kobe has been notorious for torching in the playoffs on their home court.

Ray Allen is not a play maker.  He is a shooter.  Kobe is a play maker.  Ray Allen is also not a big time playoff clutch player.  Kobe is.  He has proved it many times over the course of his career.  How do opponents know exactly what Kobe will do but have no idea about Allen?  Allen is not a slasher and cannot get to the rack like Kobe can either. 8 times out of 10 Allen pulls up to shoot.

And JoMaL, plenty of huge plays in the playoffs have come from Kobe passing the ball.  In fact the Lakers might not have ever won the first title if it wasnt for Kobe's momentum changing alley-oop to Shaq.  You can rewrite history up in Sac-town but down here we see it different.  Right now, in tight games, Kobe has been passing the ball.  How many games have you watched since the all-star break aside from the Kings/Lakers matchup?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 07:53:21 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2004, 08:24:00 PM »
Agreed westkoad, I don't see Allen outrebounding Tim Duncan and David Robinson for a crucial late game rebound then going up and putting in the bucket on the seven footers (especially now with DR in retirement ;) )

I'll take Kobe/Shaq over Allen/Payton/Malone/Shaq.  It seemed to work as long as Shaq stayed in some sort of shape that wasn't round.  Then again some of the most clutch Laker role players since B. Scott and M. Cooper are either gone (Horry) or lost (Fisher).
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2004, 09:57:13 PM »

Oh, please, JoMal.  We all know that Kobe is a clutch player -- whether it's shooting, passing and/or slashing to the basket.  As for Kobe's selfish play, it's pretty hard to be selfish and still average 11 assists over his last three games.  There are times when I question Kobe's choice of play but I don't question Kobe overall -- even in a season when he isn't quite himself (you can tell that the trial weighs on his mind).

One question though, how come Webber and the Kings can arrange CWebb's trial to fit his (and the Kings) schedule.  Will you have the Maloof's call Buss and tell them whose palm they greased to make that happen?  The Lakers want to make sure and make the same "arrangements."  

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2004, 10:17:53 PM »
This is all true, but I am thinking if Kobe leaves at the end of the season, which seems like a real possibility. Allen is a nice fit and the drop off isn't a death blow.
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 02:22:37 AM »
This is all true, but I am thinking if Kobe leaves at the end of the season, which seems like a real possibility. Allen is a nice fit and the drop off isn't a death blow.

Agreed but he is not a better player than Kobe.  He is not as good on the defensive end, he is not a play maker night in and night out, and he doesn't have the killer instinct in the playoffs.  I can only imagine how well Allen would do with the kind of space Shaq makes for outside shooters.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 02:24:09 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com