Author Topic: Interview with Ron Artest on ....  (Read 1196 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Interview with Ron Artest on ....
« on: January 30, 2006, 06:51:09 PM »
Chris Rose: “Hi Ron, how are you?”

Ron Artest: “Everything is good, you know, I’m feeling good. I can’t even explain how I’m feeling now. I’m just blessed to be a King right now, I just feel real blessed.”

Chris Rose: “You have to be. Are you somewhat relieved that this whole process is over?”

Ron Artest: “Definitely, it feels good to back on the court. It’s been a long, long month and some days. I had a lot of good times with the Pacers, I have a lot of love for Indiana still. But it’s going to feel good to go to Sacramento… I wish I didn’t have this echo in my ear though, making me say things twice. But it’s ok, it feels good to go to California…California…California (crowd laughs).”

John Salley: “Ron, we’ve heard about all the voices in your head, but…Brother man, I’m glad you read that script we put on the teleprompter, but know I need you to get real with me, don’t do the politically correct thing…”

Ron Artest: “[in a funny voice] Yo, yo, yo—you know what I’m saying. I’m glad to be back…”

John Salley: “Exactly…now 24 hours ago you didn’t want to be a King and now you want to be a King…”

Ron Artest: “That wasn’t true.”

John Salley: “OK, tell me the truth.”

Ron Artest: “That wasn’t true—just trying to make sure things were right before anything was done. My agent was looking out for me, to just try and make sure I’ll feel comfortable wherever I’m going. He did a great job, I have nothing against Sacramento. But really, when I heard about those Sacramento trades way back when I first said I wanted to be traded, I had a purple shirt on—go back to the game. I had a purple tie and a purple shirt. So I feel pretty good to be honest.”

Rodney Peete: “So have you spoken to anyone in the organization? What did the Maloof’s tell you?”

Ron Artest: “You know, it was a nice conversation. They’re looking forward to me and I’m trying to get there as soon as possible. I spoke to Geoff (Petrie), Bibby, Brad Miller’s my boy. We’ve been in Chicago together, got traded to Indiana together…together…echo…echo. Can somebody fix that please…please. It’s killing me.”

Rob Dibble: “Hey Ron, can you guarantee—you’ve talked to the Maloofs, everything has worked out for the best—you’ll be controversy-free for the rest of the season?”

Ron Artest: “I mean, I’m going to play hard, I’m going to play my game first and foremost and I’m going to try and make people see a different Ron Artest, you know, one that is less controversial but at the same time be myself…at the same time be myself and try and have fun. But most important is winning.”

Chris Rose: “Ron, Gavin Maloof said that, ‘this is a gamble, but we’re gamblers and we feel that it’s a risk worth taking.’ In your opinion, is it a gamble to take Ron Artest?”

Ron Artest: “I think given the circumstances that I’ve been under, things I’ve been through, and everything I’ve been a part of, yeah, that’s a fair statement. I want to prove everyone wrong and I want to do the right thing by the Sacramento Kings. The Pacers gave me the opportunity to take my game to another level and I feel the Sacramento Kings are going to do that for me also. Most important though, I want to be a part of a winning team and I want to do whatever it takes to win. It’s a gamble, but at the same time I want to prove everybody wrong that it was a good choice. But, you know, of course there is going to be media out there looking for things. I think I want to prove them wrong. At first I didn’t want to prove them wrong, but now it’s time I start proving everyone wrong.”

John Salley: “Now, I know you have been working out because you are a great professional, but are you in playing shape? Can you go out there and start playing tomorrow and give me a good 15 points and 15 rebounds-type game.”

Ron Artest: “Man…that’s not even funny, that’s like easy. But it’s more important to win. I would love to get 81 like Kobe, which is impossible, but it’s more important that we win. That’s all I’m thinking about, definitely.”

Chris Rose: “Well, speaking of Kobe Bryant, the next time the Sacramento Kings play the Los Angeles Lakers is February 23rd. Any chance he’s going to drop 81 on you?”

Ron Artest: “Why are you trying to insult me?”

Chris Rose: “My bad…”

John Salley: “Real question…If Kobe’s got 57 and there is a whole 12 minutes to go, what happens if he runs up against you? He’s got 57 already. What’s going to happen?”

Ron Artest: “Right, I mean if he has 57 on me, my job is to not let him get 59. If he scores 59, my job is to not let him score 61. My job is to continue to play hard. That’s out of the question man, you know what I’m saying. Something like that is not happening. I’ll leave that for the other weak defenders in the NBA.”

John Salley: “That’s my Ron Artest, that’s what I like to hear!”

Rodney Peete: “Hey Ron, when will you join the team? When will we see you on the court?”

Ron Artest: “You know, hopefully asap. I feel relieved, you know. I thank Donnie Walsh for making this happen. I think it’s good for me, good for the team. I just feel very motivated right now, ready to put the music to the side a little bit. I’m ready to focus on ball, I still haven’t reached my potential. Everybody is treating my like I won a championship or I won a MVP or something like that—guys are saying I’m that good or whatever. I still don’t think I’ve reached my potential, and I want to try to see how far I could take it individually—but first and foremost is team, which is most important. I want to win, it’s first on my list.”

