Author Topic: Poll: Is Artest a top 10 player  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Poll: Is Artest a top 10 player
« on: January 06, 2006, 02:10:37 AM »
Of course Indiana is saying yes, but so are a good number of Mediaites.

What really matters is what do you think?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 09:36:57 AM »
Hmmmmm.....let's see....

TD
Shaq
KG
Kobe
Amare
LeBron
JO
AI
Dirk
T-Mac

so.....NOPE!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 11:01:31 AM »
Top 10?  No way.  Maybe not even top 20.  Add to WOW's list (a great list, I might add):

Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Ray Allen
Shawn Marion
Chauncey Billups
Elton Brand
Baron Davis
Dwyane Wade
Rashard Lewis
Pau Gasol
Jason Richardson
Andrei Kirilenko

I'd put all of these guys at or above Artest's level, so I don't even believe the guy is top *20*.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 11:19:18 AM »
Just looking at Joe's list.
I would put Artest ahead od Ray Allen, Jason Kidd, Baron Davis, Rashard Lewis, Pau Gasol and Jason Richardson.

Ray Allen - I'll take Ron Artest @ 20 ppg with all-league defense over Ray Allen at 24 ppg.  Of course, it depends on if we're asking them to be a #1 option or a #2 option.

Jason Kidd - Kidd's just not the same after Microfracture.  I've watched him quite a bit, and his defense has fallen a LOT.  When he used to be an all-nba defender, right now he's mediocre, at best.

Baron Davis - Injuries and shot selection.  Oh the shot selection.

Rashard Lewis - love the stats, great #2 option, Ron influences the game more.  

Pau Gasol - This one's close, I like Pau, but I don't think he has the meanstreak in him to consistently dominate.  I think Ron has that on BOTH ends of the court.

Jason Richardson - Still not a good enough defensive player.  When he's at SG, his opponents have an equal eFG% and just about the same PER.  That's not what you want from a franchise player.

Just talking about their ability to play the game, just talking about what they bring on the basketball court, not taking into account the fact that Artest could go crazy and his effect on the lockerroom, Artest is DEFINITELY a top 20 player in the game.  Top 10?  No.  But probably top 15.  Ron can dominate on both ends of the court.  He can post up with the best of SF's, slash, hit the open J, and he's an intimidating defender who's one of the best in the game.

guest-koast

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 11:53:32 AM »
I do not think so.  Pick any of the lists above with any variations and either way Artest does not make top 10.  Aside from playing very little ball the last 2 years I do not think his defensive intensity makes up for his offense.  He is not really a finisher nor is he a good slasher or jump shot shooter.  Hes not poor, just not top 5 on that side of the ball.   Plus I think there are a number of  defenders better than him right now (Bowen, TD, AK come to mind off the top)

Top 20? I've seen him play so little over the last 2 years I do not know if I can make a case for him even there.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 02:17:15 PM »
If...or should I say....IF Artest can stay on the floor for a full season I would say he is definately top 20.  But a top 20 player HAS to play to be considered that high.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

rickortreat

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 02:39:37 PM »
I agree with Dabods and Lurker.  Not a top Ten player, but a top 20 and certainly has the ability to become a top 10 at some point.

But the big problem with Artest is how he handles himself.  Until and unless he can correct those issues, he won't be reliable enough to be a top 10 player.

By the way,

I didn't see Chris Webber on any of these lists.  The guy is averaging a double double, practically. What else does it take?

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 02:44:48 PM »
By the way,

I didn't see Chris Webber on any of these lists.  The guy is averaging a double double, practically. What else does it take?
Webber's defense limits his effectiveness and ranking.

As for Artest being a top ten (or top twenty, for that matter) player, in a word, no.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 03:06:04 PM »
Webber is another guy I think is a better player than Artest.

I'm looking at Artest being - at best, top 25 or top 30.  But I don't think he's top 20, and there's no way he's top 10.  In fact, I don't see him *EVER* being top 10, given that youngsters like Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, Chris Bosh, and Andrew Bogut figure to develop into progressively better players than they currently are.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 03:59:23 PM »
Webber is another guy I think is a better player than Artest.

I'm looking at Artest being - at best, top 25 or top 30.  But I don't think he's top 20, and there's no way he's top 10.  In fact, I don't see him *EVER* being top 10, given that youngsters like Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, Chris Bosh, and Andrew Bogut figure to develop into progressively better players than they currently are.
Don't you mean Andew Bynum?   :lol:  
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 04:00:36 PM »
I'd put Webber ahead of Pau Gasol at least.   Pau is really lacking in the post moves department.  Webber has a few post moves, can hit the jumper, and still is a good passer.  Like JoMaL said though, his inability to move as well as he use to drops his stock.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 04:41:52 PM »
Webber has a few post moves, can hit the jumper, and still is a good passer.

I thought it prudent to mention that Gasol has really made improvements by leaps and bounds this year.  I think his inspired play this year has lead to a surprisinly potent Memphis attack and a much better record than I would've given them credit for this year.  One of the stark improvements has been Pau's passing game, a career 2.8 apg, he's now dishing out 4.1 helpers (and 6.4 apg in his last 5 games).  He's getting one more point and one more rebound over his career average, not to mention the intangible "mean" streak he's been plagued for not carrying.  His post moves have become less mechanical and he's improved his range, also.  One place he's made a horrible regression though is free-throw shooting, added concentration helps him out there hopefully.  On the overall I've been very impressed with Pau Gasol this year.  

Since that whole paragraph was    :ot:    let me get back to Artest
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anybody in our fantasy league want to trade for him, I'll give ya a good deal... B)

He is most definitely not Top 10 player.  I think that when he is on the court, focusing on basketball and the team, he makes a pretty good case for being a top 20 player but I tend to agree with Joe in that the top 20 is definitely shady.  

Aside from being an inefficient scorer, you can't escape the fact that he is a headcase and he is prone to acts of unbelievable selfishness.  I think that brings Artest down to being an average starter in the NBA.  I don't know that if I were a GM that I would give up All-Star Level Talent (essentially Top 24) for Ron Artest.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 04:42:43 PM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 04:49:43 PM »
I didn't see Chris Webber on any of these lists. The guy is averaging a double double, practically. What else does it take?

Defense.

Webber might be top 30.  *might*.  Even that I doubt.

If it wasn't for Artest's $0.02 head, I'd trade Webber for him in a second.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 04:59:42 PM »
Anybody in our fantasy league want to trade for him, I'll give ya a good deal... B)
Your offer wasn't much of a deal!  :nonono:  :crazy:  :bs:

I am interested in making a change to my roster since I now seem to suck the MOST.  I don't have the time nor the inclination at this point to try and figure out what's wrong with my squad, this is actually on of my fav rosters in years.  

I'm just thinking of taking the Bitch Kupcake approach and make a trade for the sake of making a trade.  My last trade didn't do much for me, I traded two guys who didn't get off the bench for two OTHER guys who don't get off my bench.

Ziggy, did the trade help you?  I didn't help me but at least it didn't hurt me.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"