Chris Rose: “Alright Ronnie. As always we appreciate the time, best of luck in Sacramento. The good news is that it’s like an hour flight down here to Los Angeles, so you come down here and hang out with us on your days off, alright buddy?”

Ron Artest: “Hey, I can see myself through John Salley’s (bald) head.”

video of this
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5276580

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 12:16:53 AM »
Ron Artest: “Man…that’s not even funny, that’s like easy. But it’s more important to win. I would love to get 81 like Kobe, which is impossible, but it’s more important that we win. That’s all I’m thinking about, definitely.”

Chris Rose: “Well, speaking of Kobe Bryant, the next time the Sacramento Kings play the Los Angeles Lakers is February 23rd. Any chance he’s going to drop 81 on you?”

Ron Artest: “Why are you trying to insult me?”

Chris Rose: “My bad…”

John Salley: “Real question…If Kobe’s got 57 and there is a whole 12 minutes to go, what happens if he runs up against you? He’s got 57 already. What’s going to happen?”

Ron Artest: “Right, I mean if he has 57 on me, my job is to not let him get 59. If he scores 59, my job is to not let him score 61. My job is to continue to play hard. That’s out of the question man, you know what I’m saying. Something like that is not happening. I’ll leave that for the other weak defenders in the NBA.”

John Salley: “That’s my Ron Artest, that’s what I like to hear!”

1 Maybe Vince Carter was right about Kobe influening kids.

2. On Kobes 81.."...That’s out of the question man, you know what I’m saying. Something like that is not happening. I’ll leave that for the other weak defenders in the NBA.” :up:   Get Artest some proper medication and a Spurs uniform.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 02:50:21 PM »
Then Ron telling our Sacramento Bee beat reporter that he is guaranteeing the Kings will make the playoffs this year, and his King's teammates all jumping on board the prediction.

If he can get this team to start playing with some heart, I will lead the Ron Artest parade down J Street myself.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 02:55:52 PM »
Then Ron telling our Sacramento Bee beat reporter that he is guaranteeing the Kings will make the playoffs this year, and his King's teammates all jumping on board the prediction.

If he can get this team to start playing with some heart, I will lead the Ron Artest parade down J Street myself.
Sometimes you have to have a player with a big enough mouth to say something like 'we are going to make the playoffs guarenteed' to get the rest of the team to be like 'YEA WE ARE WHAT RON SAID!!'  Why they need to be motivated by a comment of that nature instead of wanting to just do it anyways.... I don't know but you have to at least give Ron props for motivating the team.

Look what Sheed's big mouth did for Detroit, he got the team to rally behind his comment when they seemed down and out.

:rofl:  @ Ron Artest teaching them how to talk on the defensive end.  Did Adleman not notice this in the past few seasons?!?!?!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 02:56:26 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 03:43:41 PM »

I think the Kings could definitely make the playoffs and Ronny could be just the guy to light the fire.  Basketball is such a game of momentum, both on a micro and macro level.  As of right now, New Olreans/Oklahoma is in the 8th seed (which is pretty darn amazing to me ... props to B. Scott) and the Kings are only 4 games behind them.  That's nothing with 1/2 a season remaining.  If the Kings w/Ron can get some wins, get their confidence up and get a little momentum going I think they have a great shot.  

Everyone's calling the trade a gamble, but don't most gamles have a downside?  I don't really see much of a downside in this trade for the Kings.  If they didn't make a move, I don't think the Kings would have had a snowballs chance to make the playoffs at this point in the season.  If they still miss the playoffs w/Ron, they're going to blow the team up anyway, so it's not like Ronny can do that much damage.  

I guess the only damage could be if ticket sales drop b/c fans don't want to support a selfish, psycho who's single-handedly imploded two teams.  Kind of like what happened in P-Town.  Then again, what other options do Sac fans have for sports related entertainment in the region ... Monster Truck Rally's? WWF Wrestling at Arco?  Strong Man competition?  Rodeo's?  Does NASCAR even come out that way ... they must with that high of a per capita redneck population  :cheers:

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 03:45:48 PM »

Sometimes you have to have a player with a big enough mouth to say something like 'we are going to make the playoffs guarenteed' to get the rest of the team to be like 'YEA WE ARE WHAT RON SAID!!'  Why they need to be motivated by a comment of that nature instead of wanting to just do it anyways.... I don't know but you have to at least give Ron props for motivating the team.

Look what Sheed's big mouth did for Detroit, he got the team to rally behind his comment when they seemed down and out.

:rofl:  @ Ron Artest teaching them how to talk on the defensive end.  Did Adleman not notice this in the past few seasons?!?!?!
Oh, I am sure Rick has mentioned it a few times in passing. In between running the Princeton Offense constantly in practice. But that glue these guys use on the soles of their Nikes......about time someone replaced it. I think I saw Miller elevate two inches off the court the other night. What was he thinking?  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."